2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ethanol free fuel

Iíve run several tanks of ethanol free fuel. Has anyone tried this? My bike had what I thought were minimal fueling issues, but after running several tanks of this, wow, what a difference! Smooth as glass from off throttle to anywhere beyond.

I donít think itís psychological. If youíre having fueling/throttle issues at slight throttle settings, try it.
post #2 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Definitely psychological imho.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
That is all I run but I run it so nothing will gum up while it sits. Can't tell the difference in it running on ethanol or non ethanol.

2016 GSX-S1000

post #4 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Do you guys in other states have a legal no ethanol option? Here in Fl we only get 10% ethanol at the pump, although some stations offer a 90 octane ethanol free " recreational " fuel at a much higher price. I used to fill a 5 gal can with it to put in my Ducati so the plastic gas tank wouldn't warp. I don't know if the gasoline police would get me if I tried to pump it directly in the tank.

I use the 93 octane ethanol crap routinely in my car and other bikes with no obvious problem yet. I know it generally ain't good though..
post #5 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Ethanol isn't bad, theres a misconception. Problem is it sitting and gelling up as stated. I put seafoam in my last tank of fuel in all my vehicles for winter, and I keep few oz in every 5 gallon jug of fuel I get for lawnmowers etc. never had an issue, starts up and runs great. I go through a bottle every 2 years or so of seafoam, but its cheap assurance to help not gel/seperate.

Another problem is, if you are buying crap gas from non top tier. Walmart etc. you should be buying only shell, BP, chevron, etc. If you use cheap gas, you can use a gas cleaner periodically with the savings I guess.

I just use the better gas 90% of time, I only fill with cheap gas if I am traveling and they have some off brand gas station in middle of nowhere. The top tier detergents will help longevity of all vehicles. Its only like 1-2c savings going to cheap gas in my area.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 08-01-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
There’s an app called Pure Gas, it locates where to buy.

Ethanol doesn’t have the same energy as pure fuel. I swear it feels better.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot View Post
There’s an app called Pure Gas, it locates where to buy.

Ethanol doesn’t have the same energy as pure fuel. I swear it feels better.
Even though ethanol does not have the same amount of energy the RON rating on 90 octane ethanol free is not higher than 93octane with UP TOO 10%. You are not getting more combustion with 90octane in the usa....90 octane ethanol free is not performance fuel...meant for older cars or engines that specifically cant handle the ethanol...such as those with no/poor working knock sensors.

There are a ton of places in florida that sell 89-90 ethanol free...almost every wawa. There are several that have 100 octane but those are remote and expensive and not necessarily good for the engine.

Remember that since ethanol has been added for quite some time...modern engines are designed and tested with the expectation that it will be the likely fuel.

I definetly feel the difference between brands of gas and agree that cheap, no name gas, tends to make the bike run bad.

I love costco gas....mobil/chevron are good. Sunnoco is awesome and they often have various forms of race fuel.

HESS has cool toys
post #8 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
Even though ethanol does not have the same amount of energy the RON rating on 90 octane ethanol free is not higher than 93octane with UP TOO 10%. You are not getting more combustion with 90octane in the usa....90 octane ethanol free is not performance fuel...meant for older cars or engines that specifically cant handle the ethanol...such as those with no/poor working knock sensors.

There are a ton of places in florida that sell 89-90 ethanol free...almost every wawa. There are several that have 100 octane but those are remote and expensive and not necessarily good for the engine.

Remember that since ethanol has been added for quite some time...modern engines are designed and tested with the expectation that it will be the likely fuel.

I definetly feel the difference between brands of gas and agree that cheap, no name gas, tends to make the bike run bad.

I love costco gas....mobil/chevron are good. Sunnoco is awesome and they often have various forms of race fuel.

HESS has cool toys
Iím buying 92 octane ethanol free. 90 octane would be below the minimum specified for this bike.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
any gas mobil shell ect all fill up at the same local place in that area....no name gas stations...to mobil.......they fill at a local terminal and add there own additives.....do you think shell gas only delivers to shell gas stations...it cant be done its impossible ....truck may say shell mobil........but its filled at the closest no name gas terminal..they add what makes there gas special and there off to deliver......all gas is the same the additives is what sets then apart..........some times i swear when i change my oil it runs better
Kassu likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot View Post
I’m buying 92 octane ethanol free. 90 octane would be below the minimum specified for this bike.
actually, if you check the required RON rating, 90 octane, ethanol free in the usa technically meets the requirements for the bike (if i remember right)... but its about the same as 93e so not really worth it. I would stick 92 ethanol free if it was closer to my house......there are a few but all about 30 min away. The should give you more combustion.

Even though many different brands of gas may buy their fuel from the same place and then put in their own additives, its the actual refineries and where the initial oil was sourced from that can make a difference......Shale oil is not the same as Venezuela crude which is also different the middle east stuff ect..... They all require different processes to convert to gasoline and you can be certain that not every refinery does as an equally good job. Even how its transported can affect the quality. I have seen more than once where the gas from a cheap station had visible particulate matter in it....Likely from poorly maintained, old, rusty tanks. Its all of those reasons combined that I say only buy your gas from the big guys....they will care about their reputation more. †

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page