LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Track day

I have a question for anyone who has done a track day on a Suzuki GSX-S 1000
Having hopped off a Harley to hop on my Suzuki naked I am interested in comparisons between our new bikes and previous bikes people have done track days on
My wife has bought me a track day voucher for our local race track ( Willowbank Raceway ) I am in the process off getting all my riding gear sorted and will be doing a few more klms on my ride before I have a go
Cheers
Craig

Free to associate
post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedeuce View Post
I have a question for anyone who has done a track day on a Suzuki GSX-S 1000
Having hopped off a Harley to hop on my Suzuki naked I am interested in comparisons between our new bikes and previous bikes people have done track days on
My wife has bought me a track day voucher for our local race track ( Willowbank Raceway ) I am in the process off getting all my riding gear sorted and will be doing a few more klms on my ride before I have a go
Cheers
Craig
am guessing you are not valentino rossi. Leave your suspension alone. Drop your tyre pressure to 32 psi front 26psi rear and start your day slow with a smile on your dial. Keep your body as loose and relaxed as you can , look as far forward through the corners as you can see, why ? coz where you look is where you go.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BEING FAST, concentrate on being smooth. Have FUN.
As the day progresses and you become familiar with the track, pick out the bits of the circuit that you like the least and not together but progressively work on improving those sections , HAVE FUN, stay relaxed , this bike is better than most riders , just worry about you. I would recommend the middle TRC setting , it works a treat at the track if you happen to dial in more power than a novice should. BREATHE DEEP RELAX AND HAVE FUN , looking forward to hearing about the day. PS If you are riding with champions ride days it should be fun .I ride twice a month with them in WA

Last edited by 4tune8; 03-17-2016 at 08:27 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune8 View Post
am guessing you are not valentino rossi. Leave your suspension alone. Drop your tyre pressure to 32 psi front 26psi rear and start your day slow with a smile on your dial. Keep your body as loose and relaxed as you can , look as far forward through the corners as you can see, why ? coz where you look is where you go.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BEING FAST, concentrate on being smooth. Have FUN.
As the day progresses and you become familiar with the track, pick out the bits of the circuit that you like the least and not together but progressively work on improving those sections , HAVE FUN, stay relaxed , this bike is better than most riders , just worry about you. I would recommend the middle TRC setting , it works a treat at the track if you happen to dial in more power than a novice should. BREATHE DEEP RELAX AND HAVE FUN , looking forward to hearing about the day. PS If you are riding with champions ride days it should be fun .I ride twice a month with them in WA
Great advice that, but in a hot country 26 at the back - in a cold cold country like GB 30 I would suggest. Depends on your pace, if you are very much a novice I would leave them alone.
chr1s likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Dont hang on to the bars too hard or your arms will be killing you after 3 laps. Take the weight with your legs gripping the fuel tank when possible. Youve gotta be loose and move.....
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbob2002 View Post
Great advice that, but in a hot country 26 at the back - in a cold cold country like GB 30 I would suggest. Depends on your pace, if you are very much a novice I would leave them alone.
I have run my dunlop sportsmart at 18 psi cold in winter, previous bike, with no tearing and great grip. The tyre tech here recommended 22 to 24 psi on the GSXS which i tried . In the heat of autumn 40deg C at last track day I was experiancing some tearing at those pressures,I found 26psi better, which is what i ran before in summer with great results in both grip and wear. Where i ride in WA we get cold , but not euro cold winters , and i like between 18 and 24 psi then as the sidewalls really get some flex and heat up really fast, which is what you want if you don't use tyre warmers.I got over 3000k's of track use out of the original tyres and was pretty pleased with that.Novice or not Bluedeuce, definitely DO NOT run street pressure at the track.Thumper bob have read your track day post and i know you know what you are talking about. The only tyres i can buy at the track are dunlops, and ran the qualifiers for years with tyre warmers at the track, but only got 900k's track time out of them, using the sportsmart now as they last heaps longer and i can tell when they are on the way out as the TC light flicks on regularly.

Last edited by 4tune8; 03-17-2016 at 10:39 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Much appreciated for all responses and sorry I didn't realize there was already a post on track days
I have purchased quality riding boots ( was a task finding euro 50 size ) gloves a quality helmet paid $750 instead of $900 as old design on outer of helmet
Next will be purchasing one piece leathers
Looking forward to getting a feel for my bike without checking for boys in blue
Cheers and safe riding
Craig

Free to associate
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedeuce View Post
Much appreciated for all responses and sorry I didn't realize there was already a post on track days
I have purchased quality riding boots ( was a task finding euro 50 size ) gloves a quality helmet paid $750 instead of $900 as old design on outer of helmet
Next will be purchasing one piece leathers
Looking forward to getting a feel for my bike without checking for boys in blue
Cheers and safe riding
Craig
If you are in Qld look up Champions ride days on the net , because if you buy one piece leathers from them , and they sell at less than RRP, they will throw in a free ride day, and they operate at lots of tracks Australia wide . Now there's a win win situation . I got my leathers from them and they are great and under $900
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cheers mate that is a great price for leathers
My track day voucher is through Adrenaline and for Willowbank track it is only about 20 mins from where I live
Craig

Free to associate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page