LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Test ride today

Took a GSX-S1000 ABS out today for about an hour on different roads and was very impressed.

The first thing to strike you is the sound, it's amazing for a stock set-up and quite addictive! The power is very impressive too, the extra 20 odd horses over my CB1000R certainly show... it was leaving my mate on his R1200R for dust!

Handling was very good, however sometimes the back end felt a little skittish. I took my CB over the same route afterwards and it certainly felt a more 'planted' over the same roads. It didn't bother me too much and may well be sorted just by setting the suspension correctly.

if your concerned with the throttle response.... don't be as it isn't an issue. My CB had throttle response issues way worse than this bike, in the end I decided to fit a PCV to smooth it out.

Seating position for me (6' 1") was very good, natural position was arms slightly bent which kept me nice an relaxed for tipping it into the corners.... which incidentally takes the lightest touch of counter-steer to achieve. My only criticism was the the rear brake pedal was a fraction too small, or in slightly the wrong place for my foot to come forward off the peg and find it naturally.

Second test ride of the day was a Z1000SX, a bike I really wanted to like. I think it's slightly better looking than the F and it's also a fair bit cheaper and available from stock, so it had a lot going for it. In the end though it failed to impress. It didn't feel anywhere near as powerful as the GSX-S1000 (even though on paper it is) and the seating position for me wasn't fantastic. Add to that the horrendous vibration through the bars and seat at 8-9k and the feeling that I had to wrestle the bike into the corners rather than the seemingly effortless 'push, tip and go' of the Suzuki and I left knowing the zed wasn't for me.

So have I made my mind up? Very possibly yes, but My local Honda dealer has offered me a cracking deal on a new VFR1200 which I'm thinking about taking for a test ride.... watch this space!
chr1s, Gixxus and bking1441 like this.
post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
This review by Martin really sums it up well.
I got the same impression after my first day owning a GSXS.

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Martin, I had my first test ride on one today and was impressed. How did you think the engine compared to the zed in the mid range, I rode a zed when the new one came out in 2009, quite a while ago now cant really remember much about it but do remember that it was a beast in the mid range.. I was a little dissapointed with the GSX-S in the midrange, was expecting a bit more response, that's not to say it doesn't pull like a train when the revs get up though.. What you think. Ive currently got a modded FZ1 which is an animal and pulls like a beast whatever the revs so I may just be comparing everything to that to be honest.. Hopefully there gonna let me have one for a bit longer when they get a demonstrator..

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Martin,

I so wanted the Ninja 1000 to work out also but after my 2013 Z1000's horrendus seat vibrations there was no way I could get one.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@ bennyt - I would say mid range was comparable between the two. The GSX-S seemed to have more low down torque, so it would propel you to the mid range much quicker and easier. Maybe that initial low down hit disguises the mid range a little. Above 10k and the GSX-S lights it's afterburners whereas the zed came to an abrupt halt at 11k. To me it felt like I had to roll on a lot of throttle to get the zed moving but the GSX-S wanted to take off like a scolded cat at the mere though of giving it a handful.

@ Gixxus - That's good to know, at least it wasn't just the demo bike I had with seat vibes! My CB is a bit vibey as the cat has been removed and I have an open exhaust, but the zed was unbeleavable! In comparison, I cant remember feeling any nuisance vibes with the GSX-S.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
@ bennyt - I would say mid range was comparable between the two. The GSX-S seemed to have more low down torque, so it would propel you to the mid range much quicker and easier. Maybe that initial low down hit disguises the mid range a little. Above 10k and the GSX-S lights it's afterburners whereas the zed came to an abrupt halt at 11k. To me it felt like I had to roll on a lot of throttle to get the zed moving but the GSX-S wanted to take off like a scolded cat at the mere though of giving it a handful.

@ Gixxus - That's good to know, at least it wasn't just the demo bike I had with seat vibes! My CB is a bit vibey as the cat has been removed and I have an open exhaust, but the zed was unbeleavable! In comparison, I cant remember feeling any nuisance vibes with the GSX-S.
I sold my Z1000 over the seat vibrations. With the stock seat it was annoying but with my Seargent seat it truly became an uncomfortable "pleasure machine". I mean as in my man berries were getting the wrong signal! LOL
Martin likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It just occurred to me that I completely forgot to mention the gearbox..... It's a peach! The CB is renowned for it's gearbox, but the GSX-S seems even better. Up shifts just slot into place with silk like ease and down shifts are so smooth, probably due in part the the back-torque limiting clutch which I beleive has been retained from the gixxer.

Do i really want to test ride the VRF1200?..... hmmm the more I think about this bike

BTW has anyone heard or figured a nickname for this beast yet? Gixxus or Gixxess maybe? (Was that the thought behind your name Gixxus?)
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
It just occurred to me that I completely forgot to mention the gearbox..... It's a peach! The CB is renowned for it's gearbox, but the GSX-S seems even better. Up shifts just slot into place with silk like ease and down shifts are so smooth, probably due in part the the back-torque limiting clutch which I beleive has been retained from the gixxer.

Do i really want to test ride the VRF1200?..... hmmm the more I think about this bike

BTW has anyone heard or figured a nickname for this beast yet? Gixxus or Gixxess maybe? (Was that the thought behind your name Gixxus?)
Oh man do I want to take credit for this but alas I saw it in an article and it seemed appropriate. Gixxer vs Gixxus just seemed so natural. I took it upon myself to spread the word so to speak. Heck, the guy in the article could have lifted it from a design engineer for all we know. The origin will always be a mystery but it works none the less.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I felt the same about the S750. Super smooth and slick, even better then I remember on my old R750!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page