LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sport Touring

I'm going to setup my GSXS to be my sport touring bike, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of luggage setup I want.
So far I've come up with:

-Tank bag and large soft tailbag only (not sure if I could fit my tent/sleeping bag and clothing in this)
-Tank bag and the Hepco&Becker C-Bow system with Royster bags and soft tailbag.
-Tank Bag and some sort of home-made/modified rack to mount my Givi E-22 hard bags.

Anyone else set up their bike for touring/luggage?
post #2 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in the exact same situation as you, problem is I want to keep the bike rack free when I'm not touring as that's how I like the look , I do like the Ventura racks and I've always had them but I don't like the bars running down the side of the bike, I currently have small brackets so I can attach a small gear rack but it doesn't really hold my large gear sack too well and I'm not sure how my brackets will hold a large rack , I need to be able to strap a tent, air bed and sleeping bag to the back of the rack also on the pillion seat without scratching the panels next to the rear seat leaving the gear sack for other gear, if I get a tank bag it will be the clip on type as I don't like the magnetic type scratching the tank and also I have 2 tank bags now but neither fit very well.
I have seen a couple of pics with saddle bags and they look good on the GSXS but they would need to be the right ones so they don't scratch the panels , currently I'm just using my Vstrom for touring as it has more weather protection and I don't care as much about scratches but as the weather improves I would like to use my beloved GSXS for touring
Let us know what you go for
post #3 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've looked for saddle bags too. Best I've seen so far are the SW-Motech Blaze. The support rod is removable when you aren't using the bags. Not cheap though. I do have 3 SW-Motech tank bags and like them. I have mounting rings on my other bikes too, so the tank bags can be used on any of the bikes in my garage and I'm not worried about magnets or straps.

post #4 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA803 View Post
I've looked for saddle bags too. Best I've seen so far are the SW-Motech Blaze. The support rod is removable when you aren't using the bags. Not cheap though. I do have 3 SW-Motech tank bags and like them. I have mounting rings on my other bikes too, so the tank bags can be used on any of the bikes in my garage and I'm not worried about magnets or straps.
I was looking at the givi tank bags that do the same thing where I can buy an extra ring and have one on each bike and just swap the bag from bike to bike ,that's good to read the rods are removable for the saddle bags as they look good, only problem I have now is to set all this up I would not see much change out of $1000 in Aus as none of the items are cheap
post #5 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
I have Oxford 1 throwovers which work perfectly. There are no permanent mounting frames. I have matte finish 3M clear film on the tailpiece to prevent scuffing as well as on the back of the tank. The bags have 3 cross straps, 2 of which go under the rear seat. The front of the bags are anchored to the rear footpeg hangers with thin yachting braid. The rear of the bags are stabilised with a bungee cord looped over the rear indicators. The whole setup can be removed in under 2 minutes. They've been on for about 7 months with no problems at all. I bungee a yachting dry bag to the top of then if I need a bit more capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (347.0 KB, 162 views)
vnuh likes this.
post #6 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've had some throwovers in the past, on my first SV and my V-Strom. Wasn't really a big fan, but I won't rule them out. Waterproofing is a big deal for me, maybe there's a set out there that are 100% waterproof that I'll like.

No offense to Hepco&Becker, but $200 for the Sportrack, just a bent piece of aluminum is kind of ridiculous. I ordered this cheap generic tail cowl to replace the rear seat and use as a base to make my own rear tailbag rack:
Unpainted Rear Seat Cover Fairing Cowl for Suzuki GSX S1000 GSX S1000F 15 16 | eBay
Should arrive in the next couple weeks, I'll report on what I think of it. I've got some scrap aluminum I can use to make a mounting plate.

I have an SW Motech Evo City tankbag that I switch between my V-Strom and the SV. It fits both tanks well, but I set it on the GSXS and I don't think it would be a good fit. Right now I'm really considering one of the Givi 3d rigid tank bags, either the large one (604) or the smaller one (603).
post #7 of 34 Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
I've had some throwovers in the past, on my first SV and my V-Strom. Wasn't really a big fan, but I won't rule them out. Waterproofing is a big deal for me, maybe there's a set out there that are 100% waterproof that I'll like.
Likewise! The Oxfords come with stretchy over-covers which aren't too bad but not 100%. All I do is put the contents into plastic garden bags first. Never had a problem.

I've had Ventura gear on my last 2 bikes but I thought the rack spoiled the lines of the Suzuki and as I had the Oxfords laying about in the shed unused for several years, it was no contest!

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 07-08-2016 at 11:30 PM.
post #8 of 34 Old 07-09-2016, 05:32 AM

Garage
This one would be good from Ventura, I found it on their site but it doesn't show up on the Australian distributor site, all in one and it would be nice to see how easy it could be removed as in just the l bracket with a grab bar maybe, I also like how it has the two racks one on the front and rear as when I place my bag on the pillion seat the pillion seats so small the bag can rock a lot side to side and this would allow for a bag and strapping the tent and stuff like you are after

PS-SU-003-LB/B - motorcycle luggage | Ventura MCA

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #9 of 34 Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Zak

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
I've just got back from doing 7 countries in 8 days in Europe in all weathers and I got everything I needed including air compressor ( in case of puncture) in a pair of SW Motech blaze panniers, and I didn't even have them expanded to the full volume. They have a waterproof inner bag and I've never had anything get wet whenever I have used them

GSX-S1000 Red/Black naked
post #10 of 34 Old 07-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Right now I have a swMotech tank bag and tail bag. pic attached. If I do decide to go for long runs I'll invest in blaze system. I like the quality of their products and it will give plenty of storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160528_171611_1468088430730.jpg (174.0 KB, 172 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page