User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Traction Control setting 3 for improved tire life?

I have noticed my rear tire getting squared off a bit at 2,000 miles. I also notice that traction control triggers a LOT in setting 3 riding even moderately aggressive. So does that mean our back tire is spinning up a lot more than we feel, and do you think we would see longer tire life keeping in mode 3 most of the time?
post #2 of 11 Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage
I think you would definitely see longer tire life in mode 3 because you are not "burning rubber". As to the "squared off" part, I imagine terrain and riding style have a bigger effect, because the TC will probably do it's tricks in the turns too (but I'm not sure).
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
In TC3 the tyre doesn't actually ever spin from what I've felt...seems the system predicts thats the throttle revs and road speed are right to possibly spin so it intervenes before anything actually happens.
Squared off is just the case of wrong tyre type for the roads...ie not enough twisties for a sport tyre.
Only way to get better mileage is roll the throttle gentle so as to not heavily load the back tyre and avoid highways and open fast roads.
I killed my OEM rear in 1800miles.... 1300 now on a sports touring tyre and still looks new and give better grip and feel.
Also the rear shock is awful at maintaining tyre contact with the road so as a result the tyre is constantly skipping along the road surface and basically being scuffed.

Last edited by genman; 07-06-2017 at 02:19 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
im in mostly 3 little over 4000 miles should be able to finish this season probably another 4000 miles,,,,and yes im squared off i do only highway...i never owned a bike that didnt square off a bit,,,this is widest and softest tire i have had so square mark is pretty wide...for not doing twisties chicken strips are very thin almost none......thats on stock tire........im sure a higher mileage tire may not sqare off till 6 to 8000 miles or more....i only seen light flicker on a cold 35 deg night when i brought it to red line in 1st to see what it had...i hit 140 atleast a few times a day and tire feels good to me
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Your right hand will provide similar results. TC3 is very intrusive, and will intervene at the slightest wheel spin. That act does prolong tire life, but the majority of tire wear isn't coming from spinning up the tire (unless you do a lot of burnouts). When you give it a good amount of throttle in TC2, the traction control may not intervene and you may not be spinning the tire. However, you're loading the tire more and that is going to wear out tires faster. A lighter throttle input is going to play a bigger part in tire life than the traction control settings.
Beaker and LEAVEITSTOCK like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
no and no, HEAT is what wears out your tyre, tyre pressure , type of road surface you ride on , day time temp and actual surface temperature plus load you carry and length of time you ride , all these are factors in generating heat in your tyres .
If the surface is slippery T3 helps keep grip , if not slippery it is flicking on to reduce the effect of the power you are putting out via throttle to prevent spin. Unless you are really heavy with right wrist,and i mean smashing that throttle all day, T3 isn't going to do much to reduce tyre wear. Go on a diet , don't carry a pillion, never go more than 10klm ,never ride on a hot day, never go over 60klm, on a ride and your tyres will probably last longer than Donald Trump in bed with his hand on it. One track i ride at burns out a good sport rear in 900 to 1000 klms . The other track i ride at the surface is so different i could probably get 5000k out of a rear tyre. Squared off and low mileage and moderate riding my guess is that tyre is WAY over inflated.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 175...actually i liked being a few pounds heavier haha. Hard for me to gain weight actually. I do have a heavy hand. I must admit that I only use my bike for fun (no commuting) and I am usually ripping around the back country roads around here, which are rough roads, not even properly paved, they just have a truck go down the road and squirt tar all over the place then use another truck to spread fine gravel on the road. They don't even roll it in, normal road traffic is what pushes the gravel into the road. If you make the mistake of turning onto a road that was just done that way it is like riding on marbles and a totally BS way of doing roads. My tire pressures are 40 rear 36 front. Oh, and I'm in NC so hot as **** in the summer. It was 95 today here.

Sounds like TC 3 will not make much of a difference for me.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 175...actually i liked being a few pounds heavier haha. Hard for me to gain weight actually. I do have a heavy hand. I must admit that I only use my bike for fun (no commuting) and I am usually ripping around the back country roads around here, which are rough roads, not even properly paved, they just have a truck go down the road and squirt tar all over the place then use another truck to spread fine gravel on the road. They don't even roll it in, normal road traffic is what pushes the gravel into the road. If you make the mistake of turning onto a road that was just done that way it is like riding on marbles and a totally BS way of doing roads. My tire pressures are 40 rear 36 front. Oh, and I'm in NC so hot as **** in the summer. It was 95 today here.

Sounds like TC 3 will not make much of a difference for me.
with those roads TC 3 is probably making a bigger difference then you know
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think you are wrong acceleration wears tyres out heat has no effect, traction control only steps in when the rear wheel turns quicker then front wheel and crack. That’s how it’s monitored. The drive wheel tyre on anything wears out quicker then. Non driven wheels
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Hotter tires wear more quickly. Wear occurs where there is friction. Slip increases frcition which itself increases heat. TC3 reduces slip. TC3 reduces wear.

All of this is relative. A zero slip tire life will still have wear. As the tire deforms to the road there is suface strain which adds to both wear and heat. And differential flexing inside the tire itself between inner and outter surfaces caues wear and heat. Still, slip is more wear. If you ride such that your tire never slips enough to activate TC3, then TC3 won't improve life. If you're activating TC3 all the time, then you probably have a history of really short tire life.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page