3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-16-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Dealer fees, why they differ?

Hi again forum memebers, i wanted to get some feedback on this and in doing so get some clarification. When tax season comes in '17' I will be getting my new bike either the naked or faired one, still can't decide between the two. When the time comes to buy i should have about 9 grand to put down on either bike. What I wanted to find out is how can some dealerships charge more for freight and setup than others, one dealership i went to wanted just over $1500 dollars for F&S and another wanted just under $750 for the same thing. What gives, why would they be different? Thanks for the feedback.
post #2 of 12 Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
I know nothing about how it works in the US but are you not just looking at the total ie on the road price? It doesn't really matter what they charge as long as total cost is less surely.
Better windshield price to attract people more??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
There's really no rhyme or reason...everyone's trying to make a buck. I called 3 different dealerships close to me about a different bike...2 were pretty close, 1 was out in left field. And the 1 that was out in left field said they'd "take care of me" as a repeat customer.

'17 Husky 701 SM

post #4 of 12 Old 09-16-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
If I put down 9 grand I would want the bike than no more than 11 OTD.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-17-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I spent many years working in the powersports industry and feel that the ONLY additional fee other than tax if applicable would be for your tag, $25. People hate fees, hate them, me especially, keep it simple dealers out there and you'll sell more, I did... If a dealer won't work with you on fees, then go somewhere else, there's lots of Suzuki dealers to choose from.
Rhyno54 and Motorider like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You need to call around and find a high volume dealer that doesn't add all the fees, they are out there and you usually have to be willing to drive a distance. I just picked up a 2016 S1000F for $9K without state taxes added.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-25-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Its been years since I sold bikes, but the freight and set up figures were a scientific calculation based on how much space your crated motorcycle took up, or we pulled them out of our asses....whichever was higher.

Truth is, there was a moderate freight charge to get the bike from the warehouse to our shop. True, soemoen did have to do some very light assembly work. Maybe attach a front wheel, or put on a set of bars (cables already in place). Most of the time, the bike had oil. Rear wheel was usually attached. Chain was adjusted when the bike was crated in Japan.

My best advise is to not even get into specifics. Make an "Out the door" offer . Often times a customer would offer 10k for the bike. Id throw in, "OK, plus license, doc, , freight and taxes."

Local taxes were about 7%, and that had to be added in. Local peopel were familiar with that, anyway, so no biggie. It was an honest figure.

License/doc fee was clearly posted at 250.00. At this point, freight was added in, and it was pretty much whatever figure we felt we could get, and your 10 bike just turned into 12,500. otd. Then, you'd go into the big boobed finance lady, and any straight guy would walk out of there with an 800.00 dollar , extended warranty.

This dealer is still in business, and operates the same as it did back then...well over 50 years in the same location.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice,when i buy in March my offer is going to be 10K OTD that's with fees included and leave it at that and if they can do it fine if not then i'll go to another dealership.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
That's how I did it. Made an OTD offer with taxes, fees, and everything bundled together. Keeps things simpler. It also helps if you don't have a trade in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno54 View Post
Thanks for the advice,when i buy in March my offer is going to be 10K OTD that's with fees included and leave it at that and if they can do it fine if not then I'll go to another dealership.
Rhyno54 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
wojo72 how much did you get yours for and what bike did you get?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page