I wanted to mount the GPS that did not require the use of the aux power supply in the headlight cowl so I can transfer it to the other bikes and my car.
Items I used.
1. Tomtom xl 5 inch screen which I use in my car
2. 6 inch water proof GPS case I bought on ebay. $13.99AUD
3. Foam spacers that came with the GPS
3. USB to Mini USB cable that came with the Tomtom.
4. Generic power bank/power brick portable power scource 50000mAh from ebay $14.99AUD
5. Velcro strap 10 inch adjustable
6. 4 M6 x 10mm screws and nuts
I removed the ball mount and screwed the inside mounting plate to the outside and sandwiched the Velcro strap. I used the foam spacers to cushion the unit and create a secure base that wont scratch the bar clamps.
I rode around for 1 hour with the GPS on and with full brightness and the power brick still had 95% remaining.
The unit didn't move around.
I'm not usually on the bike for more than 5 hours in a day. And its super easy to detach the whole unit.
This will also work with my phone and will probably consume less power from the power bank.
So if you have a car GPS 6 inch or less, this is a cost effective way to have a removable waterproof/resistant GPS mount without having to buy a dedicated unit which can be an extra few $100s of dollars.
Last edited by adrianpeds; 08-24-2016 at 08:41 PM.