GSXS 1000 Forum banner

good artlcle on the gsx-s1000

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rcannon409 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Great article and morning coffee read at the office, thank you :)

#3 · (Edited)
Great article from someone that seems to understand and/or enjoy the intent of the bike. As opposed to Motorcyclist ragging on the GSX-S1000 in the current issue (June 2016) where it is picked last to the FJ09 (really) being first choice and Ninja 1000 second. Maybe Motorcyclist is not on Suzuki's preferred publication list?

#4 ·
#6 ·
Yeah they are always like that. New
Technology perhaps. I remember back when I bought my CBR600rr. I did so because it won hands down best handling bike around. 3 months after I bought it, it came in last place. Just goes to show how we can never listen to their crap.

#8 ·
I think the magazines lost me back in 2012. I had just replaced the tires on my Ninja 1000, a whole 350.00 dollars worth, and that changed the front fork, the handling, and the overall feel of the bike, and it changed it a lot. Flaws I thought (and read) were there disappeared.

I know they cant change tires on motorcycles.....uh, why? We will have a set of tires burned up before we've made five payments. We have to assume most bikes come with poor tires, and it this gives us a true story of what we are riding, why the f not? Plus, they could easily sign on a tire supplier, and get them free.

I realized, then, we are the review, and they are trying to keep up with us. You told me how tires change it. How booster plug might help. How the powercommander did, etc. Right now, we are years ahead of where they are.

About Motorcyclist. It had to be around 2005 when one of their editors signed up for an account on the sv650 forum. You could probably search there and find it.

A few months later, I'll be damned if Ari's not an sv650 expert and adding a zx10 rear shock to his sv, and doing some other things he found on OUR forum. He did give a casual mention, but it was obviously HIS ideas. Not the forums.

Magazines are circling the drain. I think picking flat out winners, and making odd choices, gets them noticed.

#10 ·
`Motorcycle Consumer News is ....well, how can I say this. They mean well.

Their tests are written by guys originating from.......ok, lets say we grab two of us here, at random, and give us a printing press.

They tested a Honda something a year back. I remember them saying, We broke one sidepanal trying to remove it. We never did get the other one off.

OK, is that an acceptably answer to go to print with?

Thats where they miss. No follow through. A call to Honda tech support, a visit to a dealer, it was a bad place to leave us hanging.

Thats the problem, there. You dont get professional test riders. You get a few of us. Which is fine, except we are here, 24/7 and dont charge you 30.00, per year for our mis-information.

If you want a sample, of a good magazine, go onto ebay. Search "Cycle World 1981-1982" Buy one with something you like on the cover, and you'll see.

The other problem is this. I've never tried the fj09, but have ridden the fz09.

If you had all three bikes in your garage.

You would like the fz. Its small feeling, and its engine sounds cool.

You'd love the snap, the 2500-4000 wheelie the ninja 1000 offers.

You already have the suzuki.

To call one bad is foolish, and no one would.

Now, you have to rate them.

OK, so the yamaha is down 40 hp on the suzuki. The Kawasaki is nice, but 30lbs heavier.

The suzuki has fuel issues, and its suspension is too stiff.

2/3 of the readers will be angry, no matter who wins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.