16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 GSXS 1000 slipper clutch

2018 are supposed to have slipper clutch, is that true.
I am trying to find OEM part list for the GSXS 1000F 2018 to see what is the difference beetween 2016 and 2018 clutch.
Just want to see if I can ugrade my clutch to 2018 parts.

I have done clucth upgrade on my last bike, ninja 1000 2012 clutch to the 2015 slipper clutch. Not to mutch parts to change and the mod was arround $500.00
The mod also add less pull on the clutch lever. It was and awsome mod on the ninja.

So all I have found is 2017 parts list and there is no change in the clutch parts from 2016.

For the one that have tryed the 2018, is there a difference on engine braking when downshift compaire to the 2016.

Thanks

levesl
post #2 of 31 Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
All the GSXS bikes have something similar to a slipper. It's super smooth, back torque limiting (or something like that).

I doubt a slipper would be very noticeable.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #3 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoAJ View Post
All the GSXS bikes have something similar to a slipper. It's super smooth, back torque limiting (or something like that).

I doubt a slipper would be very noticeable.
In fact the things that I mist from the ninja clutch mod is the light clutch lever pull.
GSXS is quite smooth on downshift almost the same as a slipper clutch. .
ChicagoAJ likes this.

levesl

post #4 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
i like the engine braking...any help stopping or slowing down in the street is fine with me
dekker and nicka like this.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks PhuketPaul, would be great if you could have the parts list that you have changed.
Can't wait for your feedback.

levesl
post #6 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
So, have any of us managed to slide the back tire while downshifting? There seems to be some confusion about the 16-17 model year clutch having any special function such a back torque limiter. Someone with more skills than me can test this right?

I was also thinking about what effect abs and traction control will have when a sloppy downshift occurs and the rear tire is turning slower than the front. I don't think TC cares if the rear is turning slower than the front, but ABS sure does. I don't think ABS can do anything about it though unless you are braking.

Last edited by Supercharger; 04-29-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Had a sloppy 2 to 1 shift into a corner the other morning and it sure felt like the back end went out on me. Not skilled enough to know for sure.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
So, have any of us managed to slide the back tire while downshifting? There seems to be some confusion about the 16-17 model year clutch having any special function such a back torque limiter. Someone with more skills than me can test this right?

I was also thinking about what effect abs and traction control will have when a sloppy downshift occurs and the rear tire is turning slower than the front. I don't think TC cares if the rear is turning slower than the front, but ABS sure does. I don't think ABS can do anything about it though unless you are braking.
Yes, during spirited and aggressive riding, I have had a few occasions where the back tire slid a bit with downshifts during hard braking. Not full lockup, just not keeping up with the bike’s speed. This was normal back in my younger years, as no bikes had slipper clutches. It really is not a big deal!
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

post #9 of 31 Old 04-29-2018, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Yes, during spirited and aggressive riding, I have had a few occasions where the back tire slid a bit with downshifts during hard braking. Not full lockup, just not keeping up with the bike’s speed. This was normal back in my younger years, as no bikes had slipper clutches. It really is not a big deal!
I'm 56, I've had many bikes....the GSXS is the first bike i have owned with ABS and TC. All my previous bikes had only analog safety features....brakes and a competent operator
post #10 of 31 Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post

I have certainly locked up my rear tyre during downshifts on a couple of occasions when I have screwed up the rev matching on hard downshifts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in