User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-01-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Range, Capacity MPG & other waffle for discussion.

Approaching 15k miles on my GSXS1000F and still enjoying the bike massively. I started using the Fuelly app a year ago and looking at it reveals some interesting data and raised a few questions in my mind.

1: On board computer and range calculation. Pulled up tonight with 134 miles on the odometer and 70 miles range displayed, strange thing is, when I fill the tank the range rarely shows more than 156 miles!

2: On board computer seems to read/ calculate lower than the result of miles covered and gallons refilled. not a massive difference but can be 2-3 mpg out!

3: On board computer = There have been occasions where I have snuck 2 or 3 miles out of the tank when the gauge is showing __ how many miles has anyone coaxed out of an indicated empty tank?

4: I attempt to brim the tank without pouring precious go go juice all over the forecourt. trickling fuel in seems to get 2/10 of a gallon extra in. the most I have ever put in was 17.4 litres, quite impressive on a 17 litre tank.

5: Not sure why but I seem to be returning 10% more MPG on my GSXS than on previous bikes and travel considerably further on a tank than my riding buddies om Honda CB1000, BMW s1000R, RR, MT10 and even a CBR600RR. We travel at a similar pace when riding together so I would expect very similar MPG.

6: Riding style, this may be in part an answer to item 5 above. I tend to be the route leader and try to keep within 10mph or so of UK national speed limits and find myself adopting 3 self regulated riding modes. First is just cruising around at 3 to 5k rpm, plenty fast enough for commuting and dealing with most cars and possibly 90% of my riding, Next is a more sprightly pace holding 8k for a bit more fun and to get the adrenaline flowing, hard to measure but say 8% , finally is nutter mode, I can rarely sustain it for all but brief bursts (3%) and fear for my licence when I hit the limiter in anything past first gear. Now to the query in hand, some of my friends roll through 30, 40, 50 limits wailing along in first gear where I would probably be in 3rd, 4th and maybe 5th respectively. I understand about keeping the engine spinning to keep on the power but on UK roads feel it un-neccessary, although it could be that I am just a slow, grumpy old fart! comments please.

7: Tacho settings, played with the alternate tacho displays, peak hols, slow tail off, inverted etc when I first got the bike and settled on the basic bar. What setting do you run with?

Rambling waffle about nowt, nothing on TV discuss.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #2 of 36 Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I don't know miles so I will state my figures in kms but hopefully it still makes sense.

I have noticed when I fill up the tank, the range number will display some random number around 280-290 or thereabouts. It will then stay at that number for about 30-40 kms, then it will start to count down. For some reason it seems incapable of displaying a number higher than 290.

Only once did I run the tank until that number was 0. I dont' remember whether it actually displayed a 0 or something else. The bike kept running and I was able to ride another 3 kms or so to the gas station.

The bottom line is the range estimator only gives you a general idea of how far you can go, it's not entirely accurate.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to carry some extra fuel. Probably gonna install some kind of small rack onto which I can strap a 10 liter gas can.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Good to know about riding past empty. I found myself out in the middle of nowhere yesterday with 16 miles showing on my tank. I pulled up the GPS. Going right, the direction of my route, next town was 23 miles. Going left, not my direction, town was 7.4 miles. I spent an extra 15 minutes riding there and back for gas. It wasn't wasted time of course because it's on the GSX-S1000, but still... That said I don't ever ride any bike down like that. I DO NOT want to push it. Especially not in the Texas heat. I'd rather stop off early than risk it.

I tell you, I did not buy this bike for the mpg's. I did consider total range when buying it, but didn't really care about the gas mileage. That said, I've been pleasantly surprised. I track on fuelly too (I never trust on board readings) and I'm running at 39.8 US MPG (47.80 British MPG/5.91 Liters per 100 km) and that includes some blasts down the Texpress lane to work where the speed limit is 75mph but if you aren't doing well above that you'll get run down by the other drivers. I won't say how fast I'm going, but 75mph is a distant memory.

Bonkers (Suzuki GSX-S1000) | Fuelly

Fuel mileage converter -> https://www.calculateme.com/gas-mile...-mpg-to-us-mpg

I totally forgot about the tach display. I remember reading about it and watching a bunch of videos, but then I got the bike and forgot all about it. I need to play with it, but will likely come back to basic.
Simon W likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

post #4 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I'm UK based and regularly lead ride outs, last Sunday with some spirited riding up the A68 and around the Scottish borders then down to Alston and home through the dales, all met up at 10am, most of us had filled up at the same station on route to our meeting point, set off and we run for around 100 miles, I put £10.07 97 octane fuel in the bike, then we ran 87 miles, I put £7.60 98 octane fuel in the bike. My mate with an MT 10 Yam used £13.80 and £10.80, used £6.93 more fuel than I did to cover the same distance, another rider on an S1000R used similar to the MT10 Yam, however 2 GSXR 1000's used similar fuel to me. Seems Suzuki can achieve good fuel returns without affecting the fun factor.
Simon W and oldjackbob like this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #5 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Also UK based. My basic rule is that I get 10 miles per litre, sorry to mix imperial and metric but that's the way it works here.

I always treat bike fuel gauges with a bit of suspicion as after brimming it says a range if around 150 miles, and seems to get more sensitive to riding styles the lower it gets.

Once turned on the ignition knowing I was low and it said 30 miles range but within a few hundred yards it said 11 so the ride to fill up 10 miles away was rather sedate. Think it took just shy of Suzuki's stated max to brim it again.
post #6 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
145 miles my GSX-S is basically out of gas.

FTECU flash, full M4 pipe, BMC race filter and a heavy wrist.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #7 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Is it damaging for the bike for it to be low on gas? I know for a car it is, it relies on the gas to cool the fuel pump.

Also what would happen if the bike did run out of gas, would the engine seize up throwing you off the bike, or would you still be able to coast to a stop?
post #8 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
The engine doesn't seize up but it does throw you some heavy engine braking. I had a fuel line clip break on my GSX-R600 on Mid Ohio in the middle of a turn. Way more abrupt than running out of gas, which would probably give some warning in a cough or sputter. Scary as **** to lose power while leaned over, but I managed to not drop it and coast into the corner worker station. Off the track it'd be much less of an issue though, but likely a more difficult recovery to get gas to the bike or the bike to gas.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #9 of 36 Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
mine is on the money between 160 180 miles ill start looking for gas...and theres enough gas to get me to 200 miles....thats a lot of high speed highway and wot pulls...Roy at 34 to 37 mpg is that track mileage or street...
mike d and Simon W like this.
post #10 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
Like Simon, I've got over 17lts in on a fill up. Did 208mls and range was reading zero for a couple of miles. I have found the dash readings quite accurate except on range at fill up like other folks.
Simon W likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page