Tub n' Shower fiberglass repair kit works for fixing lower fairing - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BorderlandBiker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tub n' Shower fiberglass repair kit works for fixing lower fairing

FADE IN...Sooooo you're puttin' along and run over something that breaks the plastic/fairing just in front of the oil filter...Soooo you find out Suzuki will charge you nearly $200 for that piece...Soooo you go to your local HOME DEPOT and find a Tub n' Shower repair kit (tube of resin/cloth) for around $10 and fix it...and, and...PEACE RIDE SAFE....P.S. Make sure you're getting the resin that's used for Tubs and Showers NOT the old formula that was used to make surfboards in 1960s THE ENDLESS SUMMER era
dekker likes this.
post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Awesome. pics?

'17 Husky 701 SM
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
Awesome. pics?
Oops...my bad...pictures coming soon...Just an aside...Our neighbor's son is an engineer at Lockheed in Sunnyvale and said the science of creating new plastics is growing exponentially. He said a few years ago the plastics (I'm using plastics in a general layman's sense) used to make things like the Glock pistol frame or jet canopies would've been part of the cutting edge. He said today they're even further advanced in strength and lightness...PEACE RIDE SAFE"...these aren't the droids you're looking for..."

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry about the pictures...I have them on JPEG but am having trouble sending them to this site. I will have to get my granddaughter,she says I'm an Neanderthal, to help...In the mean time you'll have to picture in your mind some (J-B Weld epoxy...the original formula when you mix the resin and hardener turns a charcoal grey and tolerates 500 degrees) some (fiberglass cloth about the size of a napkin) some (some plastic picnic knives for splints and for mixing and spreading the epoxy) some (packaging tape to hold the splints on the FRONT aka the side showing outside) some (throw-away rubber gloves) FIND A PLACE OUTSIDE TO WORK then (tape the two pieces together with the plastic knives as splints) (THEN MIX the resin equal amounts with the hardener) THEN (cut some fiberglass cloth to both cover the break and overlap about an inch on each side) THEN (using a plastic knife saturate the fiberglass cloth with resin then lay it on the INSIDE aka the part NOT SHOWING of the break) THEN (spread/smooth the saturated cloth over the break) THEN (let it dry overnight)....Since my bike is charcoal in color the charcoal color of the resin blends in a bit...Hopefully none of you will ever have to do this....PEACE RIDE SAFE
post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here is a picture or two of the patch...I hope that none of you ever have to do this...

ALSO...check out the Buell footpegs AND the $12 dollar windscreen (decals came with it) and a special thanks to my granddaughter for being able to navigate the web/Ebay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tub n' shower mend 1.JPG (929.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg tub n' shower mend 2.JPG (478.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by BorderlandBiker; 04-22-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page