User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Time for a Tire Post :) Metz 01

Hi All! Yes its true! I just got a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01. Got the OEM sizes front and rear (190/50). On initial ride it seemed the bike is geared longer. So, l tried to verify the tire specs from manufacturer--all responded except Metzeler. The D214 is a bit of a odd ball. The height numbers from Dunlop Rep were 24.56 inches (D214) vs. 25.03 inches (Q3, which is what the Rep said is their recommended replacement) or 24.72 inches (Road Smart 2) (side note, a Road Smart 3 is being released next year). Anyway, the bike has a very nice stability at lean and doesn't have the "power steering" turn in characteristic I disliked about Michelin Pilot Powers. Haven't had a chance to hit the twisties yet, and its too early to see if they get the mileage I hear guys getting from the Michelin Pilot Powers or Pilot Roads. And they look way cool .

Last edited by rickster; 12-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM
luc

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
the factory rear tire only lasted me 1800 miles. Replace by Avon AV66 (storm 3d) I either use the Avon or the PR2 on the rear and BT 30 in front on all my bikes. I usually get 4/5 K mikes on the rear and 6/7k miles for the front
post #3 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Got the 01's on mine too, albeit the 55 profile as the 55 profile PR4's I had on previously really improved turn-in. Too early to tell whether they are any better than the PR4 as I was really pleased with them too. However, a brisk ride in decent rain earlier this week showed the 01's to be totally sure-footed. The overall "feel" is very similar to the PR4 and I'm looking forward to comparing tyre life. 3700 km from the rear OEM D214, 12500 km from the rear PR4.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
luc, Wow, I was at 4000 miles and still not at wear bars. Sounds like riding like a wuss, but was actually increasing my wpg (that's wheelies per gallon ). Rode with a friend that got around 12-13,000 miles on set of Avon Storms on a '98 R1200Rs bmer. I told him I probably would not be able to do that.

Kiwi, I saw the postings on using the 55 profile. I had a poor experience in the past changing aspect size so decided to stick with OEM dimension. Glad to hear they work in the wet. Even though we don't get much rain here in the desert, when it does the first few minutes can be scary (cleaning out road grime, oil, fluids, etc). Motorcycle Consumer News complained in a bmer r1200rt road test about the Michelin PR4s as feeling "squirmy." Any truth to that? I'm also told that the roads you ride on are made from, or have a high percentage of , volcanic rock which tends to accelerate tire life? Even so, the PR4 looks to be impressively durable, if you like the handling.

Last edited by rickster; 12-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
luc, Wow, I was at 4000 miles and still not at wear bars. Sounds like riding like a wuss, but was actually increasing my wpg (that's wheelies per gallon ). Rode with a friend that got around 12-13,000 miles on rear of a '98 R1200Rs bmer. I told him I probably would not be able to do that.
Kiwi, I saw the postings on using the 55 profile. I had a poor experience in the past doing changes aspect size so decided to stick with OEM dimension. Glad to hear they work in the wet. Even we don't get much rain here in the desert, but when it does the first few minutes can be scary (cleaning out road grime, oil, fluids, etc). Motorcycle Consumer News complained about the Michelin PR4 as feeling "squirmy". Would you agree? I'm also told that the roads you ride on are made from, or have a high percentage of , volcanic rock which tends to accelerate tire life? Even so, the PR4 looks to be impressively durable, if you like the handling.
Tyre life has so many variables - road surface, road temperature, suspension quality, weight of rider etc that it's hard to do accurate comparisons. The south island of NZ uses a lot of volcanic basalt rock chip which is pretty durable and provides good mechanical grip in the winter weather down there. Harder on tyres though. In the north island where I live and rarely get frosts, not so much basalt is used.

I've used both PR3's and 4's on my bikes over quite some time and although I rate them highly as a good all-round tyre, I understand your comments. "Squirmy" conjours up all sorts of unpleasant visions but in reality, it's not really like that. On the PR3's, the front end only felt slightly vague under certain conditions, particularly when it was loaded up under deceleration and changing line at the same time. It's likely to have been due to the sipes being quite close together, allowing a bit of movement in the tread blocks. The PR4 has wider sipe spacings and correspondingly less "squirm", but it was still just about noticeable under those conditions. It wasn't alarming in any way and I'd happily continue to use them. I haven't noticed it with the 01's at all and the front tread pattern doesn't appear to allow much movement. As long as I can get around 10000 km, I'll be perfectly happy.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 09:49 PM
luc

I ride a lot, about 30K miles/year, mostly twisty roads,and a tire with grip and longevity is a must. not much rain in california. PR3 do not have a good reputation ( compared to the 2 and 4) and I don't like the "4" too much of a vague feeling so my decision to use either a PR2 or Avon
As for the front, I'm happy with the Bt30 and they are very affordable.
You don't have to run the same brand on both wheels
post #7 of 10 Old 12-17-2016, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
You don't have to run the same brand on both wheels
I'm sure that the manufactures of matched sets would like to discuss that with you .
post #8 of 10 Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 AM
luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
I'm sure that the manufactures of matched sets would like to discuss that with you .
I'm sure too. Lol, It's not good for them.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
The only time I would run the same tires would be in the rain. Usually the front tire's tread pattern is designed to slice through the water and set it up nicely for the rear tire. But that's probably debatable.

On topic: I'm still deciding between the PR2 and PR4 for my next set. The price difference between the two is only about $30 bucks for the set from a couple different sites. I don't really care for the tread pattern on the PR4s but they're supposed to be amazing so I'll probably get them.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I think I have hit on a good combo for my riding style. I tend to do spirited rides on backroads and country highways. And very, very seldom in the rain and no track days. I have had a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on the front (approx 1000 miles) and a Pirelli Angel GT (for approx 2600 miles) on the rear. Hey, at least they are from the same manufacturer, although the Angel was made in Germany and to Rosso II in (gasp!) China. I really like the way the bike feels.

I had no real beef with the stock Dunlops, except that the rear did not last very long. The Rosso II is a bit of a sport tire that offers really good grip and wears reasonably well on the front. The Angel GT is a sport touring tire that seems to have good grip and excellent wear. I am thinking it should go at least 6,000 miles on the rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page