LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
GSX S1000 initial mods

I am looking to change a few things on the bike but i am not sure with all the options out there as to what is good or bad, and what is even useful.

1. I was looking at the Suzuki accessories list and it is showing a Sport Windscreen (screenshot attached). I want to maintain the naked look as best i can so i was wondering if this small shield will even make a difference at all. Does anyone have it and are able to let me know if this makes enough of a difference to drop $160 on. If not are there any other options that would work for this bike without taking away from the naked appearance.

2. I am finding the bike to just be too quiet so i am looking for a different exhaust. Now from what i have read some people are stating that a slip on will not make much of a difference at all to noise, is this so? The local dealer where i bought has two options available for me, one being the Akropvic and the other is the Yohimura.
Would i be ok to change to one of these, or other options available that you can suggest, to increase the noise a bit? I want the bike to make enough noise to be noticed, but not rudely loud at the same time.

I have already gone ahead and added a fender eliminator, and at the end of this week i have a full frame slider kit arriving from T-Rex so i am excited to get those installed.

I did cheap out and also got a set of brake and clutch levers from amazon,

Hoping these work out but also if anyone has advice on a shorty set of brake and clutch levers please let me know as i have not gotten these yet and am totally open to changing them for something better.

If anyone else has any advice on mods that i can do, keeping in mind that i dont want to break my warranty, i would certainly appreciate the advice. Hoping to have everything done before spring hits so ill be ready to be on the road as soon as possible.
Look forward to hearing from all of you, and thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-01-28 11_51_19-2-Streetbike-Eng-2019-Web.pdf.png (147.7 KB, 28 views)
post #2 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Slip on for more sound is pretty much wasted money, doesn’t help much. Decat is the way to go. I would definitely stay clear of the cheap levers, too many have had problems. I’m talking locking brake up problems. Seems to be hit or miss with them, I’m not taking a chance.

Slow is fast
post #3 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
Slip on for more sound is pretty much wasted money, doesnít help much. Decat is the way to go. I would definitely stay clear of the cheap levers, too many have had problems. Iím talking locking brake up problems. Seems to be hit or miss with them, Iím not taking a chance.

Thanks for the response. Locking up brakes is a for sure sign for me to return these right away before even attempting to install them. What would be some worth looking into that are rated well enough to not have issues like that?

And excuse me for not knowing, but what do you mean by 'Decat' is the way to go?

post #4 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
He means that due to EU fascist emission legislation, which should only apply to cars, it applies also to bikes and requires pounds of extra metal in the exhaust setup to catalyse emissions; ie., cat. So eliminating the cat is removing the catalytic converter from under your bike and replacing it with an exhaust that is lighter and conduct the exhaust gas from your motor straight out the back instead of through a labyrinth of metal. I have fitted the Black Widow system from the UK, used the standard muffler and the exhaust note is superb
post #5 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
There is a thread on here about dominator decat, use the search to find it. It will explain everything. ASV and CRG are two that I have experience with, others may chime in on their recommendation. I have the decat with stock slip on and I get compliments all the time. Its louder around idle but still quiet enough cruising around.

Slow is fast
post #6 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Depending on your relationship with your dealer, a decat will void your warranty.
Try a small cone shaped slip on such as the m4.
Gave a great tone, significantly louder than stock. Due to the design it made it much louder than removing the can altogether. Pretty cheap too.
frog4aday likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balabah13 View Post
2. I am finding the bike to just be too quiet so i am looking for a different exhaust. Now from what i have read some people are stating that a slip on will not make much of a difference at all to noise, is this so? The local dealer where i bought has two options available for me, one being the Akropvic and the other is the Yohimura.
Would i be ok to change to one of these, or other options available that you can suggest, to increase the noise a bit? I want the bike to make enough noise to be noticed, but not rudely loud at the same time.
I have a Mivv Double Gun Ti slip-on and it is definitely louder than stock, but not by an order of magnitude like some of the full systems.
In fact, it came with removable db killers that I originally had out and I've put them in and prefer it that way. It is still louder than stock and improved tone to my ear, but I'm not a "louder is better" guy.
It can be heard in post #2 of the fly-by thread. That's without db killer.
post #8 of 49 Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks again cuntry. Went with ASV levers after a year of China levers. Quality of the ASV is head and shoulders above.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I have the flyscreen and it's purely aesthetic and does absolutely nothing for wind protection. I also have an MRA touring windscreen which does an excellent job of blocking the wind but it's not going to win any beauty contests. If anything, the looks are a theft deterrent.

If you don't want to uglify the bike but still want to reduce the wind blast and don't mind an aggressive supermoto riding position, I'll suggest installing a Renthal Fatbar Street Low handlebar. The extra bit of lean cuts right into the wind. YMMV but I find it more comfortable as it also eliminated the seat discomfort (and it has a more GSXR feel in the corners!).

As for the exhaust, I can only speak for the full M4 system which is obnoxiously loud. I ended up installing a stage 2 baffle which got rid of the droning exhaust sound at freeway speeds.

Other useful mods are upgrading the rear shock as the original is brutal on rough roads. Also, an ECU flash will improve your fueling, eliminate the jerky on/off throttle, and disable error codes that pop up when you start removing exhaust related bits.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
frog4aday likes this.
post #10 of 49 Old 01-29-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Also, an ECU flash will improve your fueling, eliminate the jerky on/off throttle, and disable error codes that pop up when you start removing exhaust related bits.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Can this ECU flash be done without voiding warranty, if it makes that much of a difference i would like to do that even before thinking about exhaust changes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page