23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 07-23-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Givi vs Hepco and Becker vs ? Luggage

I mounted a Givi top case rack on the GSXS. I already had the Givi top case, so it seemed like a no brainer.
The good news is the top case has large capacity and you can't beat the ease of use. One hand opening and closing and one button to install or remove the case from the mount makes the system about as convenient as it gets.
The bad news is that in my opinion, the rack doesn't exactly complement the lines of the bike. I also feel that when the top case is mounted to the rack the styling becomes seriously ugly. Take a look at the attached images and see if you agree.
While I am a big fan of function over form, I can't help but wonder if there is a luggage system out there that has both. For example, The pictures I've seen of the Hepco and Becker C-Bow system look good, but I'd really like to hear from owners about how well the Street and/or Royster bags work for them.
At any rate. I thought I'd start the thread as a place where owners of any of the different luggage systems could discuss the pros and cons of the systems you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.JPG (70.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.JPG (80.7 KB, 193 views)
TheDude likes this.
post #2 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Garage
I ended up buying the SW-Motech cargobag. I have to admit that I haven't used it on a long trip yet, but I did fit it up on the bike and it seems perfect. It will not have the capacity of the Givi top case, but it looks much better IMHO.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceteach View Post
While I am a big fan of function over form, I can't help but wonder if there is a luggage system out there that has both.
I understand perfectly where you are coming from. In my opinion I think all top boxes and racks are ugly. But they are so useful.
I've gone down the Ventura route
https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/fitme...s_1000_fa.aspx
There are several images at the bottom of the page you can open.

It's soft luggage, so it's not as secure as hard luggage but I don't mind that. Also the frame isn't as beefy as the Givi stuff but it is really easy to take off and on. Also the frame has a couple of quick release screws so the rear part of the frame will come off real quick so you don't have to keep the whole thing on when not in use.
I like it, it's cheep, easy to adapt and for occasional use it does the job just right. If I was going to be doing a lot more I would go for a more quality set like what you have.
bgagnon likes this.

Pull my finger

post #4 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Mike the top case looks photoshopped it is so big and out of place lol. I am interested to here your impressions of the cargo bag. One thing I am concerned with is being able to lock the bags. That is a must to me.
mike d likes this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
post #5 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Mike the top case looks photoshopped it is so big and out of place lol. I am interested to here your impressions of the cargo bag. One thing I am concerned with is being able to lock the bags. That is a must to me.
The cargo bag is probably not the best option if you need high security. It has a zipper lock, but it's only strapped to the bike, I guess you could put a cable lock on it too, but it still is not going to offer the security of a top case. For my use, I don't plan on leaving it in an unobserved location for any length of time. It goes on/off easy and has a handle, so in those situations (if they do arise), I'll take it with me.
TheDude likes this.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beaker,
Thanks for the link! The Ventura Bonneville pannier system looks like a winner. Now I just need to find some images of what the mounts look like on the bike when the bags aren't installed.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 06:22 PM
mcm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ventura & modified center/side frames

Also have a few different types of top & side cases. Yet always modify them according to which bike & function.

For the gsxs the ventura works good, yet added 2 extra bolts to the sub-frame (with new welded tabs/more points of weight distribution), 1 spacer on each side at the bottom because of a gap between the bolt hole end connection and the bike bolt on area , and extra side brackets due to cantilever weight.

The pics are (obviously) the gsx s commute/work set-up.

Don't use the center very much in the summer (in the winter/rain use it more because of extra cargo, and some protection for lap top or tablet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-mcm-gsxs.jpg (168.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg sport rack 3.jpg (153.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg sport rack 2.jpg (178.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg mcm gsxs 4.jpg (243.2 KB, 134 views)
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
In my opinion nothing beats a rack with *big* topcase.
It looks terrible on most bikes, but I cannot say that "pannier" or any luggage system looks good on a naked bike.

If you are a "designer-type" (or pansy as some will say), you will rather use a matching (to your bike and leathers) aerodynamic backpack when hauling your makeup box and designer underwear.

PS/edit:
I was passed by the above type (on a ducati monster with dainese) this morning commuting to work.
I have the "ugly" Givi rack+42l topbox and love it.
(It is easy to take off for "inspired" trips/test-sessions)

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441

Last edited by bking1441; 07-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 PM
mcm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1441 View Post
In my opinion nothing beats a rack with *big* topcase.
It looks terrible on most bikes, but I cannot say that "pannier" or any luggage system looks good on a naked bike.

If you are a "designer-type" (or pansy as some will say), you will rather use a matching (to your bike and leathers) aerodynamic backpack when hauling your makeup box and designer underwear.

PS/edit:
I was passed by the above type (on a ducati monster with dainese) this morning commuting to work.
I have the "ugly" Givi rack+42l topbox and love it.
(It is easy to take off for "inspired" trips/test-sessions)
That was pretty good! we have a lot of them out here in Los Angeles (mostly weekend riders).

Agree, Reliability and functionality first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-mcm-gsxs.jpg (191.8 KB, 126 views)
bking1441 likes this.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
im still in the days of bungee nets ...holds sun glasses at night or an extra shirt...im enjoying the pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page