• 1 Post By flashpixx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
After market exhaust legality in Australia

I submitted across this article while trying to look up how legal/illegal aftermarket exhausts are in Australia. In the end when trying to read the laws it refers to the exhaust system as the silencing system and didn't seem to mention catalytic converters but they seemed to be implied as part of the silencing system. So depending on which way I read it either everything exhaust related was illegal or free reign if it's not too loud.

I'm still none the wiser but at least this article has a barrister weighing in on the issue. Spoiler alert he argues you can do what you want with your exhaust.

http://motorbikewriter.com/aftermark...gal-barrister/
post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In the USA they say it's illegal to tamper/remove any emissions equipment.
Unless people write their local officials and support aftermarket companies pretty soon anything that does do the above will be shutdown at the source.
This is something to share with anyone into cars/bikes/etc.. they're doing good work! SEMA Action Network (SAN)

Jason M. - Phoenix, AZ
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Akrapovic is the only rear muffler that i have seen with an Australian approval certificate.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
That is interesting! Sucks that they are generally the most expensive exhaust option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR BOOST View Post
Akrapovic is the only rear muffler that i have seen with an Australian approval certificate.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
Unless you have to take your bike for inspection, get whatever you want and don't even think about it. In the state I live in we're "not allowed" to do anything to the exhaust to make it louder. But we don't have a yearly inspection or have to take the bike to emissions testing (ever). And since you can get bikes from the dealer with a full system installed if you wish, they police can't argue that whatever we do to our bikes isn't stock.

So in my state, we do whatever to our exhaust and there's nothing that be done even though we're "breaking the law."

However, for cars in my state - we need to bring them in for testing every couple years after the first 4 years when bought new. If you tamper with the exhaust without getting everything sorted before emission testing, you'll fail. Still ways around that though with ECU flashes and bypasses to turn check engine lights out for missing 02 sensors.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2016, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoAJ View Post
Unless you have to take your bike for inspection, get whatever you want and don't even think about it. In the state I live in we're "not allowed" to do anything to the exhaust to make it louder. But we don't have a yearly inspection or have to take the bike to emissions testing (ever). And since you can get bikes from the dealer with a full system installed if you wish, they police can't argue that whatever we do to our bikes isn't stock.

So in my state, we do whatever to our exhaust and there's nothing that be done even though we're "breaking the law."

However, for cars in my state - we need to bring them in for testing every couple years after the first 4 years when bought new. If you tamper with the exhaust without getting everything sorted before emission testing, you'll fail. Still ways around that though with ECU flashes and bypasses to turn check engine lights out for missing 02 sensors.

Guy's,
I had the experience probably 15 years ago now, here in Queensland State, of a Police and Machinery blitz on a very popular biking road one Saturday morning, where the Police checked your licence details and registration, Alco test, then you were made to wait while Machinery Inspectors went over your bike with a fine tooth comb.

Then they did a DB Sound Level Meter test using these wooden set squares so the sound meter was in the right place at the exhaust as per Australian Standard AS83/00 (I think). Basically, set at 90 Deg sideways to the line of the exhaust's body outlet tip and then 1 metre upwards at 45 deg angle.

They read the compliant noise plate, rev the motor to say it's noted as 5000 RPM, and if you fail, it a defect notice and then you have to present it again in 2 weeks at their Test Centre for a re test, and you are not permitted to ride it away.

The joke was on them that day as my bike was so brand new, I had only ridden 15 Km there from the Dealership, but they still insisted on measuring the tyre tread depth with all the rubber tyre tit*s porcupining across the tyre surfaces.

The noise man said my Honda CB1300 was too quiet as it was 5 db under the State limit of 96 DB. He said (seriously),
"Were here to 4 PM, so come back with a hammer and a large screw driver and punch some holes in it till it gets up there and we'll retest it for you as you go about it".

Never saw them again that day or since.

Rob.
GSXSdrew likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
The noise man said my Honda CB1300 was too quiet as it was 5 db under the State limit of 96 DB. He said (seriously),
"Were here to 4 PM, so come back with a hammer and a large screw driver and punch some holes in it till it gets up there and we'll retest it for you as you go about it".
Rob.
That would have been a site to see them officially making your bike louder.

Here in California it's like AJ said. It's all illegal, but if a cop stops you they'll write you up, then you'll have to go to the station and prove your bike is fixed, then to court to show it's been fixed. Or you pay the fine.

Like the motorcycle community, the cops stance on loud pipes save lives is mixed. Generally if they pull you over for loud pipes, it because you were driving like a wildling.
ChicagoAJ likes this.

Previous
=========
1974 Vespa 150
1997 Ducati 900 CR
2010 Sportster Iron 883
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXSdrew View Post
That would have been a site to see them officially making your bike louder.

Here in California it's like AJ said. It's all illegal, but if a cop stops you they'll write you up, then you'll have to go to the station and prove your bike is fixed, then to court to show it's been fixed. Or you pay the fine.

Like the motorcycle community, the cops stance on loud pipes save lives is mixed. Generally if they pull you over for loud pipes, it because you were driving like a wildling.
"Oh crap. We punched too many holes in your new bike's exhaust. Here's a ticket saying your bike is now too loud. Please get the problem fixed before showing up to court."

I would've offered to put a few holes in that guy's head had he suggested that to me on a brand new bike.
GSXSdrew likes this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
here in Perth plod generally leaves you alone unless it is obnoxious. Then it is primarily Harleys with straight thru pipes. The had a thing up their bums about tail tidies a cple of years ago...

General principle is don't ride like a dick so as to bring attention to yourself...
GSXSdrew likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page