LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trackday on GSXS

HI All

Thought this might be interesting for those on here that do trackdays.

I took my F yesterday to a trackday at Cadwell Park. I have been doing these events for 20 years or thereabouts and have ridden loads of the Uk tracks, and abroad. Had loads of bikes including racebikes, sportsbikes, supermotos, etc etc!

I normally would use my ZX10R but not yesterday as its getting some performance mods and as it was 4 degrees I dont think the race tyres would be any good!

Anyway I rode the GSXS to Cadwell- about 45 minutes- was very very cold ( and I have heated grips! )

The good bits-

I stiffened up the suspension a few clicks from standard- front rebound and comp 2 harder on both- back a third of a turn in. Made a great deal of difference on the track but a little harsh on the road. Turned in great, kept a line and great feedback.

Bike is very stable on a straight- miles better than any naked would be.

power was superb- could catch the 1000 racebikes on the straights- ( the ones that were a few years old track hacks sort of bikes anyway )

Gearing was very good too- to be honest I never thought about it so it must have been ok.

Very comfy to get to the track and back.

Heated grips came in handy.

Electronics were quite subtle and dropped the front quite gently. In level 1 I would ideally like to be able to wheelie a little higher and longer ( my S1000R was a monster at this in Dynamic Pro- whilst still having some form of intervention )- but overall not bad.

The bad-

Didnt get on with the tyres ( OEM ) at all. The grip was fine but the profile was too road oriented. At full lean it felt as though there was a fine line between staying on and binning it. Almost as though the tyres had too much air in them. I reduced the psi to 32/30 so it would not have been too much pressure. I suppose its road vs race profiles, and what I am used to.

This bike really needs stomp grips! Very difficult to anchor yourself anywhere to avoid using the handlebars to grip on to. Bike would tell me when I was holding on too tight- especially on transitions from left to right ( chicanes ) and would wag its head.

The throttle to be honest was OK but getting on the power you had to think about a smooth delivery. A few track days I think and this would become natural. The problem with me is that I have a few bikes and almost have to learn the bike all over again every ride.

Overall very happy- I`ll post the Youtube vid once I have sorted it.
post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Bob

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing, i too am hoping to get on track with my f this year at oulton. Is your bike standard or havd you done any mods? Mine is standard at the moment and seems to loosening up everytime im out. I think il wear out original tyres and then upgrade to something better. Look forward to you seeing some of your track day footage.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I kept the bike standard apart from no pillion pegs and seat cover.

The tyres are great for the road but not really designed for the track. I've got two pairs of dunlop qualifiers I bought for £100 a set I'll put on to munch them miles.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Fortunately, my OEM tyres had expired just before I did my recent trackday in NZ and I was running 55 profile PR4’s! Air temperature was a bit different from yours at about 30 degrees C . The California Superbike school instructor advised me to drop my pressure to 30 psi front and rear. Handling and grip was excellent, partially because of the sharper profile of the PR's which aided turn-in. Out of interest, I checked the tyre pressure about 5 minutes after the first session and it was 40 psi so it would have been a lot higher straight afterwards. A good example of why you should drop your pressures! The PR4’s stood up remarkably well, although I wouldn't be recommending them for regular track use

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 03-15-2016 at 05:55 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got pr4s on my gs. Tend to move around a bit more than I'd like on the track.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Heres a vid of me going round Cadwell. Pal on Superduke wanted me to film him so going at his pace- about 15 secs slower than on my ZX10!!, but on a road bike with road tyres, freezing cold and first trackday since I had a big crash- quite happy to survive the day intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7UryR336j8
tonyt and Ctrlsave like this.

Last edited by Thumperbob2002; 03-18-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page