GSXS 1000 Forum banner

pebbles stuck between seat and rear cowl....

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Aramis76 
#1 ·
Just an FYI for everyone.

So... i came back from a ride the other day and notice a lot of pebbles in between the seat and the rear cowl. I have the Vagabond fender eliminator. My concern was scratching the paint by the rear cowl. I think this bike may be the first bike for me where the rear wheel is much farther out that the rear tail. good 3 or 4 inches so its grabbing the pebbles and kicking them up. Also have the SW Motech saddle bags and there were pebbles all over them too...may have to rethink this rear fender thing.....

#2 ·
I had the same problem on my last bike-FZ8. Pebbles, water, sand would end up all over me, the tail of the bike and my luggage...not too many options to avoid once the fender is gone (not that the fender works that well either). I believe I saw a link to a bmw gs-style mud guard on another thread but it looks worse than the fender imo...
There was another fellow who did a nifty mod to his Yoshimura tidy tail and basically spliced the last tail bit of the oem fender to his tidy tail for a bit more protection but not sure how effective it was.

#3 ·
I have the vagabond piece as well and made a bit on an "extension" out of the old fender. It actually looks like a factory piece (at a glance) and should be just enough to keep the tail and brake light lens from taking direct hits. I haven't ridden in the rain or on wet roads yet, so I have no idea how well it will work.
I can post a pic when I get home (3 days from now) if you are interested in seeing what i did. I got the idea from another thread here, but never saw any pics, so he might have done his differently...

#4 ·
I ordered one of these on eBay and received it last night which I will be installing over the winter period when I do some other mods, I didn't want to go the complete eliminator for the exact reasons you are posting about and this one is very similar to the original but without the long stem so it is only about half the length , I just need to make a simple bracket to install it which will determine the length of it out the back

Attachments

#6 ·
I was looking for something like this. Thank you. I like them on the Ducatis and MV Agustas. Don't like the price though. Have to really think on this one.

#8 ·
Here's a pic of how mine will hopefully look without the rest of the fantastic work gone into this bike, not a great deal of difference to original but an improvement with the protection

Attachments

#9 ·
This is what I made out of the stock fender. With the vagabond kit it sticks out far enough that I think it will help... some.
The down side is that it's not as good looking as just the eliminator by itself, but all I have to do is undo the two screws at the bottom of the plate to take it off when I know it's not going to rain. ;)

Attachments

#10 ·
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, as I said in another post, fitting rear fender eliminators (or tail tidies as we call them in the UK) is a bit self defeating as without the standard Suzuki rear tail/fender and plate holder, everything on the road will end up down your back and all over the bike. I found this out the hard way after fitting an R&G (apparently the US Yoshi one is just as bad) tail tidy! I have now reverted to standard and am back to a clean dry back. I guess a tail tidy is fine if you live in parts of the USA and Australia where it never rains, but, in England it sometimes seems it will never stop, however, right now we have a High over the South which is giving us nice dry weather...yeee...hi. Talking of rain reminds me of Ray Bradburys The long Rain in the Illustrated Man book.....just a thought.

#11 ·
Hello, new member here. Picking up my GSX-S1000 as soon as winter is over.

I'm surprised nobody has mentionned this fender eliminator yet, it's a little expensive but I like it because it kinda keeps the lines from the original one. And since it still sticks out more than the others (R&G, Yosh, etc) it would probably work to prevent the tire from kicking stuff up.

Plus, where I live, the fender has to at least cover the wheel. On this bike, so far, every other fender eliminator leaves the tire exposed and that could mean getting pulled over.

Here is a pic, the company is Daytona Japan. (mine will be matte grey)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.