• 4 Post By Jaked

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Riding without a speedometer?

So I somehow managed to break my front wheel speed sensor when I took off the brake calipers to lube the back of the pads (to eliminate squeeking). I still don't know how I did it, I was very careful, but the dealer says the sensor is broken. He ordered the part but it will take him 2 weeks to receive it. In the meantime, there's beautiful weather coming up this weekend, is it safe to ride with the speedometer not working? I will use my phone mounted on the handlebars with a gps ap so I'll still be aware of my speed, so no concern there. I just want to make sure riding this way won't damage the engine. And obviously abs and tc won't be functional. I have already ridden once to the dealership and back and didn't notice any harm coming to the engine from that ride, but that was a very short ride.
tonyt likes this.
post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2016, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Bummer!
Can't imagine it would do any harm. You might get some error codes but no physical damage.

Pull my finger
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Take one for the team, let's see what happens. If we don't hear back from you, we know not to do it.

Getting up it for the rent

post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
For you my northern neighbor winter is just around the corner. Ride the bike and enjoy it! I can't imagine it would hurt anything.

Are you sure the sensor is mounted back corrrectly. I don't see how you could break it. I could see it mounted too far away from the abs disk maybe. What about a blown fuse.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The dealer examined my bike and specifically told me the sensor is broken.

Here's a pic of it, you can see how one side is flat as if it's been squished, but I can't recall how this could have happened. I unscrewed the sensor while I was working on the caliper. Then when I was done with lubing the brakes, I screwed the sensor back in. The bike did not move while the sensor was out of its hole. Unless I was possessed by a ghost and did something I do not remember, I can't imagine how I caused that damage. But I must have, because the speedometer was working fine before I did the brake work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sensor.jpg (98.9 KB, 46 views)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
The dealer examined my bike and specifically told me the sensor is broken.

Here's a pic of it, you can see how one side is flat as if it's been squished, but I can't recall how this could have happened. I unscrewed the sensor while I was working on the caliper. Then when I was done with lubing the brakes, I screwed the sensor back in. The bike did not move while the sensor was out of its hole. Unless I was possessed by a ghost and did something I do not remember, I can't imagine how I caused that damage. But I must have, because the speedometer was working fine before I did the brake work.
Put it down to a learning curve....
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2016, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Hi Capn, I am a bit confused by that sensor. I am sure your speedo has stopped working as you have seen that, but I was thinking that you would also have ABS lighting up a warning lamp (if fitted), and perhaps traction control as that sensor is used for both of these functions too, I would think.

I was initially surprised that the speedo was affected, but looks like Suzi has deleted the sensor that was operated by a castellated nut on the front chain sprocket shaft on older bikes. That would save a duplication of sensors and save some cents.

Edit: Just had a look at mine in situ, and it looks cylinder round. Is there a flat side already there from the factory, as there seems to be only that one mounting bolt screw holding it in place? Like the bike base has a D shape to match a D shape of the sensor ?
The scratch marks extend for the sensor ring end to the mounting base flange, so was the sensor able to twist back into the hole again while you were struggling with the wheel.
The sensor has a very powerful magnet, so make sure that there is no iron dust short circuiting the magnetic field across the pole face.
Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 09-05-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page