6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question upgrading brake disc from 310mm to 320mm or 330mm

So i am in for more power to front brakes, i rode one with 320mm ones and was blown away by the stopping power.

what all parts need to be changed for upgrading the brakes apart from larger 320 mm or 330 mm discs
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlU View Post
So i am in for more power to front brakes, i rode one with 320mm ones and was blown away by the stopping power.

what all parts need to be changed for upgrading the brakes apart from larger 320 mm or 330 mm discs
Do you already put braided lines, better pads (vesrah for instance), upgraded MC? I would start there.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Ive done this mod. Its not on a gsxs/gsx-f, but I am using the GSXR brembo calipers.

I did see where someone did the math on this.Their figures were related to how much extra power you would get from changing a 300mm set of rotors to a 310mm . I forget the precise figure, but it was somewhere between 3 and 3.5%. Not very much, based only on rotor size, only.

For sure, you want to do a brake pad upgrade, before rotors. If you have weak pads, just that size change wont do much. Second step should be to upgrade your master cylinder. That Brembo rcs 19 would work really well with our Brembo calipers.

One interesting thing I did notice was in testing a set of 310mm Galfer wave rotors as compared to my 310mm brembo rotors. If you really want that huge hit, just as you grab the lever, the Galfer wave rotor will give you that. For me, I liked the more progressive and smooth feel from the round, Brembo rotor.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Ive done this mod. Its not on a gsxs/gsx-f, but I am using the GSXR brembo calipers.

I did see where someone did the math on this.Their figures were related to how much extra power you would get from changing a 300mm set of rotors to a 310mm . I forget the precise figure, but it was somewhere between 3 and 3.5%. Not very much, based only on rotor size, only.

For sure, you want to do a brake pad upgrade, before rotors. If you have weak pads, just that size change wont do much. Second step should be to upgrade your master cylinder. That Brembo rcs 19 would work really well with our Brembo calipers.

One interesting thing I did notice was in testing a set of 310mm Galfer wave rotors as compared to my 310mm brembo rotors. If you really want that huge hit, just as you grab the lever, the Galfer wave rotor will give you that. For me, I liked the more progressive and smooth feel from the round, Brembo rotor.
Are you saying the OEM GSXR Brembo Caliper is different from the OEM GSXS Caliper?

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:

and the Brembo RCS 17 would work even better (more power and better feel)... just saying...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
and the Brembo RCS 17 would work even better (more power and better feel)... just saying...
I disagree, you will get more travel and possibly more feel with a 17mm piston but less power than a 19

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 08-08-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
All you need are bigger discs that have exactly the same bolt spacing, internal spacing and same offset and either 5mm or 10mm spacers for the calipers, if you find something good let me know!

K fine what about the fairing bolt see my attachment its circled red? wont the position change?

Last edited by CtrlU; 07-20-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
I disagree, you will get more travel and possibly more feel with a 17mm piston but less power than a 19
so which is better rcs 17 or 19, i want more feel and power
Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

interesting observation
Old 08-08-2018, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlU View Post
K fine what about the fairing bolt see my attachment its circled red? wont the position change?
The fender bolt will not move, but you will need 4 spacers (marked in red), 5mm for 320 discs and 10mm for 330 discs, with longer bolts for the 330s.

But as others have mentioned its far more worthwhile doing other upgrades first and the bigger discs add more rotating mass.

320s add about 3% torque to the brakes and 330s about 6%

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in