User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S1000 as second bike?

I've been riding for almost 2 years. I took the MSF class and then picked up an FZ07. Earlier this week somebody bought my bike on a whim. I'm out shopping. The S1000 sounds good but all of the talk about the throttle being jerky has me spooked. I can't afford to flip bikes every 2 years. This one was a fluke because I had a cash buyer at $100 over blue book.

1) Is the throttle really that bad?
2) I am about 230 in gear. Am I going to be wanting a suspension upgrade right out the gate like the 07?

Short list of bikes besides the S1000:
Z1000
FZ09
XSR900

Thanks!
post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
For the money the best naked bike out there. I had the "throttle problem" but it cured itself at about 600 miles. When I was deciding which bike to buy it was between a Monster 1200, a left over 2015 Ducati Street fighter and the S1000. The street fighter was hard on the crotch area, the Monster just didn't have the look I preferred in a Modern naked bike. a true classic but expensive. The GSXS 1000 is street fast and comfortable.

2016 S1000 Yosh exhaust can, Vagabond fender eliminator and frame sliders
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
My previous bike was rated at 98 hp. When braking in my GSXS, it felt faster about everywhere, especially passing and it got better mileage. So I guess just because the bike has +140 hp or whatever doesn't mean a person has to use it all on every ride. So it would get my vote for your second bike over those listed, especially if range comes into play (4.5 gal tank). When the low gas light comes on, I consistently get around 160 miles and take about 3.3 to 3.5 gal (US) and that's with minor hooliganizing in there . And I have the f model and do advocate an ABS model, even though been riding +50 years.

Last edited by rickster; 06-18-2016 at 01:06 PM.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Between those 3 choices the gsxs wins hands down
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with all, gsxs all the way it is a great bike the throttle is not that bad it's a bit jerky at low rpm but I have ridden worse .i had a 1100 ducati monster it was shocking at low speed I have done 1000 klm and it is getting better and better it's a fun thing to ride
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
find a dealer with a demo bike and ride it. Then you will know . PS i bet you buy one if you ride one. Stock rear is basic , it can be firmed up on the spring for a big boy, most jap bikes are set up for light riders.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 11:10 PM

Garage
I also had concerns about the throttle but its been smooth as butter!

I suggest you go test ride all the bikes you're considering. I test rode the gsxs1000 and knew it would be my next bike!

So to answer your questions:
1) no throttle issue at all on 2 bikes that I test rode
2) I'm at 230 as well and find the suspension just fine

I also have a Super Tenere (came from a FZ6), so this GSXS1000 is a 2nd ride, but it's so good, it'll most likely become my first ride!
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Best bet is test ride. If you like it but want a bit more control then get a throttle tamer. Apart from the snachy throttle which doesn't seem to affect all models its a really easy bike to get along with. Please note that doen't mean its not fast. Far too many times I've thought "this is more like it, its all coming together, feels nice and smooth and bike is singing... wonder how fast i'm.. ok time to calm down." It really is a well balanced package. But you never know, it may not speak to you at all! You could hate it, test ride is the way to go. Good luck and enjoy the bike shopping
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2016, 09:51 AM

Cannot speak to the throttle issue because never experienced it on mine. I am about your size and suspension is fine.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-2016, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwojasinski View Post
I've been riding for almost 2 years. I took the MSF class and then picked up an FZ07. Earlier this week somebody bought my bike on a whim. I'm out shopping. The S1000 sounds good but all of the talk about the throttle being jerky has me spooked. I can't afford to flip bikes every 2 years. This one was a fluke because I had a cash buyer at $100 over blue book.

1) Is the throttle really that bad?
2) I am about 230 in gear. Am I going to be wanting a suspension upgrade right out the gate like the 07?

Short list of bikes besides the S1000:
Z1000
FZ09
XSR900

Thanks!
Hello,

The GSXS is my 2nd bike and i'm a big lad and it's outstanding to be honest. Had the Z1000 and it blows that bike out of the water. Remember this is a naked bike so you will feel the wind on anything over 85, so long trips at high speed will be hard work, but this is why it's my 2nd bike and I use my K1600 for long tours!

If you want fun on a bike that is little, nimble and fast you cant go wrong. As for the throttle issue, it's really not that much of a problem, you get used to it quickly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page