13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Second bike feels different (ecu, E33, vibration, etc)

Hi everyone,

As you may know, I unfortunately wrecked my first bike. That machine was bought in Ohio late in 2016, with VIN ending in 645, and had approximately 4500 miles at the time of loss. It had the typical slight vibration from 5500-6500rpm but certainly nothing to complain or worry about. I did install a Throttle Tamer after a few thousand miles, and was planning on a full ECU tune to help smooth out the throttle. I didn't think it had a 'snatch' problem at first, but it started to become apparent when I moved to Canyon Country and was wringing the bike out (to the best of my ability) in tighter turns. I don't think I'd call it a problem, but I just wanted smoother throttle response.

I bought my second bike in California in early 2017. The VIN is the exact same except it ends in 712, and it now has just under 3,000 miles. I know the new bike is E33 because I saw the E33 additional parts when I did the 600 mile service (extra hoses off throttle body, etc). At low or on/off throttle, this bike almost feels like it has a throttle tamer pre-installed. However the 4500rpm 'fuel cut' is a more noticeable. It is 'smoother', to the point that it feels a little less exciting and fun. It even feels a little like the first power peak has been mellowed down, and the second one comes on a little later.

This bike has annoying vibration at most RPMs, and its the worst from 6000-7500 (higher peak RPM range). The right side of the wind screen vibrates at idle, as does the right mirror. The vibration is felt in the bars, the seat, the tank, etc. It's not horrible throughout most of the range and I can certainly live with it, but it does feel 'bad' and bothersome at 6,000-7500 rpm.

I think these differences are probably 'subtle but noticeable' - I clearly notice them, but could imagine others saying they don't notice it, or could imagine the dealership saying 'they're all the same.' For me, it's enough to do some research, spend some time (and money) with a manometer, per the 600 mile service instructions, and possibly still get a tune if that doesn't solve it. But for this bike, I feel like the tune is more for power/performance, whereas the other bike it was about smoothness/control.

I wonder how much of this is due to the E33 parts (different ECU, extra air/fuel hoses, etc). Is there any way to find out if the first bike (645) was E33 without being able to look at it? Does Suzuki send non-E33 bikes to other states? E33 is California and Europe I believe - so I wonder how much this has biased conversations about the ECU and vibrations and whether or not people notice 'problems'.
post #2 of 30 Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have an E33 bike in OH. It's not mandated but that what I got when the dealer ordered the bike.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Fer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Hoe do you idientify an E33 bike? Live in Europe and I am qurious

--
Best regards from Denmark

Tommy Fer

post #4 of 30 Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
It seems crazy (expensive) to make 2 different bikes for the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all were E33.

I looked for part numbers that were different for E33. The throttle body is one, and there is a second set of vacuum hoses for the E33 throttle body. You can easily see the second set when you have the right side fairing off.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
US 49 State is E03 and Californication is E33.
The US Suzuki www Spec page refers to 2 variants in regard to weight. The different one is called 'CA' which is 1 KG heavier. I can't see any other references.
I am assuming CA is California, rather than Canada which is when I think of CA.

Europa doesn't have or get E33 as listed in the worldwide Suzuki Area Code listings, but there is always the person who tours abroad with his shipped over bike and dumps the bike before going home.
There would be no reason why Suzuki couldn't just sell California models across all the States if it's now too hard just to stuff around anymore with the smaller sales now in first world Countries.

Rob.
sangedegsx likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
The difference (from my understanding) is just a fuel vapor canister and some hoses. Performance should not be affected, except some weight. It wouldn't be shocking if all or many US bikes were 50 state e33 bikes.
post #7 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like maybe it needs a throttle body sync? The vibration would be one of the symptoms.
sangedegsx likes this.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
This bike has annoying vibration at most RPMs, and its the worst from 6000-7500 (higher peak RPM range). The right side of the wind screen vibrates at idle, as does the right mirror. The vibration is felt in the bars, the seat, the tank, etc. It's not horrible throughout most of the range and I can certainly live with it, but it does feel 'bad' and bothersome at 6,000-7500 rpm.
Hi Joe,

This is the same as my 2017. Strange its the right hand side. My engine was really bad between 6k and 7k. I've put it down to the R&G crash bungs. The instructions says tighten to 40NM, which may not be enough as the originals need 55NM

Do you have engine bungs fitted?
post #9 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Sounds like maybe it needs a throttle body sync? The vibration would be one of the symptoms.
boy a throttle body sync fixes everything
mike d likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
boy a throttle body sync fixes everything
You mean... wait for it... wait for it... Throttle Snatch ? (BTW, that would be a great user name).
Well, I know it can solve some vibration problems, but what other miracle cures does it offer?
rcannon409 and LEAVEITSTOCK like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page