Buy a GSXS without riding one? - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 55Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ditch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buy a GSXS without riding one?

Short test rides (as in a few minutes) are all you can get if you're lucky and I'm sure I'll like the bike but it's pretty much impossible to get a feel for the bike unless I just take the plunge.

I'm in a real rut with my bikes, I've had 25 now and the past several haven't even last a year, some only a month or two. ZX14R was too much bike, couldn't count on my KTM SMT, VFR12000 was just lame so I sold everything and now looking to buy two bikes that compliment each other. One of them is going to be an FJR.

I'm looking for a really fun easy to ride bike that will make me want to get out and ride, take to the track once in a while and not need a lot of mods to make it work well. I'm 160lbs suspension-wise and not terribly picky about the fueling but could see myself sending it to Woolich if the re-call doesn't fix it.

Thanks in advance
Ditch is online now  
post #2 of 78 Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I sold my last bike (modded zx10r) to fund buying my GSXS1000 without ever riding it. Save for the shock, I love it. Not that the shock is bad, but I had an Ohlins TTX on my 10r so this 30 Dollar shock has me wanting more. Anyway the S stops, turns, brakes and has plenty of power. Cant beat it for the money.
Walter is offline  
post #3 of 78 Old 07-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
DTM74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
At 160lb, I think you'll find the suspension just fine. I was going to test mine but it was raining the day I bought it and the dealership didn't feel comfortable allowing test rides in the rain. So I said "screw it" and bought it anyway. One quick ride around the block and I knew I made the right decision.


'17 Husky 701 SM
DTM74 is offline  
 
post #4 of 78 Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
4tune8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: perth australia
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
have no fear buy it , ride it like you stole , try not to grin too much , and when you put in the garage make sure you put a cover over it . Other wise you will be down there all the time just looking at how beautiful it is , that is if it's the red/black S . The F is butt ugly.
sangedegsx and Seanraynor like this.
4tune8 is offline  
post #5 of 78 Old 07-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune8 View Post
have no fear buy it , ride it like you stole , try not to grin too much ,. The F is butt ugly.

Everyone knows the F is the one to go for and if you have the S you'll just be yearning for the F
Get an F to start with and be totally satisfied
Mythic, Davethesparky and Red 1000 like this.

Pull my finger
Beaker is online now  
post #6 of 78 Old 07-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Jim
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Everyone knows the F is the one to go for and if you have the S you'll just be yearning for the F
Get an F to start with and be totally satisfied
Agreed, get the F.

The naked one looks like they didn't finish it properly and had to sell it off cheap!
Mythic likes this.
Jim is offline  
post #7 of 78 Old 07-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
nicka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
The F models have more HP also as they believed the naked models could not handle it
Mythic and lumberjack like this.
nicka is offline  
post #8 of 78 Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Short test rides (as in a few minutes) are all you can get if you're lucky and I'm sure I'll like the bike but it's pretty much impossible to get a feel for the bike unless I just take the plunge.

I'm in a real rut with my bikes, I've had 25 now and the past several haven't even last a year, some only a month or two. ZX14R was too much bike, couldn't count on my KTM SMT, VFR12000 was just lame so I sold everything and now looking to buy two bikes that compliment each other. One of them is going to be an FJR.

I'm looking for a really fun easy to ride bike that will make me want to get out and ride, take to the track once in a while and not need a lot of mods to make it work well. I'm 160lbs suspension-wise and not terribly picky about the fueling but could see myself sending it to Woolich if the re-call doesn't fix it.

Thanks in advance
Not sure where you live but someone here in California is unloading an "F" model with 1000 miles for $8700 (no tax)

Last edited by holeshot408; 05-26-2017 at 12:58 AM.
holeshot408 is online now  
post #9 of 78 Old 07-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
The F models have more HP also as they believed the naked models could not handle it
Two completely bikes at very high speed. This is indisputable. Naked is butt ugly too. Fairing is sleek and aerodynamic.
Mythic likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
Stromer is offline  
post #10 of 78 Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
4tune8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: perth australia
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Everyone knows the F is the one to go for and if you have the S you'll just be yearning for the F
Get an F to start with and be totally satisfied
Ah the look of love , you own it you love it and i sort of understand the faired thing , hey, some guys marry blondes
4tune8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome