• 2 Post By FreedomPenguin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-09-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Important to know about ECU flashes

Found out the hard way, it may not work this way for all of them, but, with FT ECU once your ecu is flashed, it is locked.
I did the FT ECU flash myself using their bike side kit. Worked well, but, they never released the deceleration fuel cut fix, even though they said they were going to. So, I sent my ecu into Danno's for his flash, got a call saying it was locked. He sent it back to me. Called FT ECU and was told that if I flashed back to stock it would unlock it. I flashed back to stock, reinstalled it to remind myself what the stock ecu was like and sure enough it sucked. The FT ECU did smooth things out some.
I then sent the ecu back to Danno's and got the phone call saying it was still locked. S#*t!
Called FT ECU and this time was told I had to send it to them to have it unlocked. Not sure what I'm going to to at this point.
What a pain in the ass!
post #2 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I personally would ride it for awhile til weather breaks, then send to FT ecu, and then ask them to mail it to danos perf instead of back to you, then he can flash it, and mail it back to you. Not completely happy with the FT ECU? (im interested to hear why)

So do you think my ECU is locked to danos? (if I mailed it to ft ecu for example, im not) but would it be locked to dano? wonder if all the ecu's are locked to their original flasher, or if thats an optional thing that FT ecu did to keep from altering them as you are experiencing.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 09-10-2018 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting, good to know.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

post #4 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Dano's use Woolich and the Woolich ECUs are not locked, can be flashed back to stock or by another company
post #5 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Garage
I had the same issue with FTECU, so I sold the FTECU flashed one and bought a second hand ECU that i flashed with the better Woolich system
oldjackbob likes this.

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 09-10-2018 at 04:33 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
With emissions getting more stringent, how long then will any OEM ECU remain unlocked ?
It would be extremely easy to implement a lock code known only to the Factories, would it not ?
As emissions compliance now have to last the life of the engine rather than some years, that seems to be logical step in the process.

Rob.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
With emissions getting more stringent, how long then will any OEM ECU remain unlocked ?
It would be extremely easy to implement a lock code known only to the Factories, would it not ?
As emissions compliance now have to last the life of the engine rather than some years, that seems to be logical step in the process.

Rob.
They are locked in effect - That's why it takes Woolich/FTECU a while to release the files to enable us to flash them

Kawasaki for example can't be read until you overwrite some of the code in the original ECU

The Hardware is very similar on different bikes - for example the 2016 GSXS-1000 uses the same ECU as 2007 onward Hayabusas but Suzuki write different code to it so they can't be made unwriteable or the manufacturers wouldn't be able to write to them
post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Responding to Freedom Penguin:"I personally would ride it for awhile til weather breaks, then send to FT ecu, and then ask them to mail it to danos perf instead of back to you, then he can flash it, and mail it back to you. Not completely happy with the FT ECU? (im interested to hear why)"

I think the FT ECU product is good and their customer support is excellent, really good, A+.
The issues I had with the bike were the bike being jittery and bucking at constant throttle, bad bucking over bumps (the last 3/4 of a mile back to my house is very bumpy) and throttle snatch when you go on and off the throttle. The FT ECU flash definately smoothed things out some. A throttle tamer helped some with the bucking on the bumpy roads, I was happy with the 30% difference for awhile, but, by the time I get home I still want to sell the bike. I think the bucking over bumps is due to the fuel injector fuel cut during deceleration. No matter how light and steady I hold the throttle over bumps, it still bucks. When I ride my Street Triple over the same road it's perfectly smooth. I realize that 675cc compared to 999cc could be part of the difference.
Due to the FT ECU flash the constant throttle jitteryness is improved some. I am going to try eliminating the o2 sensor as I've heard that can solve some lower rpm issues.
FT ECU has not addressed the fuel cut issue and says they don't have a plan to do so in the near future, maybe never. I don't really think that the Danno's flash will improve much on what FT ECU did address, I'm interested in seeing the difference with what FT ECU didn't address.

I always plan on a short response, but, they never seem to be very short
post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I had to send my FTECU flash back. Wasn't happy with low speed fueling. Very jerky and imo worse than stock. I called them up told them I was not happy with it. Kirk is who I dealt with and he was the one who originally did the flashing on the test bike they had in there to create the flash and knew what I was referring to once we talked. He said it was the enrichening thing the suzuki does off idle and they couldn't get that trait out of it in the flash. I threw the BS flag at him and said it is on it's way back. Work it out. 3 weeks later I finally get it back. The jerkiness is all but gone, well 80% of it the thing still has its moments at low speed running at parking lot speeds. I gave up, it runs like a beast every where else so I live with it. My bike is not stock, full M4 pipe, no baffle, BMC race air filter with airbox baffle out and frame openings wide open. No emissions anything on it all that has been removed. Outside the stuttery light throttle openings right off idle or idling across a parking lot it runs very good and very strong. I'll take the performance it delivers verses the nit picky down low jitters. Thing only gets mid 30s mpg but I have a heavy hand. I have seen 40 mpg briefly riding it like a old man. 145 miles it is basically out of gas.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #10 of 10 Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Maybe borrow my ecu for a day and give it a test are you near Ohio?. My ecu is awesome. If you really are that torn on wanting to sell the bike, I’d recommend the last attempt with Dano. My weathers been garbage for last week.

There was one slight hiccup w the initial flash w me and 2 others a slight surge in low opening but he fixed it and re flashed ours. Been perfect since. The people forward for the new low opening adjustments that our members had fixed.
oldjackbob and BKing111 like this.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 09-10-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page