Advice needed: Getting a PCV installed today - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Redman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice needed: Getting a PCV installed today

Hi Guys,


Just after a little direction. I've got my bike in for a service today & have had my arm twisted on possibly getting a Power Commander V installed while it's in the shop, however I've got two companies I'm looking at to do the job, who are down the road from each other, and they are both saying they've installed PCV's on GSXS' previously (I know for sure at least one of them has & the other is a Suzuki dealer themselves so..), however both are outlining different things to do whilst installing it. Just after some clarification whether they're full of s*^t or not . By the way, my main aim by installing the PCV is to remove/reduce the throttle snatch (if/where possible) and improve the throttle control at slow speeds, not unlike other issues heard before. The comments from both are as follows;


First installer (Suzuki dealer) recommends installing the PCV with the standard map from Dynojet as the stock exhaust is still fitted and that any gains or benefit from custom mapping would be negligible because they can't properly install a sniffer into the standard exhaust, meaning they won't get proper dyno results. They said that until I fit an a complete aftermarket exhaust, they wouldn't run on a dyno and that the standard map would be an improvement. They also recommend at the same time removing the set-valve altogether and installing a Healtech exhaust servo eliminator.


The second installer operates a dyno & is an actual Dynojet distributor. They have recommended installing the PCV & custom mapping on their dyno to achieve best results. They also mentioned about having to block off the pair valve also. They wouldn't need to remove the set valve they believe.


Although I'm waiting on the Suzuki dealer to give me an accurate quote, from what he was talking the pricing between the two won't be overly different. I'm just looking for any advice anyone can give me for what these guys have told me & also if there's anything additional I should do when installing the PCV.


Cheers!


_____________________________________________

2016 GSXS-1000 Red/Black - Got it!
2003 GSXR-600 - Sold
Redman is offline  
post #2 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
m0n4g3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
My advice...

Get a flashtune from FTECU.

Ask dynojet dealer if he can just flashtune your bike using the FTECU instead of the dynojet, as you can disable the SET valve, you can disable PAIR, you can remove TRE, etc with the flashtune. PCV will not do this.

2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Blue
m0n4g3 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Redman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
My advice...

Get a flashtune from FTECU.

Ask dynojet dealer if he can just flashtune your bike using the FTECU instead of the dynojet, as you can disable the SET valve, you can disable PAIR, you can remove TRE, etc with the flashtune. PCV will not do this.


Forgive my ignorance, but what is the natural positioning of the set-valve; closed or open? If you simply switched off the set-valve within the flashtune, would this cause the exhaust flap to remain open or closed?

_____________________________________________

2016 GSXS-1000 Red/Black - Got it!
2003 GSXR-600 - Sold
Redman is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
PhuketPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Phuket. Thailand
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the natural positioning of the set-valve; closed or open? If you simply switched off the set-valve within the flashtune, would this cause the exhaust flap to remain open or closed?
It would remain open, whether you turn it off or remove the motor the spring loaded valve would stay open
Redman likes this.

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 10-12-2016 at 03:50 AM.
PhuketPaul is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
PhuketPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Phuket. Thailand
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman View Post
Hi Guys,


Just after a little direction. I've got my bike in for a service today & have had my arm twisted on possibly getting a Power Commander V installed while it's in the shop, however I've got two companies I'm looking at to do the job, who are down the road from each other, and they are both saying they've installed PCV's on GSXS' previously (I know for sure at least one of them has & the other is a Suzuki dealer themselves so..), however both are outlining different things to do whilst installing it. Just after some clarification whether they're full of s*^t or not . By the way, my main aim by installing the PCV is to remove/reduce the throttle snatch (if/where possible) and improve the throttle control at slow speeds, not unlike other issues heard before. The comments from both are as follows;


First installer (Suzuki dealer) recommends installing the PCV with the standard map from Dynojet as the stock exhaust is still fitted and that any gains or benefit from custom mapping would be negligible because they can't properly install a sniffer into the standard exhaust, meaning they won't get proper dyno results. They said that until I fit an a complete aftermarket exhaust, they wouldn't run on a dyno and that the standard map would be an improvement. They also recommend at the same time removing the set-valve altogether and installing a Healtech exhaust servo eliminator.


The second installer operates a dyno & is an actual Dynojet distributor. They have recommended installing the PCV & custom mapping on their dyno to achieve best results. They also mentioned about having to block off the pair valve also. They wouldn't need to remove the set valve they believe.


Although I'm waiting on the Suzuki dealer to give me an accurate quote, from what he was talking the pricing between the two won't be overly different. I'm just looking for any advice anyone can give me for what these guys have told me & also if there's anything additional I should do when installing the PCV.


Cheers!

With my limited knowledge and experience, i feel that they are both partly correct and partly wrong.

Using an AFR sniffer at the tailpipe after the catalytic converter has compromises - firstly the AFR reading will be consistently out (but this can usually be corrected for), the larger problem is that the cat smooths out and delays changes in AFR and as our bikes are pretty quick and accelerate quick this will cause problems trying to measure the AFR on an acceleration run. So they are correct in saying it is better to change exhaust before using the dyno - as for the set valve - makes no difference to the dyno run - up to you if you wish to keep it.

PAIR valve, this introduces fresh air into the exhaust to clean up the emissions but only on the overrun, and as we have a fuel cut on overrun there is no point in monitoring the AFR on the overrun
Redman likes this.

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 10-12-2016 at 03:50 AM.
PhuketPaul is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Redman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
With my limited knowledge and experience, i feel that they are both partly correct and partly wrong.

Using an AFR sniffer at the tailpipe after the catalytic converter has compromises - firstly the AFT reading will be consistently out (but this can usually be corrected for), the larger problem is that the cat smooths out and delays changes in AFR and as our bikes are pretty quick and accelerate quick this will cause problems trying to measure the AFR on an acceleration run. So they are correct in saying it is better to change exhaust before using the dyno - as for the set valve - makes no difference to the dyno run - up to you if you wish to keep it.

PAIR valve, this introduces fresh air into the exhaust to clean up the emissions but only on the overrun, and as we have a fuel cut on overrun there is no point in monitoring the AFR on the overrun


Thanks PhuketPaul, that's confirmed my suspicions & given me a better understanding of what the PAIR valve actually does. So I'm assuming in blocking it off is not really going to achieve much in the scheme of things then?


As for the AFR, I'm assuming they can take into consideration the AFT reading being it's consistently out also, so tuning while on the dyno could be done even with the standard exhaust fitted. (I may just be repeating you here haha).


I know the Set-valve doesn't really matter at this stage, so I can either remove it or leave it. I'm pretty much leaning towards the custom dyno tune now I think.




_____________________________________________

2016 GSXS-1000 Red/Black - Got it!
2003 GSXR-600 - Sold
Redman is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
nicka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
If you can afford the custom dyno then that is by far the better option.
This should smooth out the constant speed and maybe give done more acceleration and Hp but you may still have the snatchy throttle


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redman likes this.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
nicka is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 04:20 AM
Member
 
Hutch2064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I fitted the PCV myself, it was pretty straight forward, and did improve throttle, I then took it and had it run on a dyno, they found that the stock tune on PCV was still lean between 1000 and 4000 revs, he adjusted it and now throttle is spot on.
Redman likes this.
Hutch2064 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Redman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, here's the update from dropping the bike off this morning at 8.30am.

After not hearing back from the Suzuki dealer to let me know the price for the PCV, or even just to let me know the service had been completed and that the bike was ready, at around 3.30pm I decided to ring & find out how the girl was going.
Suzuki Dealer: "Yeah, was just about to ring you to let you know the service had been done & your bike is ready"
Me: "OK great, and how did you go with that price for the PCV?"
Suzuki Dealer: "Oh yeah, we installed the PCV, removed your set-valve, adjusted the TPS & throttle bodies as they were out. The bike's running like a dream now!"
Me: "What...."
Suzuki Dealer: "Oh sorry, that wasn't what you wanted?"
Me: " "

Well, guess my decision was made for me. I guess I'll be giving the standard map a go first. Failing that I can always get it dyno'd down the track if needed.

_____________________________________________

2016 GSXS-1000 Red/Black - Got it!
2003 GSXR-600 - Sold
Redman is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dumfries S.W Scotland
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
I have installed pcv and the o2 bypass disabled the set valve adjusted tps and the bike was alot better. However I then got a cutom map done and it improved even more.
I downloaded mr boosts map and it was much better at the bottom end than mu custom map so went back to the dyno and amalgametd my better top end map and mr boosts bottom end map and I am very happy with the results. Mr boosts top mid range is slightly different as is the top end but he is in nevada and im in the Uk so the climates are different to say the least.
You could download mr boosts map and run the two side by side with a switch in your power commander and see what you think then get your dyno guy to tweek a s required.
Just my tuppence but it worked for me
Redman likes this.

Certain people are like slinky's, no apparent use but always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs
landy10 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome