25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Almost time for a new ride

Hello everyone, been on this forum for some time now and have waited diligently to get a new bike. I stated that I was going to wait until the end of June to get my bike on my birthday, well i might decide to get it sooner. I was able to save up $1,500.00 as a down payment on the bike. Over the years i contemplated different models, Aprilia Tuono, Kawasaki Z1000 etc. Now i narrowed it down to two, I've always liked Triumph Speed Triples, even considered one before the GSX-S1000 came out, now the Suzi is in the mix for my next ride.

So, my choices are 1. Get a brand new GSX-S1000(rd&blk naked) for $10,000 OTD or 2. Get a used 2014 Speed Triple R with 4,000 miles at $9,500 OTD. I know since this is a GSXS forum i'm going to get a lot of feedback advocating for the Suzi, just would like to get some honest feedback on these models. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this matter and look forward to hear your thoughts and the pros and cons of each bike. Thanks again everyone and ride safe out there
post #2 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Triumph (Sprint) and LOVED the triple. However, I thought the Triumph was really top heavy and too edgy to maneuver in parking lots. It was an older model and it wasn't that comfortable, so I sold it. Honestly the GSX-S is everything I wanted that bike to be.

I see more Triumphs on the road than I do GSX-S (and I'm in Cali too). Not that it really matters...

Pros and Cons - really just get what you like better. They're both good bikes. If I had the choice (and it looks like I might) I would buy the GSX-S again in a heartbeat. It does EVERYthing well - it's fast and fun, but easy to commute on and you can ride it all day. There's even luggage available for it - I've taken mine down to San Diego a few times on weekend trips, and will hopefully be taking one up for a long weekend in Yosemite.

The Triumph Triple has a really user friendly power band, but Suzuki did a **** good job with this engine and it's really usable also. It's got plenty of torque down low, but also loads of power up high.

I looked at quite a few bikes before I bought the GSX-S and I just found that it fit me the best, and I loved how light it felt due to the balancing.

You were right - this sounds pretty biased! What can I say, Suzuki nailed it with this one.
Rhyno54 likes this.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 03-30-2017 at 02:50 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback Joe, i guess as a future buyer we tend to weigh pros and cons of any big purchase. We all want to make a sound decision when it comes to buying a motorcycle. My main concern is reliability above all else, i know these two brands are pretty reliable from the info i've gathered. I wish i could test ride these bike back-to-back then i could make a more sound choice, but one is down in socal and the other is at my local dealership so...I wish i could get both but i can't, gotta pick one.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
If reliability is a main thought, you cant beat the suzuki, or Japanese brands. I know Triumph is pretty good, or even very good, but never a match for a brand new Suzuki, with warranty.
Rhyno54 and DenverYZF like this.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I was in a similar boat when I was looking at bikes this past December. I went with the Suzuki because it offered the best value. I ended up with a naked ABS version. It isn't a sexy bike from the front, but it's not nearly as hideous as the faired version. The rest of the bike looks amazing and the front has slowly grown on me as I just learn to accept its Japanesey looks. I think they were going for a spider theme or something. I'll try to write as complete of an opinion piece as I can as that was what I was really looking for when I was shopping around and couldn't really find it.

For me it actually came down to the Yamaha FZ-10 and the Suzuki. The best deal I could negotiate on the Yamaha was about $12k I think, which was $3500 more than what I paid for the Suzuki. I think the Yamaha is a slightly better bike in terms of the motor (just for that crossplane sound, it's just amazing), but it gets shitty MPG and the bike itself wasn't nearly as comfortable as the Suzuki. I did like the cruise control and factory 12V outlet on the Yamaha though. Still not a sexy bike though and the fake air scoops on the Yamaha frankly piss me off a bit. But that's neither here nor there... the Triple is an amazing bike too, though I'm not huge on its angles either but I probably prefer it a tiny bit over the naked Suzuki and the Yamaha.

With the Suzuki you get a solid and presumably reliable platform. It is more powerful than the Street Triple R and gets a bit better fuel economy as well. It's an inline 4 though versus the 3 cylinder so the riding characteristics may be a deciding factor. Look at the dyno curves of the two engines. That being said it's worth mentioning again the Street Triple R is doing about 95-100 HP to the rear wheel where the Suzuki is at 140 or so. At 5000 RPM the Suzuki is making 60 HP where the Street Triple R isn't even at 40 yet.

I also think the Street Triple underwent a significant improvement very recently (2016?) so that would also turn me off a bit from buying the older model.

Well rather than me rambling I'll just share my likes and dislikes so far about the bike:

-Very comfortable bike stock. The Renthal bars are great. Most people would still get an aftermarket seat for long days but I find the stock seat pretty good and the seating position perfect (6' even, 180 lbs). I do find I slide forward in the seat a bit though, especially if I'm wearing jeans instead of leathers, so that can be kind of annoying. Even so when I'm on the bike everything feels very solid and well put together. It's such a huge difference when I kick a leg over my GSX-S1000 after a little jaunt in my little metric cruiser ('06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750). In comparison to how solid the GSX-S feels, the Kawi feels almost like it's ready to come apart. Just surreal.

-Nicely positioned seat height, gives good confidence and the bike is resultingly easily flat-footable. I think even the shorter guys have no problems flat footing this bike.

-Snowflake status. This usually goes with just about any naked bike though (in the US at least).

-Very solid engine. Has the fun inline 4 power hit at about 8-10K RPM while maintaining very good low end. Good reliability can be expected from the K5 heritage.

-Smooth transmission. I do wish for a 7th or even 8th gear sometimes though for low RPM highway cruising. Upside is even at 6th on the highway she has a good amount of pull even with 70-80 MPH roll-ons (IIRC it runs about 5k RPM @ 6th gear around 70 MPH). Actually the bike pulls great in any gear. Has a back-torque limiting clutch which is great. Clutch also has a perfect weight to it for me. Supposedly the new model will get a full slipper clutch but I think it would be a marginal improvement at best. Very happy with the clutch & transmission.

-Very good handling. Great mechanical grip. The faired version, hideous as it may be (no offense to the guys with the F, I know you have your reasons), has a purportedly more planted front end going round corners than the naked bike. Food for thought. Haven't had any confidence issues with my naked though since I got the fueling issue fixed (will mention later). Maybe I'll just fasten a 15lb weight between the forks and see how that goes haha.

-Bike has a pretty good stock exhaust. Looks decent and it's pretty loud, I think it was measured a little over 100 dB. If you drop it into 3rd on the highway people will definitely hear you coming. It seems adding an aftermarket exhaust will only net you about a 2-3% power gain at best throughout the range so I think that's a big plus overall, since for me it rules out buying an exhaust. Exhaust systems are pricey. As far as the exhaust note it produces it's cool enough. I much prefer the V4 Tuono sound and I prefer the sound from the crossplane FZ-10 even more. But as far as your regular inline 4s go I think it sounds better than all the rest honestly, even the BMW S1000RR. It's just very typically crotch-rockety, of the literbike variety.

-Good quality brakes and front suspension. The pads give it a wooden feel though, replacing them with better units supposedly gives a bunch more feel and bite. Still stops good. Love the Brembos up front.

-ABS and a decent traction control system. The ABS works great, though I wish it had cornering ABS as well. Hasn't saved me yet and hopefully I'll never have to rely on it, but I am very glad to know that it's there and wouldn't buy a new bike without it. The traction control is not as sophisticated as in the ultra-premium Euro bikes but it's all you need.

-Low weight, fancy aluminum twin spar frame developed specifically for this bike and aluminum swing arm, cast aluminum wheels. None of that is cheap.

-Great fuel economy for this type of power. Most of its competitors seem to get a great deal lower.

-Love the single push button start without dealing with a clutch.

-Hardly any buzz. This is great for an inline 4.

-The instrument display is pretty good without being too busy. Has good brightness settings as well. Kind of wish we had TPMS though. One thing I really don't like though is that I have to take my eyes well off the road to get a good look at it. I think this is just a result of the naked bike seating position and not a problem with the display itself. If you are shorter that would probably help things out in this regard. Again I'm 6' almost exactly (like 5' 11.95")

Dislikes:

-Really shitty rear shock. It can be tamed a bit by setting up the bike for your weight, but even after jacking with all the settings she still hits my ass real hard over bumps. If I'm wearing a backpack or something it will sometimes hit me in the back of the head. Cheaply replaced though apparently. Will do it someday soon.

-Throttle response - initially I didn't see it as a problem but the bike really did want to take off on you at the slightest twist. This made holding constant speed, low speed maneuvers, and other things sketchy sometimes. For me, installing a PCV transformed the bike for me and did away with all that to the extent I feel it's an absolute must for this bike.

-Stock mirrors are horrible. Seems a common thing if you aren't an Asian with narrow shoulders. I am chicken-winging a lot and am desperate to replace them soon with some bar-end types.

-Wooden feel to stock brakes but this is reportedly fixed with changing out the pads. Bike still stops well though.

-Aftermarket farkles aren't that extensive. There is some decent aftermarket stuff, at least from China. I got a lot of billet Aluminum farkles such as sliders for my stator, swing arm rollers, front fork sliders, etc. Wish there was a hard luggage option though, and I also would like a center stand. Supposedly there is some German manuf. that makes both but not too sure about it at the moment.

[edit]
Last dislike I just thought of:

-The fucking key and tumbler itself can be annoying to deal with. I haven't had any issues with it lately but for the first few months that tumbler did not want to give up the key sometimes and I really had to jack with it to get it out. I recall someone else having this issue who put like 20k miles on the bike and ended up having to replace the tumbler (from a YouTube video). For the past month though everything has been gravy so I guess it might have just been a break-in issue? Who knows.
[/edit]

That's about it for dislikes honestly. I sat there for a while trying to think of more things I disliked about the bike and only ended up coming up with more positives. And that's my complete honest opinion on the bike after buying it in December and putting about 1500 miles on it so far. The most important thing is fixing the bike's fueling, whatever method you choose.

Either way though if you've never had a bike of this caliber before you are in for a lot of fun. I used to kind of cringe when people would describe a bike "wanting them to ride it faster" or something to that effect but that's really how this thing works. It's hard to not ride the **** thing without breaking the law all the time. It also looks well enough like a crotch rocket that you definitely become a target for cops. I used to never get tickets or have any real dealings with the po-po but it didn't take me long to get my first ticket on this bike and I was just commuting (86 in a 65). I do that all the time in my cruiser and never had a problem, so cops will definitely treat you different, at least in my experience. Then again I was being a retard out in the backroads one night and some country cops stopped me and let me go without incident (though they did say "that is one weird looking bike you have there", haha). Either way, through your own actions or otherwise, expect to attract more LEO attention on a bike such as this. Just thought it was worth adding.

I ended up paying $8500 for mine plus another $400 ish for tax and registration. I think $9000 is a very fair price for all this bike gives you. It's really an impressive value. It sucks that you can't get one any cheaper than 10k in CA. Might be worth looking out of state. Even at 10k though it's well worth it. If I were buying new though I might be tempted to wait to see what all they improve for the 2018. Progressive seems to offer the cheapest bike insurance in the US so make sure you compare quotes with them at least. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Rhyno54, tonyt, Beaker and 4 others like this.

Last edited by chuck; 03-30-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
If reliability is a main thought, you cant beat the suzuki, or Japanese brands. I know Triumph is pretty good, or even very good, but never a match for a brand new Suzuki, with warranty.
+1 ...rcannon is right on.
Rhyno54 and sd07biker like this.

2016 GSX-S1000 ABS Red & Black

Past Bikes:
FZ-1
GSX-R 1000
R-6 (Track Only)
YZF-600R
NightHawk 550
NightHawk 750
V-45 Sabre
Katana 600
XS-650
post #7 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Almost time for a new ride

I thought the fit and finish on the Yamaha FZ 10 was crappy especially for that price level.... I just felt like plastic garbage to me.... The engine on the FZ 10 is nowhere near is smooth and satisfying as on the Suzuki..... if you never rode the Suzuki you might like it but if you ride them back to back you would instantly see why the GSX is better engine wise...

Adding a 12 V is only a few dollars should not be a factor.

I do envy the cruise control though...... but since I would only use Cruise a small fraction of the time I am on the bike that was not a big deal either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dqban; 03-30-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From now on I'll only buy new
I have a 2011 s1000rr and it's cost me a fortune over the last 18 months
I've had gsxr''s up to that for 20 years and they've been so reliable
Definitely buy new with warranty for peace of mind
Rhyno54 likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How long did it take you guys to get used to the power of this bike? I've read other post that mention that this bike could be too much even as a second bike.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
when it comes to suspension upgrades what is your thought on Hyperpro compared to Racetech i've seen that these two are pretty close as far as price is concerned. Ohlins seems to be pretty pricey and out of my budget. If i decided to go with the suzuki eventually that would be something i would want to get done at some time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page