24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 08-05-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking for luggage Options.

Planning a short Euro tour on my GSXS1000F and would like some advice on the various luggage options available.

I have a Givi Tanklok tank bag of about 25 litres capacity and an Oxford tail bag of a similar size.

I would like to use throwover panniers but dislike how they hang precariously near to the rear wheel.

Considering the Blaze soft panniers with their mounting bars but wonder if I should go for a full frame and carrier system.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information, particularly pictures available.

Please describe what you have, where its from and some images please.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #2 of 43 Old 08-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Simon,

You use the word "precariously" to describe throwover panniers. That's what I use and there's nothing precarious about them. I use Oxford 1 expanding bags. One of the cross-straps fits under the pillion seat to lock it in place. The lower front of each pannier is secured to the rear footpegs mount by thin cord. The rear is stopped from flapping about with a short bungee cord between the two bags hooked under the indicators. I've used that arrangement when hauling gear for nearly 3 years and it's an inexpensive solution which can be quickly removed. I have matte 3M clearfilm on the tailpiece to stop scuffing. I could provide close-up photos but the top photo in this link shows the general arrangement: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: That ain't workin', that's the way you do it......... . The silver bag on top is just a yachting dry bag which I use for overflow stuff. Don't need to use it all that often. I hope that reassures you about the stability of throwovers plus low cost.

Edit: I've now done a temporary upload of some closer photos to Dropbox and will leave them there for a day or two. This is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9nwuufg9d...5Qx5KkYPa?dl=0

Cheers,

Geoff
Simon W and Alun like this.

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 08-05-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #3 of 43 Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the Oxford soft bags and have toured Scotland and gone to Le Mans with them no problem even while travelling at speed ;-)
Kiwi Geoff and Simon W like this.

post #4 of 43 Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
There are a few good chioces out ther now.
I've gone for the Ventura system. It works pretty well and there are plenty of bag choices to suit your needs
Someone has done a you tube review here
I like the way the saddle bage are fixed so they cant flap around

and the latest prices and options can be found here https://www.ventura-bike.com/product...i/GSX-S-1000FA

Its not as expensive or has the quality of a Givi system but for te money and occasional use, I'd say it was pretty good value. I've had mine about three years now and probably do 4 or 5 major trips a year and other than a bit of rust on the bolts (I should change them for stainless) its still in pretty good condition.

Pull my finger
post #5 of 43 Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Twisted Throttle sells the Blaze saddlebag support system. Part # HTA 05 740 80702B. I had one similar on a previous bike and it's a slick snap in and snap out system. Not cheap at around $180.00 if I remember correctly. It basically keeps the bags from rubbing against the wheel. Good Luck
post #6 of 43 Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
There are a few good chioces out ther now.
I've gone for the Ventura system. It works pretty well and there are plenty of bag choices to suit your needs
Someone has done a you tube review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiUCnsjdMpQ
I like the way the saddle bage are fixed so they cant flap around
Small world I took the guy who produced this video for his IAM Advanced Roadcraft Test in NZ! Top bloke!
post #7 of 43 Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Cool.
He was also a member on here as that is where I first saw the video. Canít recall a name at the moment but Iím sure it will come back to me soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

Pull my finger
post #8 of 43 Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
What do you guys think about the Firstgear Torrent duffle bag? The 40 liter size should be sufficient for a week long trip. Does this require a luggage rack to mount, or can it mount over our back seat?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ent-duffle-bag
post #9 of 43 Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think the Blaze panniers are mt current favourites for the occasional use I will be giving them. £250 for a fairly tidy installation and 28 to 42 lof capacity.

The other option is Givi ST601's at 44 litres max, semi rigid with fixed rails at almost £520 for the set.

Final option is classical throw overs (Oxford P50's) with bungees and tie wraps at about£120.

Got an oxford 40L tail pack and some generic panniers atm but really not happy with how they ft on the GSXS

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #10 of 43 Old 08-09-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think the Blaze panniers are mt current favourites for the occasional use I will be giving them. £250 for a fairly tidy installation and 28 to 42 lof capacity.

The other option is Givi ST601's at 44 litres max, semi rigid with fixed rails at almost £520 for the set.

Final option is classical throw overs (Oxford P50's) with bungees and tie wraps at about£120 or the P60 with 10 litres extra for another £5

Got an oxford 40L tail pack and some generic panniers atm but really not happy with how they ft on the GSXS

Last edited by Simon W; 08-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page