LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-13-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buyer's advice needed!

Hi all

I'm about to do a deal on a black/red 1000F and the problem I have is that I'm unable to bag a test ride as the dealer has one new one (pre-reg) in stock. I've ridden every competitor to this bike from the MT-10, the Z1000, the Z1000SX and the CB1000R - the Suzuki is the one I like the look of best. I found the Kawasaki to be vibey in the upper rev range - is the Suzuki smooth? Any advice much appreciated.
Jim
post #2 of 30 Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
It is a very smooth motor but there is a bit of vibration around +6000rpm that gets a lot better as the miles build up.

I don't notice it now with almost 15000 miles on the clock - too busy hanging on anyway at those revs.
kernowjim likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
The bar end weights take a lot of vibration out of the bars. I recently switched to light weight bar end mirrors and the vibes coming through are uncomfortable. I'm looking to add some weight back on or change to a better system. Riding the bike stock i rarely noticed much vibration.

Getting up it for the rent

post #4 of 30 Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in the same boat. I can't decide between the CB1000R and GSX-S1000. I've ridden the CB but no one will let me ride a GSXS. The only issue I'm worried about is how snatchy the throttle actually is. The CB was a wonderful bike and if it had another 20-30hp I'd get it without question. Hard to make up my mind if I can't ride the GSXS.

To me the CB1000R is the safe choice. Reliable, slower, spark plug intervals are crazy long (32,000 miles), runs on 87 octane, but it's just a bland bike. It does everything well, but it doesn't do anything great.

The GSXS on the other hand is a powerhouse. It has a 3 mode traction control standard, ABS optional, spark plug intervals are only 7,500 miles but they're cheap plugs. Runs on premium gas and gets much better mileage than the CB.

To me it's a hard decision to make. I'm lucky I have all winter because come spring I probably still will not have made up my mind.
Jaked and kernowjim like this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F

Last edited by ChicagoAJ; 10-13-2016 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Kernowjim, I chose the Gixis based on its bomb-proof motor and wonderful handling. With 3700 miles the motor is very smooth unless you're holding speeds well into triple digits (e.g., 120 mph on up). It also gets killer mileage so the range is over 200 miles! But that's me. If you want ground superiority in a naked, look at the new Aprilia Tuono with the class leading electronics, or the Bmer S1000R (too long reach to bars and service costs?), or the Super Duke R with animalistic torque. But as you know these cost more. The only tangible item with the Brand Xs is if cruise control is a deal breaker. I found a $12.00 wrist rest works pretty good for droning the interstate (but again that's me).

ChicagoAJ, Long lasting plugs, why not long lasting valve adjust interval (26,000 miles) like the Yamaha FZ10 or FZ1. But be cautious about a bike like the Honda--it might last forever but what if you become bored? Then what? The Gixis is enough of a beast that I won't easily become bored with it...and in the mean time I have a pleasant bike I can ride and enjoy. And the throttle snatch issue seems a tad bit of a non-issue (verify throttle position indicator, TPI, is adjusted properly).

Gents, good luck shopping .
Jaked likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies everyone - I should be able to get a ride on a used unfaired GSX-S today and will report back my findings. I will thoroughly check out the throttle response issue (if there is one)
post #7 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK I managed to ride a 2016 unfaired version today, 1200 miles on the clock. I really enjoyed the bike, the engine is superb and so smooth too - no discernible vibration to speak of. I noticed the twitchy throttle but it was nothing I couldn't live with. HOWEVER, immediately afterwards I rode a Yamaha MT-10 and I felt it was the next level in terms of power and as I'm tall, more comfortable for me. So in the end, I decided to go for the Yamaha MT-10. Thanks for the responses and information on the GSX-S everyone.
Jim
post #8 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Kernowjiim, The MT10 is a great bike...but a full tank can be used in just over 70 miles and 2000 miles and the rear tyre is worn out.....The gsxs is almost as much fun ( change sprockets and im betting its just as much fun) as the MT10 and cheaper. I bought a GSXS yesterday and there is no throttle snatch what so ever, I did feel the vibrations though on my right wrist. I havnt taken it much above 7K revs yet as Im still bedding the piston rings in, but it did feel like a great bike.
I had a CB1000R as a loan bike for a few weeks, its an ok bike for street riding, but start to go faster and it feels restricted as though it struggles to rev, not free reving at all, but it does pull quick upto about 140+mph, wasnt sure if pain or my neck snapping was going to slow me down first from that speed, didnt try it again. bad fuel consumption to

Yam FS1E
Hon CB100
Hon CB200
Suz X7
Suz GS550E
Suz GSX750
Yam 350YPVS
Hon VFR750
Yam RD350(air)
Kaw GT550
Kaw ZZR600
Yam FZ1S
Suz Burgman 650
Hon VFR1200 DCT (Don Guhl ecu flash)
Suz GSXS1000-F-Touring Killed buy a car
Suz GSXR1000 K7

Last edited by R1KSU; 10-14-2016 at 03:41 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1KSU View Post
Kernowjiim, The MT10 is a great bike...but a full tank can be used in just over 70 miles and 2000 miles and the rear tyre is worn out.....The gsxs is almost as much fun ( change sprockets and im betting its just as much fun) as the MT10 and cheaper. I bought a GSXS yesterday and there is no throttle snatch what so ever, I did feel the vibrations though on my right wrist. I havnt taken it much above 7K revs yet as Im still bedding the piston rings in, but it did feel like a great bike.
I had a CB1000R as a loan bike for a few weeks, its an ok bike for street riding, but start to go faster and it feels restricted as though it struggles to rev, not free reving at all, but it does pull quick upto about 140+mph, wasnt sure if pain or my neck snapping was going to slow me down first from that speed, didnt try it again. bad fuel consumption to
That doesn't make sense... It feels restricted but then it pulls to 140mph quick, haha. The top speed on the CB and GSXS is only about 150-155mph. I'd likely only do that a handful of times ever so if the difference between the CB and GSX is the difference between getting to 140mph and 155mph I'll go with the CB all day.

The CB also runs on the 87 octane so the worse mileage is offset at the pump. They both get around high 30's to low 40's when ridden hard, which I've seen in reviews.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #10 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Kernowjim, I chose the Gixis based on its bomb-proof motor and wonderful handling. With 3700 miles the motor is very smooth unless you're holding speeds well into triple digits (e.g., 120 mph on up). It also gets killer mileage so the range is over 200 miles! But that's me. If you want ground superiority in a naked, look at the new Aprilia Tuono with the class leading electronics, or the Bmer S1000R (too long reach to bars and service costs?), or the Super Duke R with animalistic torque. But as you know these cost more. The only tangible item with the Brand Xs is if cruise control is a deal breaker. I found a $12.00 wrist rest works pretty good for droning the interstate (but again that's me).

ChicagoAJ, Long lasting plugs, why not long lasting valve adjust interval (26,000 miles) like the Yamaha FZ10 or FZ1. But be cautious about a bike like the Honda--it might last forever but what if you become bored? Then what? The Gixis is enough of a beast that I won't easily become bored with it...and in the mean time I have a pleasant bike I can ride and enjoy. And the throttle snatch issue seems a tad bit of a non-issue (verify throttle position indicator, TPI, is adjusted properly).

Gents, good luck shopping .
Valves are easily checked in a few hours on a lazy afternoon. Same with plugs - but the less work I actually have to do and the less maintenance a bike requires will always win over my heart. I wouldn't ever buy another Yamaha after all the problems I've had with my FZ-07 in my 8 months of ownership even if the FZ-10/FZ1 are the best bikes in the world.

I just don't think I'll ever need much more than 100whp, let alone 150whp+, I like doing 0-60 sprints much more than top speed runs. And the Honda sits right around 116rwhp, coming from 72rwhp - I think the Honda is going to be just right for me. I doubt it'll be a boring bike either, if I can have fun on a CBR250R - I'm pretty sure I'll be able to have a blast on something 5 times as powerful and just as easy to ride.

When it comes down to it higher horsepower rarely nets a noticeable difference in the quarter mile. The CB1000R was reported to run a 10.99 and the GSXS was 10.70. I'm not a track day nut or highway bomber either. So I just don't understand why people want that much power for the streets.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F

Last edited by ChicagoAJ; 10-14-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page