25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Dano's ECU flash review

Ok boys and girls, I have run almost a full tank of gas through my bike since the flash and I done as thorough a job evaluating it as I can without a dyno.

Throttle: The throttle is much smoother. I'd say its as good as your going to get. I spent a lot of time in different gears and different RPM's trying to get an abrupt response. I also paid close attention of HOW to get a snatchy response. Snatch is 95% eliminated, and the remaining 5% is without a doubt being caused by driveline lash, not the throttle. One sure fire way to get snatch is too close the throttle completely and then open it again before the chain gets a chance to settle. If you wait a second before applying throttle its a lot smoother. I spent some time driving through subdivisions around here to test 1st and 2nd gear low speed stop and go while turning. That it the scenario that effected my bike the most with abruptness. The throttle is well behaved now. No drama. High RPM on/off the throttle is much improved. You can still get a wee bit of snatch if you ham fist it on/off throttle, but again that is the chain going slack/unslack. The engine braking of a stock ECU makes that problem more noticeable. My chain could probably be tightened a wee bit, but it is not out of spec. Verdict? The throttle is FIXED.

Engine braking: One of the factors contributing to the throttle snatch is the strong engine braking of a stock bike. Disabling the fuel cut has made a big difference in smooth on/off throttle transitions overall. The abruptness of our stock bikes is a combo of fueling and engine braking IMHO. Engine braking has been reduced dramatically. There is still some, but much less than stock. It feels more like a bike with carbs now, which I like. You even have time to close the throttle and adjust TC now without slowing too much as the bike coasts way better.

Performance: You all might remember I found a friggen bird nest in my airbox that covered at least 40% of my filter, so keep that in mind. That had to effect power output, especially at higher RPM's. So i can't consider this really stock to flashed. Having said that, power is improved, especially at high RPM haha. First three gears are brutal above 8k. Pulls very hard there. 5-7k lull is still there, but harder to notice in the first three gears. Bottom end has maybe a tad more torque. Overall, no complaints. The bike had more power you can use on the street before the flash, and now there is a bit more. My bike averaged 41MPG during testing, with quite a bit of flogging at higher RPMs. It does not appear that this flash will effect fuel mileage.

All in all, you really can't go wrong for $189.95 (includes shipping back to you) I am glad I went this route. I was debating getting a PCV instead of a flash, but i plan on keeping my exhaust stock. When i saw that Dano made some fuel adjustments to the stock map I did not see the advantage of a PCV. In fact, for less money your bike gets more benefits like disabling fuel cut and top speed restriction.

*During this testing period my pair valve system was fully functional. Dano told me blocking it would smooth throttle response even more. Now that my fuel level is about 1/4 tank i will block the pair hose and report back as to whether it makes any difference.
G-Dub, unload, dfossati and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Supercharger; 05-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #2 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Nice, wish FTECU would figure out the fuel cut. Woolich and Dano have it. I thought FTECU did when I made my purchase but was disappointed to find they didn't. I'm very happy with my bike but that would be the icing on the cake.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #3 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
How long was the process from the time you shipped it to them, until you received it back? I'm interested, trying to decide between this and holeshot.

Slow is fast

post #4 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
How long was the process from the time you shipped it to them, until you received it back? I'm interested, trying to decide between this and holeshot.
I shipped it last Monday from N.C. to Cali and had it back Saturday. You should start with the ECU tune as it removes restrictions as well as adjusts fuel. He has a tune for headers too and it saves you the expense of buying 02 and SET valve bypasses.
post #5 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Not bad at all on the shipping time. We are close so I could figure on the same. Mine is stock and plans are to keep it that way. I was looking for filter swap an ecu upgrade, maybe throttle tamer. I'm just trying to smooth the throttle on some of the tighter roads we ride.

Slow is fast
post #6 of 184 Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
I agree, you probably have same fuel mapping as me I would guess or real close as I am stock everything, bike is super smooth. I posted bumps etc in my thread cause me to abrupt the throttle but all in all, its a great handling ride really. Once I get my suspension up to par I bet it'll clean up a little more. I am glad you are liking it, I would of felt bad if you didnt like it since I advertised it.

Just knew he changed my gsxr night and day, it was worth a repeat customer to me to come to him first.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 05-21-2018 at 05:43 PM.
post #7 of 184 Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
Not bad at all on the shipping time. We are close so I could figure on the same. Mine is stock and plans are to keep it that way. I was looking for filter swap an ecu upgrade, maybe throttle tamer. I'm just trying to smooth the throttle on some of the tighter roads we ride.
I considered a filter swap, but from everything i have read you gain next to nothing and those hi flow filters do not filter as well. Our filter and air box are quite generous. I think the stock filter will give the same power and protect your engine better. FWIW, Dano recommended using the stock filter too. He says he has removed K&N and other other oiled gauze filters that had dirt on BOTH sides. Not good.
post #8 of 184 Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Everywhere I read online show that the paper filter is superior to oil, and you have to clean them, spend money upfront on a kn too.

7500 miles I just spend 30 bucks and get a new filter. No getting dirty and best filter, I read this on all car forums. Same applies to bikes.
post #9 of 184 Old 05-22-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Everywhere I read online show that the paper filter is superior to oil, and you have to clean them, spend money upfront on a kn too.

7500 miles I just spend 30 bucks and get a new filter. No getting dirty and best filter, I read this on all car forums. Same applies to bikes.
I am waiting on delivery of a Hiflo replacement paper filter. My OEM filter looked good after cleaning and vacuuming the bird nest material from it, but for $18 I might as well replace it being I am lifting the tank again. Looks just like the stock filter and its half the price. P/N HFA3912. Once I receive it I'll lift the tank and replace the filter and block the PAIR hose. Interested if I can feel any difference in throttle response with the PAIR system blocked.

Thanks for the heads up on Dano's FeedomPenguin!
post #10 of 184 Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Use a marble, it’s just about as easy as it gets. 1 dollar and can just pop it back out by squeezing it in future. It only sets about an inch in the hose, literally right under the plastic nipple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page