26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
time for original thought

oh heaven forbid , that anyone dares to have an original thought. I am not american but love this quote by Mark Twain, '' when i find myself on the side of the majority , it is time to pause and reflect."
My original thought when I bought this bike was , wow, how good is this.
So I intend to keep it pretty much original. The first post has been edited down to this because some forum members found it a bit''on the nose''. So no offence intended to you guys, I think I may have forgotten my meds that night
Rusty likes this.

Last edited by 4tune8; 06-08-2016 at 01:14 AM. Reason: some people found it offensive
post #2 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.
Jaked and Davethesparky like this.

Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 06-03-2016 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
meh people have different tastes. One guy does a mod and thinks it looks great and somebody else might think that same mod looks ugly. Personally I like seeing people do mods because it makes their bikes look original. Who wants to look the same as everybody else? I haven't done any mods except the tail tidy because I'm cheap and I'd rather save my money.
NHSH likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
spools so you can work on it yourself
I use a pair of plain old screws. Cost me 30 cents at the hardware store.
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cool yep

[ Hi not being aggro just having fun, to each their own, and some mods are practical some just bling , always interested to see what some of the really creative riders come up with, just get a bit bored with the has anyone seen my handbag questions , and love to stir up a good ole chat on things fill oh soft icle for a change QUOTE=USSENTERNCC1701E;152298]Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.[/QUOTE]
post #6 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E View Post
Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.
Ps I'm with you
post #7 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
4tune, your assumption is people who mod do it only for performance reasons. None of us are any different. We're all trying to feel better. Some do that with more money in the bank. Some use drugs, or drink alcohol. Gambling, Sex. Motorcycles.

Mark Twain's problem is he was not a mechanic. You'll often times fine many of us who are mechanics, service techs, carpenters, etc get a ton of self worth, and entertainment, from what we fix or what we create. Making it "better" is defined by the owner. "Finished" just means time to sell this one and move to the next. For us, this is joy.

Explaining how someone else should find joy, contentment, and happiness? I find that what others do, unless it costs me time, money or effort, is pretty much none of my business.
Mythic, sparehead1 and Gregg like this.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
4tune, your assumption is people who mod do it only for performance reasons. None of us are any different. We're all trying to feel better. Some do that with more money in the bank. Some use drugs, or drink alcohol. Gambling, Sex. Motorcycles.

Mark Twain's problem is he was not a mechanic. You'll often times fine many of us who are mechanics, service techs, carpenters, etc get a ton of self worth, and entertainment, from what we fix or what we create. Making it "better" is defined by the owner. "Finished" just means time to sell this one and move to the next. For us, this is joy.

Explaining how someone else should find joy, contentment, and happiness? I find that what others do, unless it costs me time, money or effort, is pretty much none of my business.
yep i am with you , as i said i love the creative ways people come up with solving real problems or putting their own hand to an improvement. It's just that the kids are asleep the wife's at work and i felt like being a **** stirrer to see if any one was awake. Truly like your idea of finished, for some artists the hardest decision is when to know it's done... i work with houses and make money changing back all the things the previous owners did that the new one doesn't like, however there are times when i see beautiful work and will say '' no don't change a thing''Am working on the theory that anyone with a GSXS 1000 can't be all bad
rcannon409 likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
meh people have different tastes. One guy does a mod and thinks it looks great and somebody else might think that same mod looks ugly. Personally I like seeing people do mods because it makes their bikes look original. Who wants to look the same as everybody else? I haven't done any mods except the tail tidy because I'm cheap and I'd rather save my money.
It is like women in a party, God forbid if they have the same exact dress...
post #10 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't mind mod's, as long as they tasteful, I do mod my bikes to fit my mechanical engineering mind and comfort, as for the rest... it's all in the eye of the beholder, as such, it's not my business of what people think of my bikes, same as what they think of me ;-)

Cheers mates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page