• 1 Post By Avalon786

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
advice on getting at oil filter

going to change the oil filter on my f, havnt had a proper look underneath yet but i know you can get at the filter without taking off the fairing ,what do i have to undo any advice please
post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Just take the fairing off, unfortunately. Any other way and you run a good chance of burning yourself, damaging the plastic, and making a much bigger mess.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
going to change the oil filter on my f, havnt had a proper look underneath yet but i know you can get at the filter without taking off the fairing ,what do i have to undo any advice please
I did mine without taking it off, it was a bit of a pain but it is doable , I think I removed the screws on one side to loosen the lower fairing and I needed a filter wrench turning it millimetres at a time to loosen it, I also put some foil over the headers to reduce the amount of oil spilling on them, replace the filter with one with a hex head on it and it will be easier next time,a K&N one has it, I haven't removed my fairing yet and I am sure it will be a pain and stressful the first time but easier after that as that's how I have experienced my previous bikes,
lumberjack and mroseland like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
The filter is behind the header pipes so removing the fairing completely doesn't really give you that much of an advantage. I changed my oil about half an hour after riding, by this time the header pipes had cooled down enough to touch without burning me. The oil was still hot but not too hot to touch.

If you want to use a torque wrench then I think you will need to come at the filter from the front, so in that case you will need to remove the fairing. However you can avoid using a torque wrench and just tighten the filter until the gasket touches the metal, then give it 2 more full turns. THat's if using a suzuki oem filter, other filters might require only 1 turn or less, it should say on the filter instructions.

I used this type of tool to loosen and tighten the filter:
lumberjack likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2016, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Arrow

I just did a change on my naked. Removed my bottom fairing/cowling. Used this tool to remove and install (did 2 full turns once I made contact with the gasket-metal):
lumberjack likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
The oil filter wrenches are great. I think they are all of 8.00. Cheaper if you look around.

Especially when you realize your old oil filter is not going to a museum.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I also have an F model. Take the left side fairing off. I bought a Suzuki oil filter wrench (p/n 09915-40611) and use Suzuki filters(p/n 16510-07J00). A 3/8 inch drive rachet with no extension fits into the wrench and the whole thing fits from the side behind the headers and onto the end of the oil filter. Easy once the faring is off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page