User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking at a GSXS 1000, tell me what you guys think...

There's one close to me listing a new 2018 ABS F model at $8500. this is a great deal, no? Also does anyone take theirs on track days? How is it on the track? From reading the specs I think it should handle well but I'd like to hear if anyone has real world experience with it out there. This will be weird for me as I've only owned Honda sport bikes. I've got a 929 right now which I'll have to trade in for the GSXS1000. But I want something a little more comfortable for street riding but won't make me feel like I'm just getting lapped by everyone during a track day. I think these bikes look really nice and at a better price than the competitors, and it's also something you don't see much of around here. I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have to offer.
post #2 of 14 Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Welcome aboard Mate,
There are many track riders here who will address your questions with much more knowledge than me.
As a very much prior CBR929RR Owner (ancient history now for me, that bike), a stock GSXS1000 is equal to if now superior to that old bike.

Rob.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thraxdown View Post
There's one close to me listing a new 2018 ABS F model at $8500.

I was in the same boat after having to move on from my cbr1000rr.

In short. This is a great base for a bike but not in stock form. Get it and with a few key upgrades it can really kick butt.

I use it for long multi-day rides. Short commutes and several track days a year. After the upgrades Iíve done sheís perfect. I honestly didnít like it at first in stock form.

Unsafe jerky throttle. Bad in slippery turns (rain) and on the track. Iím managing the slide more than my line. Cheap rear shock that doesnít keep the tire on the ground and doesnít have adjustment.

Those were the main complaints. But I knew it going in.

With the money I saved (vs other naked bike options) I put the money into the parts that fit me perfectly.

My solutions are a bit overboard but address these main issues.

190/55 (not 50) rear tire. Running metzeler racetech k3 (spelling might be off). Also had and loved the pirelli diablo Rosso 3.

Nitron r3 rear shock. Specific to my weight with gear on and plenty of adjustments.

Power commander 5. Made the throttle almost perfect. But I wanted it to be smooth as butter. Thus: arrow headers, opened air box, cut flaps restricting air intake outside of frame. Power commander auto tune. mail-in Ecu reflash from Schnitz Racing. Akrapovic slip on can.

You donít need all of these. At least a new rear shock. Even the nitron r1 will be good unless youíre really pushing it at the track. And just a power commander to smooth out the bad throttle.

Still miss my cbr but now I love this bike too

id love to add photos to the post but this forum is too ghetto with the upload limits
oldjackbob likes this.

Last edited by sangedegsx; 10-14-2018 at 08:42 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
there is an entire thread about how adjusting the TPS drastically improves the snatchy throttle ... its easy to do and its free so start there.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
Seems like a good deal. See if you can schedule a test ride. I think you will like it.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
$8500 for a new one is a pretty good price. This is probably the best street bike I've owned. Sure, it has some quirks, but no more than any other bike. It's plenty fast, comfortable, and cheap! Coming from sport bikes, this is a great transition.

As for track use... Sure, it's capable of riding at the track, but I personally wouldn't bother. I guess it depends on your level, and what you want to accomplish. I'm a mid-pack advanced rider, and there is no way the GSXS can keep up with sport bikes at that level. If you're in the novice/intermediate range, I think the GSXS would be acceptable. You'll probably want to upgrade the brakes and tires at a minimum.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Great bike. Handles like a dream, but spend the $190 to reflash the ECU not only to smooth out the throttle but to take about 50% of the engine brake out. Dano's performance did mine..pretty much spot on. I went 1 up on the countershaft but that's just me. If you don't like the jolts in the rear suspension around town install a Hyperpro progressive spring and I just recently installed an IXIL silener which sounds great and improves the performance. Having said that the reflash is the most important thing you can do. Sweet Ride!
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1234 View Post
Great bike. Handles like a dream, but spend the $190 to reflash the ECU not only to smooth out the throttle but to take about 50% of the engine brake out. Dano's performance did mine..pretty much spot on. I went 1 up on the countershaft but that's just me. If you don't like the jolts in the rear suspension around town install a Hyperpro progressive spring and I just recently installed an IXIL silener which sounds great and improves the performance. Having said that the reflash is the most important thing you can do. Sweet Ride!
Chaz, what sprocket manufacturer, part number, etc., did you go with on the countershaft sprocket? I want to go to an 18 tooth but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Vortex ..2910-18 18 tooth 525...Not a perfect fit. I say that because I couldn't get the required torque before it hit the spline but got most of the torque on it...use blue loctite on the threads. I've had it on for over 3k miles and checked it several times for tightness and alignment and all is fine. Well worth the few minutes of install and much more road worthy and you will be surprised how much better the gears pull.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
All I can say is, if you get it, definitely check out one of the companiesto do a flash instead of doing fuel commander etc, research the companies and find the one that you prefer. Get the benefits that should of been enabled from factory and remove the jerkiness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page