• 1 Post By ackack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First multi-day trip on the GSXS

I just completed a 4 day trip on my GSX-S1000F. Total of 3098 kilometers, including one brutal 1300 km day when I rode from 6:30 am to 9 pm stopping only for gas and the occasional short stretch. Here are my thoughts on the bike.

The GSXS is just a pleasure to ride. It feels great at any speed, whether you're cruising through town or out on the highway. It passes cars effortlessly while staying in 6th gear. It goes where you want it without any effort. Riding it just inspires confidence, I feel way more confident on it than I ever did on my last bike (a gsxr 600). It's also rare, I didn't see a single other one on my entire trip. Sport bikes in general were very rare outside cities, I saw probably several hundred bikes during my trip, and almost all of them were either Harley cruisers, Goldwings, or ADV bikes (V-stroms, KLRs, etc).

And it is comfortable! After a full day of riding I am only slightly tired, and after I sleep and wake up the next morning I am ready for another full day of riding. On my gsxr I would be sore everywhere for days after a long ride, my neck would be sore from being craned upwards to see forward, my right shoulder and wrist would be sore from having to hold the throttle, my butt would be sore, my back would be sore, my knees would be sore... On the gsxs only my butt would get sore after a while, so I do think the bike could use a better seat. And maybe my knees would get sore if I would ride for longer than 2 hours without stopping for a quick stretch, but not as sore as on my gsxr. No cruise control is needed, my right hand didn't feel the least tired even after doing 14 hours and 1300 kms in one day, whereas on my last bike it would tend to get sore.

The gsxs also got a lot of compliments, both from other riders and non-riders. I would get people ranging from teenage guys to old men telling me what a nice bike I had.

I averaged about 5L/100 kms (that's 47mpg). The bike seems to have a range of about 300 kms on highways. On one occasion I had to fill it up with 87 octane gas because that was all the gas station had, and I noticed no difference in performance or range. I would still recommend using 91 or better if it's available as I'm sure it's better for the engine, but it's good to know you can run on 87 if there is no other option.

Now I gotta give it a good wash (it's covered in bugs), clean and grease the chain, and then do an oil change.
post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2016, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a cracking trip. Glad you enjoyed it. I wear cycling shorts with gel inserts on longer trips now and that helps a lot.
vnuh likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
My findings exactly.
I haven't tried cycling shorts but i have found tight legged boxers are a lot more comfy than briefs for long distance.
Never thought I'd be discussing underpants on an online forum!! But it's true
I've got a long weekend planned on the bike for this weekend so I'd better go and check the washing basket

Pull my finger

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackack View Post
Sounds like a cracking trip. Glad you enjoyed it. I wear cycling shorts with gel inserts on longer trips now and that helps a lot.
Tried some on a long trip last year on the recommendation of a long distance adventure rider, and found they really cut into me. The marks took 3 days to go!
Didnt buy cheap ones or the most expensive but will give them a miss on my trip to Ron Haslam race school next week

Suzuki GSXS 1000 FA
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2016, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
My findings exactly.
I haven't tried cycling shorts but i have found tight legged boxers are a lot more comfy than briefs for long distance.
Never thought I'd be discussing underpants on an online forum!! But it's true
I've got a long weekend planned on the bike for this weekend so I'd better go and check the washing basket
30 yrs ago an older rider gave me the best tip i ever got for long distance riding. Take your wallet out of your back pocket , that eliminated a lot of bum and lower back soreness. I don't even drive my work ute, thats pick up , for some of you,with wallet in jeans pocket these days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page