• 2 Post By G-Dub

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
US Bike Lights High Beam use

I was going to post this in as a reply to Dekker's unanswered question in another thread called 'Glimpse of Appalachia' but thought the OP would not like the Thread high jacked.
Not that this ever happens here, of course.

Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
Sorry for any confusion, meant to say it looked like he was riding on "high beam" because the blue headlight warning light seemed to be on. Yes for sure we all ride with the headlight on.
Just one or two on the forum deliberately ride on high beam during the day.
Yes, I would like the many US Riders to clarify this high beam issue.

I've noticed on quite a few youtube vid's that the blue high beam light is burning away brightly. Florida seems to be one I remember mostly, but it could be individual rider's preference to blind everyone else.

Aust. bikes are made to overseas standards, so the Jap bikes come with lights hard wired on. I've read that Canadian and Australian Suzuki bikes are drawn from the German Market setting's for suspension, so does that apply for lighting as well?
Australian bikes probably like elsewhere had light switches fitted once. Then like too many places, rule's changed. The switch hole in the block was blocked off with a snapped in strip of plastic, then eventually it vanished over time.

Some years ago, We got a Bike Design Rule called ADR19 which made the hard wired legal. There was much Rider opposition and then around 10 - 20 years later (forgotten now) the death tallies showed no drop, and by agitation that ADR was revoked, so compulsory headlight on is now a footnote in our History.

Some decided to hack their bikes to turn the lights off by a retro fitted switch.
The rider's of old Brit bike's turned off the lights again in mass celebration.

Then the 2 most populated States, NSW & VIC, said they would introduce State requirements, and the Jap Importer's said that they would not have 2 lines of bikes, and so the Jap bikes all retained the stock hard wired.
I don't think this scare ever got legalised, but a couple of years ago, I saw new Triumph bikes had a light switch fitted.

Any comment on how effective is the US requirement of the 2 blinker light's burning full time. How effective is this?
To me, it would be only effective at night unless they were like bright LED car running lights.

Rob.
post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
new info never realized they where on,,,,now that i think of it ...id like a kill switch to shut lights off for those special times....anyone know of thats a simple task can it be done with just one wire involved....thats a mod id be interested in
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
For me it's about being as visible as possible. When the sun is out I run high beams as I'm competing with sunlight. If cloudy, dusk, or dawn I run low beam. And, of course, I'll run highs at night when there's no oncoming traffic.

One exception to my rule is when I'm riding in a group and not leading. I ride low beam always.

For posterity, I'm not required by local, state, or federal law to run high beams during the day. It's simply something I choose to do - actually it's habit - and I've some empirical evidence it's effective.

As for blinding people, I think I'm being pretty considerate. It comes down what level of light eyes are adjusted to. In low light conditions, yes, highs are blinding. But in sunlight highs are not blinding.

So, yes, I'm "one of those" people that runs high beams during the day (sometimes). But I'm thoughtful about it, and it's based on good intentions.

Hope this helps!
Rusty, G-Dub, mike d and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
For me it's about being as visible as possible. When the sun is out I run high beams as I'm competing with sunlight. If cloudy, dusk, or dawn I run low beam. And, of course, I'll run highs at night when there's no oncoming traffic.

One exception to my rule is when I'm riding in a group and not leading. I ride low beam always.

For posterity, I'm not required by local, state, or federal law to run high beams during the day. It's simply something I choose to do - actually it's habit - and I've some empirical evidence it's effective.

As for blinding people, I think I'm being pretty considerate. It comes down what level of light eyes are adjusted to. In low light conditions, yes, highs are blinding. But in sunlight highs are not blinding.

So, yes, I'm "one of those" people that runs high beams during the day (sometimes). But I'm thoughtful about it, and it's based on good intentions.

Hope this helps!
+1

I agree 100% and I've never noticed a motorist seem to be concerned in the least about my high beams in daylight when their eyes are adjusted to more light. I actually use Night Racer 110 bulbs that are brighter than normal. At night I ride bright until I'm close enough that I think it might bother someone (oncoming or behind), then dim. I've never had anyone flash their brights at me.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
new info never realized they where on,,,,now that i think of it ...id like a kill switch to shut lights off for those special times....anyone know of thats a simple task can it be done with just one wire involved....thats a mod id be interested in
I've got no idea why you would want to turn the headlight off (Particularly as I don't think you have position lights (fangs) in the US (separate lighting circuit)

BUT white wire directly connected to the headlight or white blue wire under the tank from the left hand handlebar switch block - either could be interrupted with a simple single pole on-off switch to turn off low beam headlight, still allowing position lights (if fitted) to work and still leaving working high beam (flashing) ability.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
A common-sense approach like lost posted above seems good advice. I occasionally use high beam during the day when I'm out riding the back roads, but I don't ride someone's bumper in traffic with highs, any time of day. There's a fine line between being noticed and being irritating.

I've said it before, but I think every rider should get out in front of their bike at least once and look at it under various light level conditions and distances to see what other drivers see. I've had bikes where the low beam was no more visible than the bike in daylight and it needed the high beam to even be seen. On other bikes it is possible high beam (or added auxiliary lighting) could be too bright even in daylight. (Meaning the glare from the lighting could obscure the bike, rider and the speed you're traveling from an observer.)

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2018, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
I've got no idea why you would want to turn the headlight off (Particularly as I don't think you have position lights (fangs) in the US (separate lighting circuit)

BUT white wire directly connected to the headlight or white blue wire under the tank from the left hand handlebar switch block - either could be interrupted with a simple single pole on-off switch to turn off low beam headlight, still allowing position lights (if fitted) to work and still leaving working high beam (flashing) ability.
thanks for info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page