LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tyre profiles and traction control

There have been previous threads about whether going from a 50 profile tyre to a 55 adversely affects traction control operation. Reading through them, the comments seemed to be inconclusive. I've used 55 profile tyres since early 2016 and have been perfectly happy with both grip and rate of turn-in. In rain mode, I've never seen the TC light come on, whereas it was always flickering on and off with the OEM 50 profile, even in dry conditions. I recently had a big slide whilst in rain mode on a greasy bit of road and looking for the TC light was the last thing on my mind 😁. However, it prompted me to write to Suzuki NZ to get their take on changing tyre profiles. This is their reply:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for your email.
Please understand that by changing the rear tyre from the standard OEM tyre this may effect the way the motorcycle handles and operates.
Thank you for your feedback on how the bike has performed to date on the 55 profile tyre. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm that the traction control may be affected by this.
However, the system is a self-checking unit and any issue will generate a warning light to stay on. If you continue to use the 55 profile tyre, please ride with caution, particularly in wet conditions.

Thank you again for your enquiry and feedback and we hope this information has been helpful.

Regards,

Richard

Predictably, the response was a company "safe"one but I noted his comment about the self-checking property of the TC. I certainly don't get a system warning light. I wouldn't have thought that the profile would adversely affect TC - what if a slow puncture and the decreased radius caused it to malfunction? Hardly failsafe.

Thoughts, comments?
post #2 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Geoff,

I changed tyres from the stock dunlop 190/50 to Rosso Corsa 190/55 and then to Supercorsa 200/55 which has a significantly larger rolling radius than the stock tyre.

The system does seem to calibrate itself when you start up, with the lights not going off until 5kmh, so i have always assumed that this is the system calibrating itself to account for tyre wear etc. Unlock some bikes you cannot edit the Traction Control setting with a reflash.

Having changed tyres i see and feel the Traction Control cutting in much less, in a large part down to the much stickier tyres and I quite often drive with the TC off in good conditions, however it does still function perfectly well as i can remember on a couple of distinct occasions.
  1. In good conditions racing away from traffic Lights with BMWs1000RR and 2017 GSXR1000R, i had left the TC in setting 1and i just couldn't keep up with the other bikes, and the bike felt like it was being held back - then realised it wasthe TC cutting in because the front wheel kept coming off the ground
  2. In the rain racing a GSXS750 from the lights again and the light was flicking continously and i couldn't pull away from the 750 which had much better tyres for the wet

So i feel that it still works perfectly with the different profile just less often due to the better tyres. And obviously the tyres can still slide in the rain regardless of traction control such as a lock up from engine braking or just an oily patch and nothing to do with putting down power through the tyre.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for sharing your experience Paul, it's much appreciated. I haven't actually seen the light come on since going to a 55, but that's not to say it doesn't. I'm normally looking at the next vanishing point! . It's great to hear that you've actually seen yours come on. I'll be staying with 55's anyway.

I ride in all weathers and I'm currently on Road 5's. The ease of turn-in is really good but whether they are better than the Roadtec 01's I had on previously is still open to debate.

Cheers! 👍

post #4 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
when i first changed to a 55 for a long time i thought my tc was not working, but i put on bridgestone s21 and they were much more sticky than the tyre it came with, and then one night just before it was dark i hit a road with a hump back bridge i normally ride flat out down and the front came up about 3 feet and i seen the tc light flicker lol so it is working
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
As PhuketPaul says above the system self calibrates as you set off riding, the light goes out at 7 Kph about 5 mph to let you know the system is working, it then calculates rolling circumference over the next 2 full wheel rotations and self calibrates based on the system count on each pole wheel. Lets say for arguments sake it sees a figure of 100 from the front and 88 from the rear due to the difference in tyre rolling circumference. The system then bases all its calculations based on these initial readings.
Kiwi Geoff and Packmule like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbieben View Post
As PhuketPaul says above the system self calibrates as you set off riding, the light goes out at 7 Kph about 5 mph to let you know the system is working, it then calculates rolling circumference over the next 2 full wheel rotations and self calibrates based on the system count on each pole wheel. Lets say for arguments sake it sees a figure of 100 from the front and 88 from the rear due to the difference in tyre rolling circumference. The system then bases all its calculations based on these initial readings.
It should go out at 3.1mph or 5kmh but I would love to know where you got the other information from
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
It should go out at 3.1mph or 5kmh but I would love to know where you got the other information from
I'm an Engineer and for quite a few years designed these systems for bikes, trucks, cars etc. I've worked for Williams F1 team and one or two Motorcycle race teams.
PhuketPaul and oldjackbob like this.

Last edited by Robbieben; 08-02-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page