User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Heated gear battery wiring routing?

I'm new to heated gear and I gave in and bought some Hotwired heated gloves and a heated jacket liner at Cyclegear.

I originally thought I would try to route the battery wiring to the handlebar like the clutch cable, but it's too short. I currently have it sticking out between the tank and frame on the front right side, just in front of the side panel/next to the frame weld/near the PAIR valve hose to airbox connection point. Definitely a bit unsightly. I also tried routing it near the frame hole next to my frame sliders but figured it would be better to have the wiring as high as possible so I don't get it tangled with my legs or somehow the tires. I also thought about routing it out of the seat or passenger seat but was worried if I would break something if I ever forgot to disconnect it before dismounting.

Any suggestions on a good wiring setup?

Last edited by gsxsdave; 11-12-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
If you can come up by the front right or left side of the rider's seat and then zip tie it to a frame rail or something 'static' so it can't fall down into the chain or rear wheel, that would get it mostly out of view when not using it. I have a velcro 'tie' I use to bundle up the cable when not using it.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Garage
This brings up another good question, how much can our bike handle? I had a first gen FZ1 and it would handle my vest just fine but if I wore the pants liners too it'd deplete the battery as I had overloaded the charging system. It's the reason I replaced that bike with my FJR. Now I have a full Gerbing suit, but have neglected to put a connector on the Gixxus because I didn't know if it could handle it.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
This brings up another good question, how much can our bike handle? I had a first gen FZ1 and it would handle my vest just fine but if I wore the pants liners too it'd deplete the battery as I had overloaded the charging system. It's the reason I replaced that bike with my FJR. Now I have a full Gerbing suit, but have neglected to put a connector on the Gixxus because I didn't know if it could handle it.
I have run my gerbing jacket for 2 years with no issues, looking to add gloves to the mix very soon. As for routing, I bring mine out at the front of the seat to plug in my jacket.

Slow is fast
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Interested as well. For the Hotwired gear, gloves + jacket liner = 8.2 amp draw. With pants liner, add another 3.2 amps. Can't seem to find any info on what the charging system can handle for this or a GSXR.

Maybe top off battery with a tender, check voltage, go for a ride, come home, and recheck voltage?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page