11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-07-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michelin Pilot Road 4, 50 vs. 55 profile

I have decided on new Pilot Road 4 tires. I am wanting to go with a 55 profile for easier/sharper turn-in, as many have reported. I looked at the 50 profile PR4 in the store and it has a noticeably sharper profile than stock, and also a Pirelli that was sitting there (which appeared to be similar shape to the stock tire). My concern with the 55 profile is that I don't want to make the handling feel twitchy.

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have gone to a PR4 in both 50 and 55 size, with your observations on how the handling (especially turns) compared to the stock 190/50 tire.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what tire pressure you like with the PR4. On the stock Bridgestone I tend to run 2 to 4 psi lower than recommended.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold

Last edited by G-Dub; 10-07-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #2 of 26 Old 10-08-2017, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
I went straight for the 55 profile PR4 from the OEM tyre and was very happy with the result. My write-up is here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Michelin PR 4 tyre review for anoraks . I'm now on my second Metzler Roadtec 01 and that report is here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Metzler Roadtec 01 end of life review . There's relatively little difference for my type of riding between the PR4 and 01. The turn-in feels marginally quicker on the 01 but I would happily use either tyre. If you go to a 55 profile, you'll definitely notice that turn-in is better than a 50.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,

Geoff
chuck and G-Dub like this.

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 10-08-2017 at 05:12 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
I have decided on new Pilot Road 4 tires. I am wanting to go with a 55 profile for easier/sharper turn-in, as many have reported. I looked at the 50 profile PR4 in the store and it has a noticeably sharper profile than stock, and also a Pirelli that was sitting there (which appeared to be similar shape to the stock tire). My concern with the 55 profile is that I don't want to make the handling feel twitchy.

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have gone to a PR4 in both 50 and 55 size, with your observations on how the handling (especially turns) compared to the stock 190/50 tire.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what tire pressure you like with the PR4. On the stock Bridgestone I tend to run 2 to 4 psi lower than recommended.
Hi there, I think going with either would be fine. Of course leaving adjustments the same on suspension the 55 would help turn in slightly, but would be minimal. The bike is what it is. I haven't used the 55 on this bike but plenty of others with 50 as standard
It's really what you get used to. The other consideration is to leave the stock 50 profile and go for a tyre profile like the older Michelin 2CT. A great tyre (even today) with a pronounced "V" shape and profile to help you tip in, with the benefit of leaving the geometry standard - which in my opinion a better way to go, for a general purpose bike which it is and to definitely avoid anything unexpected or twitchy like you say. Hope this helps
Jeffro

post #4 of 26 Old 10-08-2017, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

Good choice on tires. I would have went with the Michelin's as well but Dunlop was offering a pretty big rebate ($100) on a set of their Roadsmart 3s and some seemed to like them better so I went that direction. All in all I feel modern sport touring tires in this category are all probably pretty comparable, especially for the average rider, so a person can't go wrong either way. I posted the below response in your other thread but felt like I should throw it in here for some other future rider in the same tire dilemma that finds this post. Hopefully before these tire designs become old news themselves.

Quote:
I finally got the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s on. I went against my better judgement and ordered a 55 for the rear. Don't have any huge mileage on them yet but that will soon change. First thing I noticed was the ride height in the rear, you can definitely feel it's a bit taller in the back. Didn't seem to effect anything negatively comfort-wise. The bike does seem to want to dip into turns much quicker and easier now though as reported by others. Since I changed at 3k miles I don't think I can just chalk it up to having new tires. Definitely something to going for a 55 in the rear over the OEM 50. Pretty surprising.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-08-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the helpful input. I think I'll go with the 55 since no one seems to report that it makes turn-in "too quick" or twitchy. I raised the forks (10mm to top of cap) and turn-in still doesn't feel as nimble as my V-strom 1000, which is a larger, heavier and taller bike. When I ride the Vee after the GSXS, I have to be careful on the first few 90-deg turns -- I've nearly dropped it (or felt that way) a time or two as it takes less effort to turn. Also raised the forks about the same on it - not a drastic difference but I liked the handling so have kept it. Will likely put the Gixxes forks back to stock with the 55 tire, which will keep the relative front to back height about the same.

--Gary

2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #6 of 26 Old 10-09-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful input. I think I'll go with the 55 since no one seems to report that it makes turn-in "too quick" or twitchy. I raised the forks (10mm to top of cap) and turn-in still doesn't feel as nimble as my V-strom 1000, which is a larger, heavier and taller bike. When I ride the Vee after the GSXS, I have to be careful on the first few 90-deg turns -- I've nearly dropped it (or felt that way) a time or two as it takes less effort to turn. Also raised the forks about the same on it - not a drastic difference but I liked the handling so have kept it. Will likely put the Gixxes forks back to stock with the 55 tire, which will keep the relative front to back height about the same.

Hi Gary,
My comment is only a general interest, but on my VFR12F I have just replaced the OEM Road Smart1 combo. The front was done several hundred km's first. I was going to use the PR4 as they also in the approved list for my really heavy (275KG) VFR, but I went on the advice of the tyre man to use the stiffer wall PR4GT.
It's size & profile are the same as the GSXS, but has more weight over the front end. With the rear end done a week back or so, and it is a matching 55 deg profile like your GSXS. All I can say is that these tyre's just smoked the RS1 from new, and having used PR4 on many lighter bikes, I find they are first class.
With the worn rear and new front, the VFR's rear was slow to turn in, but with matching profiles - all good; no great !

Your comment on the V Strom 1000 was spot on. I finally got today a test ride on the new 18 Strom and found the rear on the first rear corner at a round a bout flicked out a wee bit on the power on. I'll PM you about my test ride, it's a bottler.

Rob.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Neither tire is completely worn out, but the front is still in good shape. Only a little under 3K miles on it right now. Any issues with just replacing the rear for now with PR4 and leaving the front stock?

--Gary

2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #8 of 26 Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Neither tire is completely worn out, but the front is still in good shape. Only a little under 3K miles on it right now. Any issues with just replacing the rear for now with PR4 and leaving the front stock?
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to mix different tyres as they don't have matched profiles. It's not life-threatening or anything like that by doing so but you won't get the best handling and the new rear will wear slightly differently. I'm anal when it comes to tyres seeing they're the only thing that stops you going down the road on your arse. I always change both tyres together even though the front technically lasts longer than the rear. The conditions I mainly ride in normally means that the front is going out of shape by the time the rear needs replacing, mainly due to fairly aggressive countersteering.
G-Dub likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just got the wheels back and finished remounting tonight. Here's the profile of the Michelin Pilot Road 4 in 55 profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PR4 Rear tire.jpg (91.6 KB, 51 views)

--Gary

2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #10 of 26 Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I'm a 55 rear profile user on anything that come with a stupid 50 rear profile.

Just added Pirelli Angel GT A spec tires to my Concours 14 and yes I went with a 55 rear profile. Love the rear tire but hate the Pirelli front tire since I got a bad one I guess and it has the decel wobble now. shoulda stuck to what worked for me all the years, Michelins!

55 rear profile on the pig Concours 14 actually turned her into a pretty nimble big girl though.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

2016 GSX-S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page