19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suspension setup

Hi, I have recently purchased a new GSXS1000 and was seeking some advice re: suspension settings.

For me, I find the rear suspension a bit hard and wondered if anyone had any advice or a similar experience.

I'm 13 stone or approx 82kgs.

Any idea what setup would suit my weight, and how I would go about adjusting it.

Steve.
post #2 of 64 Old 07-25-2016, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Stevechesterton, I reduced rear rebound by adding an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn out from stock and added one more turn out from stock on front rebound compression (look in manual and it shows where the adjustment screws are--I did it anyone can do it ). This seemed to help. It probably needs a new shock, but philosophically, if we wanted to spend mass quantities of dollars wouldn't we have bought a different bike? (BTW, I'm about 79 kg.)

Last edited by rickster; 07-25-2016 at 12:35 AM.
post #3 of 64 Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Its no race bike suspension for sure. But for our weight. I'm about 82kg too. I find it ideal for twistiest and commuting. In fact, a little soft (for my regular preference) This bike's suspension reacts very well to the setting changes that we have. But since we dont have a rear compression adjuster, I just match the front comp. rate with the rear.

We can all just give rough ball park figures but it will also depend on riding style and how you sit on the bike. The best way is to set it up correctly. The stock suspension set up is in the manual, so you can always go back to that.

Here is a good vid that shows how to set up suspension. This is part 1, there is a part 2. This was recommended on one of the threads before and looks like a great guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1KPuOzvLg

You may want to combine that with this link that explains symptoms of given settings.
Suspension Tuning Guide ? ROADRACE MOTORCYCLES

Ride safe dude

post #4 of 64 Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Best thing I found was to chuck the standard shock away and get a Nitron. I couldn't get it set right whatever I did.
tonyt and kneeslider like this.
post #5 of 64 Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerKev View Post
Best thing I found was to chuck the standard shock away and get a Nitron. I couldn't get it set right whatever I did.
yes, same here.
i installed a wilbers shock, has the external reservoir under the pillion seat. very nice.
post #6 of 64 Old 07-27-2016, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Which model of wilbers shock did you get? keen to do a review/pics?
i'm shopping for rear shocks..
post #7 of 64 Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
it's a wilbers 641, has external reservoir and hi-/lo speed compression damping adjustment, as well as rebound adjustemnet, height adjustment and hydraulik spring preload.
the spring prload hydraulik part comes with a part to mount it at the exhaust screw, very nice.
the reservoir is under the pillion seta.everything fits nicely, without the need to modify anything.
i ordered the shock with a custom spring rate of 80N/mm. this is the softest spring allowed for the german TV. i'm really happy with it, because i found the original shock way too hard. i'm about 20 km/h faster on my reference track, too.
Still not enoug pictures, but you may find some on the wilbers site, if they already have it there.
i ordered ine on the dortmund show in March this year, there i could talk to the technical manager. nice guys there....
post #8 of 64 Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Its not just about your weight but how you sit on the bike and where you put your weight.

I've put together a page on adjusting Sag on a GSXS which may help

The standard rear shock is not very compliant or well controlled so I changed to an Ohlins GP shock and this then showed up the weaknesses at the front so I revalved the front with a Piston Kit from K-Tech
kneeslider likes this.
post #9 of 64 Old 07-29-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
i stuck a wilbers 641 on mine with TD cartridges in the front...best mod for the bike. I had the same experience that after upgrading the rear, the front was obviously inferior. The bike is now soo much smoother.....and thats the main problem with the oem setup. No matter how well you adjust it, the high speed dampening sucks. This translates to a rougher ride and more bumpy/vibration feel, might always feel hard. Cheaper shocks just cant move the oil back and forth fast enough.
post #10 of 64 Old 07-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I know it goes against the grain but I pay no attention to SAG. As far as I'm concerned that just tells you if you have the correct springs for your weight. I just adjust the suspension where it feels and performs the best for me. Every time I go to the trouble to set the SAG according to the so called experts the suspension never seems right. My last two bikes I actually changed the springs to fit my weight and still I got better results by not going with the SAG adjustments. Just sayin! BTW you are correct about where you sit on the bike.
I was a dirt rider for many years and with every bike I owned the center balance was as close to the tank as possible. Most of the sport bikes I've owned handle better if I push up close to the tank.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page