• 1 Post By wojo72

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Light?

Does anybody happen to know what the conditions are needed to trigger the oil pressure light to come on?
post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
See owner's manual, pag. 24
Go first and check the oil level.

"Riding the motorcycle with the oil pressure indicator light lit can damage the engine and transmission.If the oil pressure indicator light comes on, indicating low oil pressure, stop the engine immediately.Check the oil level and add oil if necessary. If there is a proper amount of oil and the light still does not go out, have your authorized Suzuki dealer or a qualified mechanic inspect your motorcycle".

Last edited by Kassu; 09-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-02-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I was looking for specifics. Due to stupidity I was running 3/4 quart low. Was wondering how low it would have to get before it was considered dangerous and throw a light.
Kassu likes this.

Last edited by wojo72; 09-02-2016 at 02:47 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
How much is 3/4 quart, was it below the lower line on the oil sight glass when the bike is stood up straight?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I added 3/4 quart to get it back up to the top fill line. I think that high fill to low fill line is like 1/2 quart so I was a little under the low line. Red light and little oil can never came on. I just babied it home and then topped it off once it cooled off. Cleaned up the mess this morning with dish soap.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
If the oil light has come on that means the pump has run dry which means at some point there has been no oil going to the various journals in the engine. Not good, when they say you should stop the engine immediately you really should!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-03-2016, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojo72 View Post
I added 3/4 quart to get it back up to the top fill line. I think that high fill to low fill line is like 1/2 quart so I was a little under the low line. Red light and little oil can never came on. I just babied it home and then topped it off once it cooled off. Cleaned up the mess this morning with dish soap.
Hopefully you will be fine. Meny moons ago I had an old bike which had a bit of a valve issue and used a little oil. One day I was out on a run and not until I went up a steep hill did the light come on. I stopped immediately, turned around and coasted back down to the flat where I checked the oil. I couldn't even see it!
I was in the middle of nowhere so I had no choice, i turned the engine back on and luckily it started and the oil light went out. I ran off to the nearest garage and got it topped up. I guess the level was low enough that when I went up the steep hill there wasn't enough in the sump to keep the pump up to pressure.
Why was your oil low? Have you done a recent oil change? or is it burning some with use?

Pull my finger
post #8 of 8 Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Hi All, I think we all would like the background to this one as oil lights are a serious event.
Any chance your bike has been on short trips and on one long hot trip the dissolved petrol in the sump evaporated out, being re burnt in the motor and low oil then in the sump?
With the TPS issue resulting in higher fuel use and only 2 rings used on pistons today, it may be a reason as good as any for artificially holding the oil at a reasonable working level.
I had a Yam XJR1200 once that shares a design fault with the FJ1200 in that the oil sensor was flat paddle and if the oil level dropped slightly below the bottom level mark (when cold), the oil light would come on rounding the first corner. The bike was fine.
Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page