2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If I want to decat my Gsxs....?

How important is it that I also get a Power Commander?

I can't afford getting full headers and a PcV and recently I have been considering just the decat and pcv.
But what if I just did the decat?

While I'm aware that would have an effect of the bikes performance, I'm not really sure what that would entail....
I mean if it's just a loss of top end speed or a slower acceleration(random example) I could deal.
But if I'm going to be stalling out or having fueling issues(starving/surging)
I obviously need to wait till I can afford it.

I'm simply looking for the most cost effective yet responsible way to make myself heard.
post #2 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/exhau...available.html

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #3 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatcanisay88 View Post

I can't afford getting full headers and a PcV and recently I have been considering just the decat and pcv.

While I'm aware that would have an effect of the bikes performance, I'm not really sure what that would entail....
I mean if it's just a loss of top end speed or a slower acceleration(random example) I could deal.

I'm simply looking for the most cost effective yet responsible way to make myself heard.
A decat is a very cost effective upgrade, giving much more flow, less weight and a much better/louder noise

You will undoubtedly get more power (the top end of the stock bike is fairly rich anyway, but the bottom end of the rev range is already lean for emissions. So fitting a decat will make it slightly worse at the bottom end, unless you flash it and better in the mid range and top end.

Part of the worse bottom end is really just audible - you will hear the bike hunting more at low throttle openings, no stalling but maybe some surging.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Power commander, get it reflashed instead - there are not any great maps easily available for the PCV and for significantly less money you can get the ECU flashed that does far far more than a Power Commander can do (Ignition timing, in gear restrictions, fuelling, turning off errors etc). A mail in reflash in normally around 200GBP or 200USD, much less than just the PCV.

Information on upgrading the exhaust here

Information on reflash here
mike d and oldjackbob like this.

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 12-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did a decat, and Phuket Paul is right, amazing how much change my PCV and wide band did to the stock map fueling. Made it fatter at the bottom and leaner at the top.
I’d love to share the Map, but, have no way to post them. I would gladly if someone could tell me how.

Tom S
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
I recommend Dano's Performance for ECU flash $180 US

(Freedom Penguin made me post this)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
I recommend Dano's Performance for ECU flash $180 US

(Freedom Penguin made me post this)
Does Dano's just do a flash based on what you tell them your mods are, or do they need a dyno with data logging, or do they just have one size fits all, or what?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
He asked me what mods I have (like exhaust and air filter), I think he pretty much has a base map for our bike from initial Dyno runs on a customer’s bike. Transformed the bike, runs great (like it should).

If you go to his website, go to GSX S1000 Flash, then scroll to the very bottom of that page and you will see the list of what is encorporated in his flash.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Dano is an actual perf shop. He has done countless gsxr’s not sure if he’s had a gsxs or not on his dyno. But he has the experience from other maps and suzuko Dynos so whether or not he’s had one I don’t think would change much , probably helps that our bikes inherently a 2005 gsxr so really isn’t that much different really I’d imagine?

I was the first adopter here with one or two people, had a slight surge problem on a small opening, but he adjusted them with our feedback and fixed it and everyone after us seems to love it with the new corrected mapping and everything.

I know I do.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 12-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks this is actually perfect. You answered everything and then some. Sorry for the delay in response forgot my log in info and was to stubborn to reset it lol. Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatcanisay88 View Post

A decat is a very cost effective upgrade, giving much more flow, less weight and a much better/louder noise

You will undoubtedly get more power (the top end of the stock bike is fairly rich anyway, but the bottom end of the rev range is already lean for emissions. So fitting a decat will make it slightly worse at the bottom end, unless you flash it and better in the mid range and top end.

Part of the worse bottom end is really just audible - you will hear the bike hunting more at low throttle openings, no stalling but maybe some surging.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Power commander, get it reflashed instead - there are not any great maps easily available for the PCV and for significantly less money you can get the ECU flashed that does far far more than a Power Commander can do (Ignition timing, in gear restrictions, fuelling, turning off errors etc). A mail in reflash in normally around 200GBP or 200USD, much less than just the PCV.

Information on upgrading the exhaust here

Information on reflash here
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Danos did a fantastic job, called me and we went over everything before he did the flash, awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page