User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-23-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trouble with LED Install

I have a F model and took my favorite night time ride to Canyon Lake. Headlight is ok if bike straight up and down but when leaning over just slightly, the beam doesn't show the curves. So, I take bike to dealer to have a 3000-lumin LED high beam bulb installed. But after a wait they tell me the front section (fairing) of bike has to be removed due to (words to the effect) insufficient room to fasten bulb around the fan assembly(?). Final verdict: dealer quoted around 2.5 to 3 hours to remove fairing, replace bulb, and reinstall. Are there any tricks around that or go with fairing removal?
post #2 of 20 Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The fairing removal can't be that hard?

Only The Good Die Young 45

Remember when sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous...?
post #3 of 20 Old 07-23-2016, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I have a F model and took my favorite night time ride to Canyon Lake. Headlight is ok if bike straight up and down but when leaning over just slightly, the beam doesn't show the curves. So, I take bike to dealer to have a 3000-lumin LED high beam bulb installed. But after a wait they tell me the front section (fairing) of bike has to be removed due to (words to the effect) insufficient room to fasten bulb around the fan assembly(?). Final verdict: dealer quoted around 2.5 to 3 hours to remove fairing, replace bulb, and reinstall. Are there any tricks around that or go with fairing removal?

first time tokk me about 20 minutes to remove fairing now no no longer the five.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wow. Wonder why there is such a disparity in time? Thanks, will confer with my people from here.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-24-2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
I took them on and off a few times for practice. While still a royal PITA, I have it down to twenty minutes now without rushing.

Page 71 of this awesome service .pdf (which no GSXS should be without) is invaluable...

http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki_mc/GS...nformation.pdf

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #6 of 20 Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I suspect your dealer is talking about removing the "nose" where the headlights are located. To do this both side farings must be removed first. I would be interested in learning how it turns out if you decide to go ahead with an LED.

Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I have remove the whole nose assembly on my F model, when i installed my HID light really simple once the large harness is disconnected on the right side fairing. There's 2 bolts holding the whole nose assembly. The trick is to lay a towel on the front fender loosen upper and lower support bolts until you can spin it with your fingers support whole assembly then remove. I say 10 minute work.

RIDING RELIEVES MY STRESS FROM WORK
post #8 of 20 Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16suzy1k View Post
I have remove the whole nose assembly on my F model, when i installed my HID light really simple once the large harness is disconnected on the right side fairing. There's 2 bolts holding the whole nose assembly. The trick is to lay a towel on the front fender loosen upper and lower support bolts until you can spin it with your fingers support whole assembly then remove. I say 10 minute work.
Thanks for the tips on taking the nose off.

If I may ask, where did you mount the hid ballast and igniter. I bought a hid kit but cannot figure a place for all the extra stuff. I have not taken the nose off yet.

Thanks
post #9 of 20 Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
On the F model i mounted low beam ballast in between the 2 headlights drilled a small hole underneath it seats vertical used a small zip tie with a male and female velcro to hold it together, so far it didnt move. As for the igniter it seats on a pocket above the headlight ziptied to other wiring harness. I didnt even bother installing the high beam as the 6500K ultra HID i used is superbright. Theres is also plenty of room on a pocket above headlights you can tuck in all the harnesses in there, just have to find a way to make sure ballast doesnt move around. This is on the "F" model as for the "S" i would investigate the best way to hide it.

RIDING RELIEVES MY STRESS FROM WORK

Last edited by 16suzy1k; 07-28-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added more information
post #10 of 20 Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 PM

Thanks a lot 16suzy. I have the F model also. I think I may give it another go by taking the nose off as you described. Your description of where you put the stuff was very helpful.

With regard to your comment on high beam, I dont think that standard HID bulbs are recommended for high beam because they have a delay in comming on and take a while to reach full brightness. Just stick with the halogen bulb. You might be able to get a replacement halogen bulb for high beam that more closely matches the color of your new 6500K low beam hid.

I just want to replace the low beam halogen with an HID. I have had a 35 watt, 5000K HID bulb (from DDM Tuning) in the low beam socket on my other motorcycle for over four years and 23,000 miles and it is still burning brightly! Very happy with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page