Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mooresville, NC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
My Dano's ECU flash review
Ok boys and girls, I have run almost a full tank of gas through my bike since the flash and I done as thorough a job evaluating it as I can without a dyno.
Throttle: The throttle is much smoother. I'd say its as good as your going to get. I spent a lot of time in different gears and different RPM's trying to get an abrupt response. I also paid close attention of HOW to get a snatchy response. Snatch is 95% eliminated, and the remaining 5% is without a doubt being caused by driveline lash, not the throttle. One sure fire way to get snatch is too close the throttle completely and then open it again before the chain gets a chance to settle. If you wait a second before applying throttle its a lot smoother. I spent some time driving through subdivisions around here to test 1st and 2nd gear low speed stop and go while turning. That it the scenario that effected my bike the most with abruptness. The throttle is well behaved now. No drama. High RPM on/off the throttle is much improved. You can still get a wee bit of snatch if you ham fist it on/off throttle, but again that is the chain going slack/unslack. The engine braking of a stock ECU makes that problem more noticeable. My chain could probably be tightened a wee bit, but it is not out of spec. Verdict? The throttle is FIXED.
Engine braking: One of the factors contributing to the throttle snatch is the strong engine braking of a stock bike. Disabling the fuel cut has made a big difference in smooth on/off throttle transitions overall. The abruptness of our stock bikes is a combo of fueling and engine braking IMHO. Engine braking has been reduced dramatically. There is still some, but much less than stock. It feels more like a bike with carbs now, which I like. You even have time to close the throttle and adjust TC now without slowing too much as the bike coasts way better.
Performance: You all might remember I found a friggen bird nest in my airbox that covered at least 40% of my filter, so keep that in mind. That had to effect power output, especially at higher RPM's. So i can't consider this really stock to flashed. Having said that, power is improved, especially at high RPM haha. First three gears are brutal above 8k. Pulls very hard there. 5-7k lull is still there, but harder to notice in the first three gears. Bottom end has maybe a tad more torque. Overall, no complaints. The bike had more power you can use on the street before the flash, and now there is a bit more. My bike averaged 41MPG during testing, with quite a bit of flogging at higher RPMs. It does not appear that this flash will effect fuel mileage.
All in all, you really can't go wrong for $189.95 (includes shipping back to you) I am glad I went this route. I was debating getting a PCV instead of a flash, but i plan on keeping my exhaust stock. When i saw that Dano made some fuel adjustments to the stock map I did not see the advantage of a PCV. In fact, for less money your bike gets more benefits like disabling fuel cut and top speed restriction.
*During this testing period my pair valve system was fully functional. Dano told me blocking it would smooth throttle response even more. Now that my fuel level is about 1/4 tank i will block the pair hose and report back as to whether it makes any difference.
Last edited by Supercharger; 05-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.