LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Unread 01-04-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
gona change gearing

hey there,

title says it, i wana change the gearing. i'd like a bit shorter i think, after reading a bunch people seem to be going 16/46 alot.
stock 2016 1000 naked. stock 190/50 size.

wondering if people have recommendations on dampened fronts? (read the stock is dampened and would like to keep it like that)

and most people do the vortex rear.

really loving the bike so far though. but am open to ideas, (curious i see a bunch of people getting 190/55 any reasoning?)
post #2 of 6 Unread 01-05-2020, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Get with the dampened front sprocket, same price so why not...I didn't think it would matter but it does....I also went Vortex 46 on the rear.

I went 16/46 with a 200/55 and think it's a very good combo...most go with the 190, I like the wider 200 tire myself...the 55 is taller and will turn in quicker and feel more responsive to steering inputs.

2016 GSX S1000/Gray/-1 +2/Dano's flash
2001 ZX6R
1988 Honda XR250
2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400
post #3 of 6 Unread 01-08-2020, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the input man!

that solves my sprocket and i need to figure out my exhaust next.

post #4 of 6 Unread 01-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
16/46 with 190/55 here. I think it's perfect. Not ideal for a long highway ride, but I try to avoid that anyway. First gear is hilarious. 190/55 is a superior tire size. 190/50 is becoming very uncommon. Most new 1000cc sportbikes come with a 190/55.

I got the 190/55 and 16T at the same time, the 16T on its own makes up for the taller tire, plus a little more. Then added the 46T, which was just right. And that also shortened up the wheelbase where it needs to be.

My 2018 actually had an undampened front sprocket which I though was strange. I got the undampened 16T Vortex. If I convert to .520 in the future I might try a dampened sprocket.
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Uh oh....the gearing monsters out there!! I’m running pretty much stock gearing except I went up a tooth in the rear due to running 190/55 tire. Call me crazy but I love the stock gearing. I thought I’d want to change it by now (I’ve owned the bike for 5 months) but I can’t see why. I do clutch ups in 1st and second gear no problemo although I prefer 1st and once it’s up I can shift to 2nd. This bike is not a wheelie mobile like my last bike (Tuono 1000r V2) but it’ll do em if you know how. Plus the distance to get to the twisties I can’t have my bike buzzing like a buzz saw. It rips down low yet cruises nice on the freeway. I’ve got a 2017 all stock except Schnitz flash. Good luck chasing the gearing monster!
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The nice thing about changing gearing is that it's one of the only things that's cheap, easily reversible and can make a huge difference to the character of the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in