47K Review update, clutch & friction plates - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
mcm
Senior Member
 
mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties-CA.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
47K Review update, clutch & friction plates

Previously have posted my first post with my thoughts on this great commute/canyon bike.

A few days ago noticed that starting (not consistent) at about 7,500 to 8000 rpm (depending on gear/ mostly 1st,2nd, & 3rd) a bit of clutch slip with a restricted feeling of the engine (to the rear).

Have ordered the clutch pack from the dealer ( drive plates/friction, springs and gasket) but it has to be individually due to Suzuki not having the complete set in one pack yet.

Beware: on ebay they have a package for sale ($150.00) claiming that its for the gsx-x, and that is not the case since the dealers (parts) can't order something that it's not available (for now individual parts only).

The good news (for my self anyway) is that its pretty good that the OEM parts are durable. At 47k with a lot of feathering/slipping through traffic and at times on dirt and gravel, high rpm's in canyons and freeway the bike is running great (no burn outs,stunt riding, or anything of that nature). Am still riding normal at a good commute pace (obviously keeping it below 7500). until mid next week when the parts are in.The total price was (paid in advance) $325.60.

Hopefully everyone else can get many miles before clutch maintenance.

In conclusion, besides the first post (review), this one needed to be added for honest accuracy to report everything besides the other typical maintenance issues (chains, sprockets/tires/radiator coolant/oil).

Hope this information helps some one to some what gauge the type of riding and what to maybe expect.
Beaker, sangedegsx, akira and 3 others like this.
mcm is offline  
post #2 of 27 Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
mike d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.
Posts: 1,673
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
Previously have posted my first post with my thoughts on this great commute/canyon bike.

A few days ago noticed that starting (not consistent) at about 7,500 to 8000 rpm (depending on gear/ mostly 1st,2nd, & 3rd) a bit of clutch slip with a restricted feeling of the engine (to the rear).

Have ordered the clutch pack from the dealer ( drive plates/friction, springs and gasket) but it has to be individually due to Suzuki not having the complete set in one pack yet.

Beware: on ebay they have a package for sale ($150.00) claiming that its for the gsx-x, and that is not the case since the dealers (parts) can't order something that it's not available (for now individual parts only).

The good news (for my self anyway) is that its pretty good that the OEM parts are durable. At 47k with a lot of feathering/slipping through traffic and at times on dirt and gravel, high rpm's in canyons and freeway the bike is running great (no burn outs,stunt riding, or anything of that nature). Am still riding normal at a good commute pace (obviously keeping it below 7500). until mid next week when the parts are in.The total price was (paid in advance) $325.60.

Hopefully everyone else can get many miles before clutch maintenance.

In conclusion, besides the first post (review), this one needed to be added for honest accuracy to report everything besides the other typical maintenance issues (chains, sprockets/tires/radiator coolant/oil).

Hope this information helps some one to some what gauge the type of riding and what to maybe expect.
Great information Mike! Keep it coming.
mike d is online now  
post #3 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Thanks MCM
that's good knowledge to have in the old locker.
When you dissemble the old clutch I'd be interested to know if all the plates and steels are worn or if it's just a couple.
I say this because a few years ago I had a Honda where the clutch was slipping after 18K miles. On inspection I found I only had two friction plates which were worn and the steels all looked like new. So me, being a cheapskate, replaced only those two instead of the whole pack for the grand sum of about 25$ (16) and it's still running today with no further issues and another 20k on the clock.
It might be a good thing that Suzuki give you the choice of buying your plates individually.

Pull my finger
Beaker is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
mcm
Senior Member
 
mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties-CA.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes , agree that it's good to be able to get the parts separate (i believe that when we get the pack, it's a bit less).
The reason to get them all is just in case that some may have been over heated (there are areas of the daily commute that I take a break, and have a little fun. Hard to resist going up to 11rpm in some safe areas away from others, after all i still have a lot of youth left in me), plus knowing that steel has fatigue factors that are not noticeable to the human eye.
Will post some pics (to add to the review), but first need to learn how to do so (don't like 3rd party stuff), eventually will ask for some help from the administrator if i can't figure it out.
If this entire time kept the rpm's below 7000 (except for the break in period), due believe that probably would have lasted a lot longer (could be wrong).
This is another reason that to me this bike is so under rated. It is very multi task, even with the rear 45L case it handles like it's not even there (can take the hands of the bars at any speed, and it stays smooth without any fear of wobbles)

Am curious, which Honda did you have that at 18k you replaced the plates ( it amazes me looking back of how reliable the old carburetors Honda's lasted)?
mcm is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Is it high rpms that cause clutch wear? I figured was from hard launches and riding the clutch a lot. A friend of mine burnt out his clutch after going to the drag strip and doing about 12 runs haha.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only


2017 R6-Blue/Black
TheDude is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
ChicagoAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Is it high rpms that cause clutch wear? I figured was from hard launches and riding the clutch a lot. A friend of mine burnt out his clutch after going to the drag strip and doing about 12 runs haha.
That's surprising. It's pretty hard to burn up a wet clutch even riding it a lot. Unless he was slipping it the entire quarter mile those 12 times it must've been put through **** before that too...

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
ChicagoAJ is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Yeah he has a 2015 fz09. He had about 25k miles on it when he went there. Also it was only an 1/8th lol. When it took the clutch apart he also noticed the clutch basket was cracked. Apparently something common to those bikes, idk tho.
ChicagoAJ likes this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only


2017 R6-Blue/Black
TheDude is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
mcm
Senior Member
 
mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties-CA.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not just high rpm's as you stated a combination of different actions, and how high rpm's are used.
It has been hot (heat wave they call it), and coming home from L.A. at times the route takes through some areas that have been 106 f or so. Just today after about 15 minutes in to the ride back, the speed came down while the rpm's stayed the same as the oil gets thinner with the heat it will affect the worn plates (makes since to me).
Weaving through traffic at 5,10,20 mph, while changing lanes (sides) to split due to cars not leaving any room (some on purpose) or large delivery trucks, or buses, etc. Have to feather, am not going to neutral and move the bike like the flingstones and get stuck between 2 bumpers; and yes launching at times at high rpm's in lieu of down shifting due to different circumstances.
That is why am pleased that it lasted as long as it did.
mike d and TheDude like this.
mcm is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
Yes , agree that it's good to be able to get the parts separate (i believe that when we get the pack, it's a bit less).


Am curious, which Honda did you have that at 18k you replaced the plates ( it amazes me looking back of how reliable the old carburetors Honda's lasted)?
She's still my baby Even if I don't fit her like I used to



Pull my finger
Beaker is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 07-15-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
mcm
Senior Member
 
mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties-CA.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, but clicking the link a Photobucket box appears that says, "please update your account to allow third party hosting" with a 100% full symbol.
Once the Photobucket (new window) page appears, all i get is a bunch of adds with out motorbike pics.
mcm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome