User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
woolich ignition timing

hey guys, just bought the full woolich tune setup including the autotune.

just curious if anyone has done anything with ignition timing? before anyone asks, no, i am not a newbie when it comes to tuning, engines or anything i have experience... i want to dyno tune it for the ignition timing but curious if anyone has done any work with the timing tables and gained any power? i searched quite a bit and didnt find any real answer to this question
post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Booo no one?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieromx3 View Post
Booo no one?
Sorry, The best person to answer your question has gone quiet. That's londonboards.
He or She has joined here, and replied a few months back with deeper knowledge of the Woolich processes and operates a bike tuning dyno.

Rob.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
My bike was tuned by a very reputable race mechanic and I asked about ignition timing.
The simple answer was that there are very little gains to be made. In saying that he did change them, i have no idea in what way.
The real gains came from the fuel map.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are gains to be made with ignition timing not many dyno housing get involved, preferring to just setup fuelling. You need extra kit like either det cans or a det sensor fitted on the bike with det sensing electronics. Its said you need a light drum, dynojet drun is deemedtoo heavy, and an eddy current brake with a torque sensor strapped to it to measure live torque. Up shot is if the dyno guy messes up you end up with engine damage a lot quicker than if it leans out.
Its a while since I looked at the ignition on the GSXS1000 but I did change the maps in the earlier gears which pepped it up.
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello

I've only just seen this - for some reason.

I am about to mess with the ignition timing on my GSXS using the Woolich Software but only in as much as I'm playing with the Unifying option.

The GSXS has 4 ignition maps, Neutral, 1-2, 3 and 4-6. The Unifying option allows you to choose one of those maps and apply them to all the others.

As far as I know, and by looking at the maps, it appears that gears 1-2 and 3 are slightly detuned. Reason being, I suppose, is that they were too aggressive as they were (is there such a thing as too aggressive? Lol). So I am going to see what that does.

I have a dyno, so I can sort of test it but it's tricky doing dyno runs in lower gears, so I don't know how that will work out.

As for changing the maps themselves, as opposed to only Unifying them, I would not get involved in that myself unless I was a racer and had a whole new level of expertise. And as the guy above has said, I would need to get a torque cell for my dyno, which is another $1,000.

So basically, I don't see the point in it at my level of riding and tuning skills.

You can see my progress if you take a look at the links in my signature below.

Greetings

GSXS-1000S (2019)
GSX1100/GS1150 EFE (1984) x3
GS1100G (1983) x 2
GSX750 EF (1984)

GSXS Tuners Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1686733718126621/

GSXS Tuners Blog: https://suzukigsxs1000.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page