Street triple vs GSX S1000F - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Street triple vs GSX S1000F

been window shopping for bikes for a while now and come down to looking at the GSX S1000F and the Triumph Street Triple.

I'm interested in a great all around bike and both of these offer performance and comfort. The GSX offers Superbike power and good looks IMHO. the street triple gives up a little comfort and power but has sharper handling, a good chink less weight, and better MPG. Also a new 765cc model will be coming next year.

I see a top of potential in the GSX with a couple grand put into it and it looks more comfortable for highway riding or longer trips with the extra wind protection and with some exhaust mods and a good shock it could be as powerful as a super bike and as comfortable and good handling as you could get considering its hefty weight which is about 100 lbs more. I really like the idea of a comfortable sport bike with 155 RWHP after tuning.

The Street Triple does not have the long distance comfort of the GSX but its motor puts out usable torque in a fun lightweight sharp chassis. It won't have the crazy power of the GSX but it will rev out well and be a more visceral ride.


would love to hear your opinions
mprhead5 is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Junior Member
 
limey177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I had the street triple previously, 2013 model. SC Project Exhaust, K&N Filter and the correct ECU map to go with it.

I get the same if not better mileage on GSX-S and the handling is not that far off the Street Triple IMO. (I'm not the greatest rider though)

The GSX-S is so much better, as soon as I took it for a test ride I was hooked. Bought it 5 days later.

4000 miles on I still feel the same.

Plus, those **** headlights on the Street triple, i got sick of the look of them.
vnuh likes this.
limey177 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the feedback. I agree with those lights and ther isn't much looks wise the street triple does for me whole from the pictures I have seen the S1000F has a really clean style to it. I was a little taken back when I found out that the GSX was like 100 lbs more than the Street Triple and I sort of figured that the street triple would handle a fair bit better.

The common complaints about the GSX shortcomings are the throttle and the suspension. I really feel that the GSX seems to get matched up in comparisons with bikes much ore expensive and such never comes out ahead of bikes that cost 50% more .

common complaints are the snatchy throttle (easily fixed, and the suspension on rougher roads which I guess are due to the rear shock or overall setup. Thats one thing that has turned me off from other bikes like the FZ-09 because the stock suspensions where budget or not adjustable. the difference is the FZ can take a ZX10 shock for cheap while I am guessing the GSX needs a 800.00 plus shock to be on the level of the bikes I have had before (929RR, Tuono Factory)

I was interested in the Triple because of its comfort, handling, and torque heavy middleweight character. I have been on higher power bikes for a while but often felt that I didn't get to rev them out as much as I could a middleweight. of course once I realized what the nature of the S1000F my thoughts of sensible power levels immediately evaporated.
mprhead5 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I dont think there is a 100 pound weight difference. Maybe more like 70.
Rusty is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffroGymnast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I dont think there is a 100 pound weight difference. Maybe more like 70.
Looks like the street triple weighs around 415 lbs wet. The GSX-S is right at 460 lbs.
JeffroGymnast is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
yea I double checked and reports of the triple R"S weight comes in at 399-415 depending who you ask or what optional parts you order. ?I'm reading the GSX S1000F at 474 wet so thats 60-75 lbs difference.


Planly stated Triple has

Pro's
better suspension,
half a weight class in handling advantage (one of the best handling middleweights out there),
amazing stock brakes
great usable torque for the weight class
more engaging riding experience

Cons
always switched on small dog syndrome?
questionable styling
less dealer availability

GSX-F

PRO's
fairing allows for much better highway and distance comfort
GSXR engine would tune to 155 RWHP and love it!
Styling tickles me. Only seen pics so far nut I absolutely love the F in blue.

CON's
several known issues to address (throttle, rear shock)
heavier than other bikes I have owned
less appealing handling characteristics

I think that If I bought the GSX I would miss the engagement of a light ready to rumble middleweight but I think as an overall motorcycle it ticks more boxes as a do it all bike. If I get the triple I may end up finding times where it is not best suited to the task like taking multi day trips as I am somewhat disabled but heavily value performance.

Its funny I cross posted this on the triumphrat forum and the first few responses where people saying how much they loved the GSX. one saying he missed out on it by 3 weeks before it launched and the other citing insurance costs. those against site the light weight and nimble handling
mprhead5 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffroGymnast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
yea I double checked and reports of the triple R"S weight comes in at 399-415 depending who you ask or what optional parts you order. ?I'm reading the GSX S1000F at 474 wet so thats 60-75 lbs difference.


Planly stated Triple has

Pro's
better suspension,
half a weight class in handling advantage (one of the best handling middleweights out there),
amazing stock brakes
great usable torque for the weight class
more engaging riding experience

Cons
always switched on small dog syndrome?
questionable styling
less dealer availability

GSX-F

PRO's
fairing allows for much better highway and distance comfort
GSXR engine would tune to 155 RWHP and love it!
Styling tickles me. Only seen pics so far nut I absolutely love the F in blue.

CON's
several known issues to address (throttle, rear shock)
heavier than other bikes I have owned
less appealing handling characteristics

I think that If I bought the GSX I would miss the engagement of a light ready to rumble middleweight but I think as an overall motorcycle it ticks more boxes as a do it all bike. If I get the triple I may end up finding times where it is not best suited to the task like taking multi day trips as I am somewhat disabled but heavily value performance.

Its funny I cross posted this on the triumphrat forum and the first few responses where people saying how much they loved the GSX. one saying he missed out on it by 3 weeks before it launched and the other citing insurance costs. those against site the light weight and nimble handling
You really gotta ride both, man! I was in the same position with the FZ-09 and GSX-S until I rode them back to back. It was easy to decide after that.
JeffroGymnast is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yea I'm still wheelchair bound for another 6 months to a year. I quickly dismissed the FZ-09 because the stock suspension is utter garbage. The new FZ-10 has some appeal but I think for the same price as an FZ-10 I can set up a GSX how I like and be better in every way. I'm hoping to get my wife to wheel me into a dealer soon so I can see the GSX S1000F for myself. From looking at the pics I really like the styling. Its so clean to the eye but I really need to get a look at the front to make sure.

Last edited by mprhead5; 08-15-2016 at 10:18 PM.
mprhead5 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffroGymnast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
Yea I'm still wheelchair bound for another 6 months to a year. I quickly dismissed the FZ-09 because the stock suspension is utter garbage. The new FZ-10 has some appeal but I think for the same price as an FZ-10 I can set up a GSX how I like and be better in every way. I'm hoping to get my wife to wheel me into a dealer soon so I can see the GSX S1000F for myself. From looking at the pics I really like the styling. Its so clean to the eye but I really need to get a look at the front to make sure.
The blue GSX-S is truly stunning in person. IMO, the F looks awful from the front, but hey that's just me You do really have to see it in person, though, pictures just don't do it justice.
JeffroGymnast is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-16-2016, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I think my concerns with the street triple vs the GSX is that the triple would have a more frantic personality and that if I lived where I was commuting and hour to work on the highway then the faired and smoother GSX would clearly be the better choise. If the bike was just for 5 mile commuting and leisure riding in the mountains the the triple is the clear choice.

where the grey area comes in is when you also start to consider the personal preference of the triple vs GSXR power plant, visual aesthetics, and dealer support. Suzuki clearly had better dealer support unless you live in the right area. If your in a small town in anywhere america you are not likely to have a dealer near by. The motor preferance is a preferance and completely up to individual taste as both power plants are great. The visual appeal is also a high factor. I tent to like the look of the GSX more but I have not seen one in person yet and I know that the front leaves something to be desired from a head on view but its not like the newer street triple has any appeal from the front either lets be honest
mprhead5 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome