GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Heated glove liners vs heated grips

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  frog4aday 
#1 ·
As a former spoiled Californian who's been exiled to the midwest, this is my first season dealing with riding in sh*tty cold weather that's not rain (it's not even winter and it's snowing... poor me).

I have no experience with heated gear or grips, but I'm looking at heated glove liners as an option being that they are cheaper and I figure I could use them in the car as well.

How well does heated hand gear perform vs heated grips?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have no experience with heated grips but i can vouch for the FIVE HG1 rechargeable heated gloves.
They are waterproof, really well made, light for a winter glove (battery adds weight of course) and best of all warm.
3 heat settings, last a couple of hours or more on the highest setting.

Used them in winters where temps are 0.C or i guess around 30F for you Muricans.
The heating elements cover the back of the hand and fingers entirely.

If it were colder than this, i'd go for both heated gloves and grips. Warmth from inside and out would see you through almost anything.

#3 ·
Heated liners sound like a good idea and with the right gloves will probably work quite well. Before you go off and invest you need to think how tight are your existing gloves. If there isn't room for the liner and the glove is too tight you will only cut off the circulation in your fingers and then have cold AND uncomfortable hands.
Sometimes it's best just to invest in the proper gear for the time of year. A good set of winter gloves sized to fit with a liner or grips will always be best. Goretex or similar is always an added bonus

#4 ·
I've got heated glove liners and have also used heated grips on my previous bike and I'll take the convenience of the grips on a bike any day of the week.

My Koso heated grips are waiting for me at work where I got them delivered but I've used the liners on the last few rides and here's the routine I go through:

1. Make sure the batteries are charged.
2. Put the batteries into the pouch that goes where your wrist is.
3. Put the liners on and fight with the battery pack pouch to barely fit under the sleeve of my jacket.
4. Put my motorcycle gloves on over the liners.
5. Hope I didn't forget anything that requires my bare hands or I'll be doing it all again.

When I get to a spot I want to pull over and have a coffee or whatever, I need to now reverse the process and have the liners to carry around besides the gloves and helmet (stuff them all in the helmet).

Get back on the bike and it's # 1-5 all over again.

For a bike, the grips are just way more convenient. However, I have used the liners shoveling snow on a bitterly cold day or skiing, etc so they have their place and I'd still own a pair anyways but on a bike the grips win easily for me.

These are the exact pair I have here:

Reactions: Beaker
#5 ·
I’ve been riding in temps. as low as 7 degrees and have tried about everything. Heated grips are nice on cooler days but not when it gets cold, your knuckles go numb once the temperature gets too cold. Dedicated heated gloves is the way to go. I have been using gebring stuff for years. The glove mittens that atv’s use works very well with a decent set of gloves, even down in the teens. Another option is hand guards with heated grips, that will work well also. The wind is the enemy so keeping it off of your knuckles is the secret. Dedicated heated gloves is the best but most expensive option, atv mitts is the budget option and does work very well. Snowmobiles use them. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
My Gebring heated gloves make cold weather riding a breeze. They are waterproof and a whilst being a bit of a faff to put on, but they give warmth to your whole hand with out the hassle of liners and trying to find a pair of gloves that accomodate the liners AND your fingers. I hard-wired them to the battery as you can't forget to disconnect them and batteries would need recharging between commutes. They got me biking through The Beast from the East winter in UK.

#7 ·
I agree with Packmule. I have both heated grips on my FJ-09 and heated gloves. The heated grips are good when you know it's going to warm up later, like on spring morning when I'm heading north to the meeting spot and my hands are a little chilly they work perfect. But winter days I need my heated gear jacket and gloves, the gloves heat my hands up and hold the heat in the glove. I bought my heated stuff at Cycle Gear jacket and gloves work great and have a life time

#8 ·
I use a combination of all the above. Have Oxford heated grips on my GSXS1000 and they are awesome. The best thing about them is that they’re always available. Been caught out several times and didn’t start off using them but got to a higher elevation or got caught in the rain and warmth was just a button push away! I wear some cold weather gloves to help with the backside of my hands getting cold if the temperatures warrant it and have been comfortable in the mid 30’sF. I do have a set of dedicated heated gloves and think that’s a better route to go over liners because of the discomfort of have liners under gloves not meant to have liners under. These gloves do work good and keep your whole hand warm but I find myself not wanting to fool with them 90% of the time and just use my heated grips and cold weather gloves. My usual cold weather combination is a heated vest, heated grips, and cold weather gloves.

#9 ·
It was 36F when I started out this morning. I went into work for a while. When I rode home it was 48F. I have a set of Mobil Warming gloves (lipo battery powered) and they have worked fine for my commute. I usually only use them on half or quarter power and my hands are toasty. It's some of the other parts that can get chilled.

#12 ·
As a former spoiled Californian who's been exiled to the midwest, this is my first season dealing with riding in sh*tty cold weather that's not rain (it's not even winter and it's snowing... poor me). I have no experience with heated gear or grips, but I'm looking at heated glove liners as an option being that they are cheaper and I figure I could use them in the car as well. How well does heated hand gear perform vs heated grips?
You need BOTH - the heated handgrips AND the heated gloves or liners. If you don't ever ride in really cold weather, you can get by with waterproof gloves (because they are WINDPROOF, too) and heated grips. But where you are now, with the temps you'll be facing, heated grips and windproof gloves aren't going to be enough. The backs of your hands will get so cold, it won't matter that the palm of your hand is on fire.

I currently live in a 'heated-grips-work-fine' place now (south Texas) but in another life, I lived in the frigid cold of the Colorado mountains (town sat at 7000 feet and got over 150 inches of snow or more each year) and that's when I discovered the joy and genius of heated gloves. Worth the money. But you want the heated grips, too. With both, you will be fine. I would strongly encourage you to get a heated vest, too. That was the best purchase for cold weather EVER. And I think if I had to spend one more year in that wintery h e l l, I would have been seeking out heated pants/liners, too. Legs froze no matter what. But hey...ya gotta ride to stay alive so you do what you need to do, right? Good luck to you.

I like the TOURMASTER SYNERGY stuff. Find it here:
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/tourmaster-synergy-heated-apparel.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.