14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-31-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Break In or Myth

Moto Dudes, Popular writer John Burns in his recent on-line article (motorcycle.com) seems to insinuate the break in period is a tad redundant and overly conservative. I've been trying to abide mostly to the rpm limits in the manual, but wonder if its really necessary after seeing Burns' article. Back a hundred years ago my FJ1100 was drag raced after only 500 miles, but have none of those plans for Mr. Sazook .
post #2 of 24 Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Moto Dudes, Popular writer John Burns in his recent on-line article (motorcycle.com) seems to insinuate the break in period is a tad redundant and overly conservative. I've been trying to abide mostly to the rpm limits in the manual, but wonder if its really necessary after seeing Burns' article. Back a hundred years ago my FJ1100 was drag raced after only 500 miles, but have none of those plans for Mr. Sazook .
I have to admit I've only got about 100 miles on the clock and I did give it some quick bursts to over 10k rpm and abruptly shut the throttle for plenty of over run... Done the same with my SV1000 with no ill effects.. I rest my case .... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by tonyt; 03-31-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
done about 250 now on mine , between working all the time and **** weather cant seem to get out, taking it up to about 6 very very hard not to blast it big time lol, the big test for me is when my lonney mates come out with us no way im going to let them blast of into the sunset lol

post #4 of 24 Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I sort of do a hybrid. I would take it to 6-7k RPM in the first 50 miles but briefly, vary the RPMs, let the rings seat...go through all the gears...let the components wear in. Take it up to 6k RPM, engine brake...go through the gears, repeat. Now with a few hundred miles on the clock, I ride how I normally would.

The break in on my Yamaha just stated 'avoid prolonged RPMs above 5600 in the 1st 600 miles. Avoid prolonged RPMs above 6800 from miles 600-1000 miles'

I'm not sure who writes these manuals, mechanics or lawyers.
Detroitdawg likes this.

'17 Husky 701 SM
post #5 of 24 Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for input. Tony giving it the stick already .
L-Jack I know--I can ride like a normal person until I go with one guy in particular (got to love the Ducatisti).
DTM I like that line: manuals by mechanics or lawyers.
lumberjack likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Ugggghhh!
dekker and Jaked like this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

Last edited by Stromer; 01-17-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-01-2016, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
It helps to pour 100 grams of metal filings into the oil plug hole. Really knocks those pesky rough edges off of things. Kinda like Solvo soap for your engine.
Stromer likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just bought mine in Australia from the Suzuki dealership owned by former super sport world champion/world super bike racer Karl Muggeridge. He set up the test bike I rode in person. Asked him about break in as I figured he'd know. He said to take it smoothly but firmly through each gear, not up to red line, and that should do it. No real need to keep it under certain revs, but not to sit at a constant droning speed. It's more about how the engine is revved rather than how high it seems.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjfever View Post
Just bought mine in Australia from the Suzuki dealership owned by former super sport world champion/world super bike racer Karl Muggeridge. He set up the test bike I rode in person. Asked him about break in as I figured he'd know. He said to take it smoothly but firmly through each gear, not up to red line, and that should do it. No real need to keep it under certain revs, but not to sit at a constant droning speed. It's more about how the engine is revved rather than how high it seems.
Same here
post #10 of 24 Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I think the real answer here is to look at owners of motorcycles. Any and all of us. Heck, lets include cars too. Think of all the forums you visit. Do you see a pattern of motorcycles wearing out? Engines needing rebuild?

Even of you visit the vintage forums, many bikes from the 70's and 80's are still running. Many are seeing their first valve adjustment. Until we can see some "Here, look at this....." as opposed to "I think...." None of the articles show much expect to show these engines are very durable, and very forgiving of any sort of break in.

Back in the 80's, the valve adjustments were supposed to happen every 6000 miles.
Jimmy and Moldmaker like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page