LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lumbar Discectomy / Laminectomy and riding

So,

very long story short, like a lot of people I wrecked my back in a MVA about 13 years ago, have put up with traction and other stuff on and off when it flares up each time.
Had lots of time off work over the years (where you use your holidays as sick leave and therefore never get a family holiday) So it finally came to a head the other week and it felt a little different to the usual pain and numbness (down left leg to foot etc).

So it was decided last week that I need to undergo surgery ASAP to rectify - this Friday (release nerve's that are being impinged, shave some vertebrae and discs, get some good old silastic out and seal some of the discs back up whilst there.) on the L4/5 and and L5/S1.

So my big question is, has anyone on here had similar procesdure or aware of someone that has, and also rides bikes?

My brand new bike is sitting here with not many k's on her and I want to ride! lol I'm paid up and booked in for a Charity ride over 3 days that starts in 7 weeks.... am i downright mentally challenged for thinking im going to do this ride or is it a tangible and reachable realistic goal?

wife thinks im a little cray, but thats nothing new.
post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRIIClubby View Post
So,

very long story short, like a lot of people I wrecked my back in a MVA about 13 years ago, have put up with traction and other stuff on and off when it flares up each time.
Had lots of time off work over the years (where you use your holidays as sick leave and therefore never get a family holiday) So it finally came to a head the other week and it felt a little different to the usual pain and numbness (down left leg to foot etc).

So it was decided last week that I need to undergo surgery ASAP to rectify - this Friday (release nerve's that are being impinged, shave some vertebrae and discs, get some good old silastic out and seal some of the discs back up whilst there.) on the L4/5 and and L5/S1.

So my big question is, has anyone on here had similar procesdure or aware of someone that has, and also rides bikes?

My brand new bike is sitting here with not many k's on her and I want to ride! lol I'm paid up and booked in for a Charity ride over 3 days that starts in 7 weeks.... am i downright mentally challenged for thinking im going to do this ride or is it a tangible and reachable realistic goal?

wife thinks im a little cray, but thats nothing new.
If the roads are bad AND have a bad back I would say no way if your going to spend 3 days in the saddle, if the roads are ok then not too bad but it will be testing especially on this bike, it is a comfortable seating position but the suspension has a lot to be desired , if it was an adventure bike then no problem with their cushioning ride but it's not
Just my opinion
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 AM
baz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mate had what sounds like exactly the same operation ,pain went down right leg ,and around to front just above ankle ,got two the stage where my right leg was pretty much " buggered" in "96" or "97"aged 30 or 31yrs, lower discs from lifting etc. a lot of pain for first few weeks from operation and "memory" nerve pain .I walked 2 days after the operation got let out 3 days after that (blokes in my ward much older than me hadn t got out of beds to walk 2 weeks after there ops) I couldn't get my leg over a bike for weeks after op ended up off work for 11 weeks off memory which was a little stretched( wasn t in a hurry to go back to dye -setting) but end result was and still is fantastic I think your charity ride or any riding will be out of the question . Maybe operation techniques have changed since my op, but what you described sounds very similar Anyway, be VERY careful who does your op, my self and 2 other blokes I know had the same neurosurgeon Dr Mark Davies, virtually the same op at the same time unbeknown to me ,Dave was 53yrs at the time a neighbour, the other I met a couple of years ago through sport he was very late 60 ,s early 70,s when I met him , we all had great results but I also know of one or two that were not so successful. Hope this helps. Cheers
VRIIClubby likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Op went successfully, 5 weeks post surgery today, itching to get on the bike and give her a squirt.

thanks for the advice Nicka and Baz, Im aiming to do my own modified version of the ride, So i'll meet mates half way and only do a few hours a day. but, see my surgeon next week so he'll be the one to decide what happens.

Rehab (hydro therapy and physio) are going well, up to walking 6-8km a day already, so fingers crossed.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2016, 03:11 AM
baz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mate ,that's great news ,ya gotta be happy with that result,if your that good now long term you should be laughing as well,all the best with the ride. cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2016, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hang in there and keep recovering but don't push too hard as it'll just set ya back some. You'll know when your pushing it as people like us with spine issues quickly know when we're doing too much. My advice is to warm up and do a full stretching routine before and after each ride as it'll help.

Btw, I just joined the forum and saw this post so I thought I'd give a shout as I too am living with a **** back. I've had 2 surgeries, one when I was 19 after a wreck on my '99 R1, and then when I was 32(I'm now 41), the surgeries consisted of 4 discectomies and 2 laminectomies. I'm currently living with 5 herniations and eat oxy's like breath mints but I function pretty good most days but refuse to get cut into again unless I really need it, aka if I loose function in my legs or junk again I can't stop riding bikes though when able as the adrenaline is my favorite addiction. I've been through 11 sport bikes in my time so far and I'm picking up my GSXS tomorrow which is going to be my first Suzuki ever!

Be well but Ride Fast and Take Chances!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2016, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i've had L5/S1 and L4/L5 on seperate surgeries back in my 30's. i'm 50 now. so the surgeries were a while ago. i rarely have back pain when i ride. actually the seating position of my bikes puts less stress on the lower back than sitting in a chair. on the suzuki, your feet are below you but not in front of you, that bend in the knee and foot position reduces stress on the area. i do a lot of yoga, have an inversion table i hang upside down on every day, get a massage once a week, stay relatively thin and try to stretch every day as well. so far so good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page