4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my first attempt at moto journalism

i'm no racer or professional writer but i got a chance to write a piece on our bike for ultimate motorcycling magazine, so here it is. agree with my observations? disagree? let's hear what say you

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...uyers-remorse/
post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
An enjoyable read

I might disagree with you on the throttle and trail braking. I'd actually say the only reason the throttle doesn't concern me when cornering is because I trail brake. If I had to try to moderate power with that throttle without the extra degree of control I'd probably be much tamer on my entry.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
good read that, totally agree with all he said

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i absolutely trail brake on almost every corner on the street or track if i'm riding at pace. but regardless, there is always that moment when we are off the throttle and have to get back on it whether one trail brakes or not. and that moment is a bit more abrupt than on other bikes i've owned. i will say it's gotten better with time and miles, the bike has broken in quite well and it's less of an issue now, but it's still there if you're not paying attention to the throttle hand at that moment. not sure how trail braking or not factors in here but love ot hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E View Post
An enjoyable read

I might disagree with you on the throttle and trail braking. I'd actually say the only reason the throttle doesn't concern me when cornering is because I trail brake. If I had to try to moderate power with that throttle without the extra degree of control I'd probably be much tamer on my entry.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Hmmm, maybe it's more a matter of the way I moderate power. I started out on an '86 500cc Honda Interceptor, below 8000 RPM it had almost no power, and accelerating through to that point was slow as ****. I used clutch, throttle, and rear brake together to keep it just above 8K as I entered a corner, so I'd actually be able to accelerate out.

So, I don't have any full off to on throttle in a corner, and trail braking is a huge part of avoiding that for me, though perhaps riding the clutch adds just enough to make up the difference.

Also, only time the throttle is trublesome for me is from full off, just rolling on more is smooth on my bike.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
interesting, i've heard of people riding a bit of throttle as they trail brake. however, i learned trail braking from the yamaha champions riding school and lee parks total control advanced riding clinic. fundamentally, what i was taught is it's about being on the brakes before and during tip in to a corner to be in control of speed and lean angle in case the corner arc changes to a decreasing radius turn but just as importantly to compress the front to help with direction change (on track especially). being on the brakes allows for the flexibility to modulate brake pressure depending on what the situation calls for versus having to get on the brakes mid corner which rarely ends well. most of the coaches i've worked with are on the throttle, off the throttle/on the brakes, and back on the throttle with maybe a little overlap but not on purpose more as a consequence of how your hands work.

QUOTE=USSENTERNCC1701E;143106]Hmmm, maybe it's more a matter of the way I moderate power. I started out on an '86 500cc Honda Interceptor, below 8000 RPM it had almost no power, and accelerating through to that point was slow as ****. I used clutch, throttle, and rear brake together to keep it just above 8K as I entered a corner, so I'd actually be able to accelerate out.

So, I don't have any full off to on throttle in a corner, and trail braking is a huge part of avoiding that for me, though perhaps riding the clutch adds just enough to make up the difference.

Also, only time the throttle is trublesome for me is from full off, just rolling on more is smooth on my bike.[/QUOTE]
post #7 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
I might have to check out the Yamaha course, I know they used to, hopefully still do, run classes out of Miller Motorsportsway, not too far from me. Most of my riding techniques I've learned through reading, and careful practice in parking lots before a few slow canyons runs with it. Be nice to actually get some direct input from pros.

Also, I don't usually do hard braking right before a turn, I've only gone to the track once, mostly this stuff comes into play in canyon carving, and I don't want to catch up to a car in the curves, so I just kinda put along in the straight stretches and really only open it up in the turns.

Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 05-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yamaha school is out of new jersey motorsports park and inde motorsports in arizona in the winter. i'd also recommend lee parks courses in parking lots, advanced riding clinics, nothing humbles you like being in a parking lot with lee :-). can't have enough coaching if you ask me, i mean it's only our lives at stake right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E View Post
I might have to check out the Yamaha course, I know they used to, hopefully still do, run classes out of Miller Motorsportsway, not too far from me. Most of my riding techniques I've learned through reading, and careful practice in parking lots before a few slow canyons runs with it. Be nice to actually get some direct input from pros.
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
We need to get you on some more motorcycles so you can write some more tests.

Your report is way more like they did in the old Cycle, or Cycle World magazines as opposed to modern times. and I dont know of a better way to compliment you. Nice work.

Agree or disagree? Thats what made it good. You choose to form opinions instead of what they do now.

As far as the front brakes go, the pads that come in the caliper are more appropriate for a 300 ninja. When you get a good pad in there, its an eye opening moment. I dont know to put a percentage on it, but if Ihad to guess, the Vesrah pad offers 40% more power and feel.

Last edited by rcannon409; 05-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-08-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
very nice of you to say thank you for the positive feedback. will probably upgrade the brake pads when they are finished but i really cant complain about the stopping power once the bike was broken in a bit the brakes really came alive. i don't even know if that's possible but that's how they feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
We need to get you on some more motorcycles so you can write some more tests.

Your report is way more like they did in the old Cycle, or Cycle World magazines as opposed to modern times. and I dont know of a better way to compliment you. Nice work.

Agree or disagree? Thats what made it good. You choose to form opinions instead of what they do now.

As far as the front brakes go, the pads that come in the caliper are more appropriate for a 300 ninja. When you get a good pad in there, its an eye opening moment. I dont know to put a percentage on it, but if Ihad to guess, the Vesrah pad offers 40% more power and feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page