6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-s 1000 after an 2 years in a limited Sv 650

Hello people, I was thinking about buying this bike after 2 years and 20000 km with a sv limited to 47 hp because of euro A2 license restriction, I can't find a way to test ride the bike so it's kind of a blind purchase, my question is, is this too much of a bike to step on from the sv 650.

Many thanks.
post #2 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrylindon View Post
Hello people, I was thinking about buying this bike after 2 years and 20000 km with a sv limited to 47 hp because of euro A2 license restriction, I can't find a way to test ride the bike so it's kind of a blind purchase, my question is, is this too much of a bike to step on from the sv 650.

Many thanks.
no buy and enjoy
post #3 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I started on an sv650, then moved onto a KTM 990 sm-t, I had the same concerns then but as a mature rider I could do a test ride.. from that I figured as long as I was restrained with the throttle I would be okay. Apart from being caught by a speed camera doing silly stuff once I was fine with the transition...

After about 10 years with triples and twins, and with the last 5 of those with a rocket 3 roadster (2.3 litre, 220nm torque and heavy) I traded the rocket in for a 68 plate gsx-s1000....I'm still not used to it, il4 sports bikes are rapid! It's very very eager once the revs are up...

Bottom line, if you can keep yourself out of trouble and have enough self control you'll be fine....but if you go too far the bike will take you where you don't want to be!

post #4 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I started really old with motorcycles, I have been riding only for 3 years but I'm almost 40, so no silly stuff for me. Frankly a gsx s750f would have been good enough but that doesn't exist and I would like to try the fairing, maybe I'm expecting too much and the fairing will not make that big a difference.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my SV and bought mine, mind you, I also ride a hayabusa. lol

Slow is fast
post #6 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Go for it Barry, you won't want for more! I started in my early thirties... you'll be fine.

The fairing with stock screen does something, it's not great at higher speeds, people have had mixed results with various after market screens too...

Last edited by Kaivalagi; 09-27-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivalagi View Post
Go for it Barry, you won't want for more! I started in my early thirties... you'll be fine.

The fairing with stock screen does something, it's not great at higher speeds, people have had mixed results with various after market screens too...
I love the stock setup. I bought a cheap double bubble version of the stock screen on ebay, for looks, but it's really not much different than stock, and I'm perfectly happy. Get a good helmet and thank yourself for not having to deal with buffeting.
Kaivalagi likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Take the plunge, Barry. I bought my '18 S1000F without a test ride, and in fact without having ridden anything at all for over 30 years (my last bike was a Norton 850 Commando). On my first ride with the new bike I felt right at home. Very planted feeling, no surprises at all other than a somewhat more sensitive throttle than I was used to before (a Throttle Tamer fixed that just fine). I now have 1600 miles on the bike, and it's really starting to feel like we're old friends. It's a different bike than the Norton but I really do love it. A lot more power is available than what the Norton had, but nothing at all to be afraid of...just don't wick it wide open before you're familiar with the bike and you'll be fine. I'm even starting to wish it had a bit more low- and mid-range pull. I'm laughing at myself when I say that because I'll be 65 years old tomorrow...an old man who wants more punch than the stock bike can deliver, lol.
steviemcl and Kaivalagi like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I changed from an unrestricted 599cc Fazer and the transition has been seemless and above all, fun. True, you have to take care for the first few kilometers as the power is there, but once you get acquainted with the machine it is amazing. It has power reserves everywhere, confidence-inspiring.
Kaivalagi likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
There is no way anyone can answer that question without knowing you personally and knowing what kind of skills and self control you have.
dekker likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page