• 2 Post By Beaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Traction control

Had a new rear tyre fitted on saturday, took the wheel in the car . fitted the wheel back on and didnt use the bike until monday commute . cold and damp roads , forgot about the new tyre, went to overtake a slow car and the rear just spun up and went sideways . My question is should the traction control of prevented this happening ? TC was set on 3.
post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
Well as it seems you didn't fall off it looks like it did it's job. Did you then try to provoke it again just as a test?

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
Well as it seems you didn't fall off it looks like it did it's job. Did you then try to provoke it again just as a test?
Haha yes i suppose you are right dekker, but i wasnt aware of the tc light coming on , and no i didnt provoke it as my pants were all ready full of shite
gixxerjasen and johnni nissen like this.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
TC won't prevent a tyre breaking loose, the idea is it prevents further slip/spin once it is sensed. Hopefully preventing a costly fall.
cookie likes this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2018, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Prevented, not necessarily. TC and ABS both come with warnings essentially to the effect of, it's the rider's job to prevent loss of traction. That being said, these systems exist because sometimes people make mistakes, like forgetting you've got a new tire, no biggie. It's important to recognize that TC is primarily reactive, it goes to work after a loss of traction, very quickly, but still after. The TC light can be easy to miss, especially if you're in a situation where it's working. If you started letting off the gas when the system engaged, you might not have noticed the difference; and if you pulled in the clutch the system would have been limited in what it could have done anyway. In either case, that's essentially the same as you having the skill not to need the system. It's also entirely possible the system did its job and that was the difference between pants filled with **** and pants shredded on the asphalt.

If you'd like to test it, try to wheelie on TC3, about all you'll get is a little bunny hop. Or your new tire will break loose, either way you should see the TC light blink and feel the power loss.
rcannon409 and cookie like this.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #6 of 6 Old 11-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Had a new rear tyre fitted on saturday, took the wheel in the car . fitted the wheel back on and didnt use the bike until monday commute . cold and damp roads , forgot about the new tyre, went to overtake a slow car and the rear just spun up and went sideways . My question is should the traction control of prevented this happening ? TC was set on 3.
It all depends on the situation Cookie. I've had the rear tire brake loose several times now. All either under poor road conditions, bad weather, or just trying really hard
I'd never rely on it to keep you safe but it does make quite a good wheelie suppressor so you can be a bit heavy handed and not worry about flipping it. It's especially good from a junction or traffic lights. But don't go for a big handful over a rise or you might find a way to flip it too

On the other side of the coin, sometimes its reducing power and you hardly even notice it. If you were to try WOT in TC3 sometimes it can feel a bit stuffy, like it's holding back. Do it again in TC1 and it takes off like a rocket.

I think the main point is, you will find there is a limit where the TC can help you or something can happen too fast for it to effectively react. It's a bit like changing to a new set of better tires you have never tried before. All the limits have changed and you have to find the new ones, hopefully without falling off in the mean time
cookie and oldjackbob like this.

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page